Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Communism can never work because it goes against the most fundamental characteristics of human nature.
Which are what - greed and selfishness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Communism can never work because it goes against the most fundamental characteristics of human nature.
And our system doesn't work well because it doesn't resist human nature. I say our system because it is not market capitalism. Market capitalism must be maintained. Free market is really an oxymoron. Markets are created with law.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,857 times
I agree - a free market can never really exist as it will just be controlled by those with the biggest sticks.

Regulation is entirely necessary, and it's the system of regulating which must be done correctly.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Really? FIRST sentence "Parasitism is a type of non mutual relationship between organisms of different species where one organism, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host."
"At the expense of" and "harmful" are not the same thing. My landlord "benefits at my expense" -- but doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.

You said "in most cases harm is done to the host". That is not at all true, and most hosts are not even aware that they have parasites, they just go on with their normal lives, consuming a little bit more in order to nourish their tacit parasites.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,857 times
so what is this parasite analogy about again?

we could say that the rich are parasites on the working man, or perhaps the other way around depending on your POV.

so which is it to be?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Human nature is not greed and selfishness. It is to achieve and separate one's self from the ordinary. Not everyone is like that - because some of the population is happy to cruise along.

But Communism's drive for equality ultimately fails because human nature is NOT to be equal.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
The system we have today is more communist than capitalist, but the key is to keep the people believing it is capitalist and that they can prosper by hard work in order to keep them productive.
With the wage and wealth disparity you see today, it will be much harder to get people to buy into that whole concept.
Going forward I believe you will see the workforce here in America much more demoralized and less willing to put any more effort into their jobs than they have to in order to stay employed.
Demoralization of the working class is for the most part what brought down the Soviet Union.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Duh, what else motivates people?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,831,353 times
Having seen and spoken to the communists and Marxists who were camped out during the occupy movement..all I felt was this almost un-controllable rage...Looking at their faces ...those same old stupid faces - those old faces of students that never grew up and who were now in their 50s....all I wanted to do was give them a good hard punch to the face (if it was legal)..

Looking at them I thought..These are the same faces and the same eyes that looked at my grandfather in the prisoners box The same faces and people who spent six years attempting to convict him for working hard- believing in God and making something of himself..These are the same lazy fanatics who starved my mothers family to death in the Ukraine....These are the same faces who littered the streets of every small town in China with the heads of thousands upon thousands of people who could think...nope- You had your chance- that is it for you and your stupid idea.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,831,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Having seen and spoken to the communists and Marxists who were camped out during the occupy movement..all I felt was this almost un-controllable rage...Looking at their faces ...those same old stupid faces - those old faces of students that never grew up and who were now in their 50s....all I wanted to do was give them a good hard punch to the face (if it was legal)..

Looking at them I thought..These are the same faces and the same eyes that looked at my grandfather in the prisoners box The same faces and people who spent six years attempting to convict him for working hard- believing in God and making something of himself..These are the same lazy fanatics who starved my mothers family to death in the Ukraine....These are the same faces who littered the streets of every small town in China with the heads of thousands upon thousands of people who could think...nope- You had your chance- that is it for you and your stupid idea.
I forgot to mention...The communists took six years to convict my grandfather..I guess he was well spoken..and made things difficult for these twits..What they did near the end was to take him out and shoot him dead- THEN they had the final trial and found him guilty...easy to convict a person without a voice..I don't care if this was over 70 years ago...as long as I am alive. Communists will never enter into government in my country...I would physically stand at the door and block them entry into any political theater....You don't kill one of my family members and get away with it. Time does not heal all wounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics