Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

It's like watching the locust spread.........

Walmart: Time lapse map shows how firm conquered the U.S. over the course of 50 years | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Companies that offer a compelling proposition to customers grow... those that don't die off. Walmart is the largest retailer in the world because customers find the benefits outweigh the dislikes. It is really that simple.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Companies that offer a compelling proposition to customers grow... those that don't die off. Walmart is the largest retailer in the world because customers find the benefits outweigh the dislikes. It is really that simple.
I just got home from my local WM, and spend several hundred per month there, minimum, consistently. Love the prices on name brand items. And the selection is superb.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
The small town mom and pop businesses scream foul when a supercenter opens near them....the evil WM is putting us out of business. I tried to support the mom and pop places, but walk in one with an AC/DC t-shirt on and the scowl faced staff follows me around acting like I'm going to steal something, gives me a hard time about taking a check and their return policy sucks not to mention they're charging way to much for the same Chinese made crap. I don't feel sorry for them a bit.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
The small town mom and pop businesses scream foul when a supercenter opens near them....the evil WM is putting us out of business. I tried to support the mom and pop places, but walk in one with an AC/DC t-shirt on and the scowl faced staff follows me around acting like I'm going to steal something, gives me a hard time about taking a check and their return policy sucks not to mention they're charging way to much for the same Chinese made crap. I don't feel sorry for them a bit.
Ditto. I hail their demise. Most in the town I grew up in (a middle class town) ripped off the locals, while living in more upscale towns, that would never have supported them. We had one super mom and pop, which did even BETTER after a WM arrived. It was NEVER ripping folks off. It provided super service with an easy return policy.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We had one super mom and pop, which did even BETTER after a WM arrived. It was NEVER ripping folks off. It provided super service with an easy return policy.
Exactly. I've seen many well-managed locally-owned single-line retailers thrive when Wally World comes to town because people coming from surrounding towns to shop at WalMart will often make it a point to shop at that store as well.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I don't mind supporting Walmart. The ones I don't like supporting are the Waltons themselves. At least the old mans kids anyway. Only the one daughter is doing any good with her money. She opened the free art gallery in Tennessee (not sure where). The others are drug addict drunks from what I can tell.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
a check lol

Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
I think Walmart's days are numbered. Someone will eventually rise up and take their spot. Why? Walmart is taking it's size for granted. I think a lot of retail in America is sort of in the same position that the domestic automakers were in the 60s and 70s when the import brands were starting to become more common in the USA. Detroit blew them off and ultimately paid the price. What I think will bury big box retail will be a combination of small scale retail (local and regional) and foreign retail outlets within the next 10 - 20 years.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I don't mind supporting Walmart. The ones I don't like supporting are the Waltons themselves. At least the old mans kids anyway. Only the one daughter is doing any good with her money. She opened the free art gallery in Tennessee (not sure where). The others are drug addict drunks from what I can tell.
I believe the art gallery you are referring is the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas (not Tennessee). It opened about 8 months ago, give or take, and it is not free. However, it is a major museum. The Walton daughter who gave her money to create that museum has had a large number of DUI tickets.

If there is also another art museum in Tennessee (paid for by the Walton daughter) I am not aware of it, and I would appreciate being corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics