Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM

434 posts, read 552,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
No, the company was/is trying to bust out the union so that they can deny good wages and decent benefits.

Bankruptcy can do that............

The union was asking too much. It's not like they were wanting to pay minimum wage to everybody. They want to find good help and pay them what they were worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, I'm sorry to inform you that yes, one of the processes we designed was for bread baking. It's quite apparent to me that you are either lying about your experience or your process was flat out terrible.
Well, as I stated originally, unless you were in the bakery business as Hostess was, you wouldn't know. Since you were (and unlike you, I won't call you a liar), I trust you know what you're talking about.

You DO NOT know squat about what I was manufacturing, however, so it's moronic to say that I'm lying or that my "process was flat out terrible." If it had been, we wouldn't have been one of the more profitable such businesses in the west.

And why would I lie? I was simply questioning your experience.

Also I never said I "believe that labor is the driving cost in every single breakdown." Why would you say I did? Where the heck do you come up with this kind of crap? It's misstatements like these that make me wonder how factual the rest of you posts are. Here's my statement, which is far from blaming labor for "every single breakdown":

Quote:
None of us know what all brought down Hostess. Probably even its top brass doesn't know what could have been done to save it. Obviously it had problems other than its workers. It suffered from a country that turned healthy on them, for one thing. Twinkies became a joke. Moms who put a Twinkie in their kids' school lunch were probably considered bad parents. Add the recession on top of that, higher materials costs, higher packaging costs, higher payroll, higher everything.... Management hoped for some cost-cutting help from its employees, and apparently most were willing, but not all.
Blather on if you like. I'm finished with this thread.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
The boxes of hostess snake cakes have gotten smaller so thats the reason i stopped buying them. A box of 8 hostess cupcakes went from 16 oz to 14 to 12.6. The ceo,top management & bakers union are pure trash. Does anyone know what wages were the employees earning ? Im sure it was above min wage. Right ?
http://hostessbrands.com/Closed.aspx

Last edited by steel7; 11-17-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The boxes of hostess snake cakes have gotten smaller so thats the reason i stopped buying them. A box of 8 hostess cupcakes went from 16 oz to 14 to 12.6. The ceo,top management & bakers union are pure trash. Does anyone know what wages were the employees earning ? Im sure it was above min wage. Right ?
Hostess Brands is Closed
$14-$16/hr. Not terribly much if you ask me. Of course, all the FOX news zealots will tell you it was +$40/hr and the union demanded gold gold plated cars and stuff.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
If bimbo buys hostess what will happen ? Im sure hostess will stay in the usa....right ?
Mexican company Bimbo may be eyeing Twinkies - World News

Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM

193 posts, read 458,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
$14-$16/hr. Not terribly much if you ask me. Of course, all the FOX news zealots will tell you it was +$40/hr and the union demanded gold gold plated cars and stuff.
Which is about what bakers at Costco (they might actually make more), and other bakeries make.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post
Which is about what bakers at Costco (they might actually make more), and other bakeries make.
Yea, but those poor bakers at Costco don't get free unicorns and Ferraris and stuff. Those greedy unions!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
When you shorten the supply chain and eliminate the middle man, you take the wholesale markup. By making their own baked goods, Costco eliminates the markup added by Hostess on baked goods.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
Entitlements have exacerbated our "real" debt estimated by some leading economists at more than doubling the debt and beyond to as high as 45 trillion! This represents the end of traditional pay raises (but in fairness not a total elimination). Instead of 6% we see 3% . Unions still have some clout, but generally where skilled workers make up the the work force for that given industry albeit indespensible. Hostess might attrition out older employees (one traditional method we are all familiar with) also turnover strikers thereby replacing them with a pool of thousands desperate for jobs. You have to weigh the value of existing oriented and trained employees and their production as opposed to newbee needing very expensive retraining and no established loyalty? These senarios are I believe protected within the union security blanket (better known as high end lawyers taking Hostess downtown!). Employees are striking in a horrible economy in which America and most of the world is bankrupt. You can be cocky and simply say your lucky to have a job, but Hostess is a solvent multi-product success story and I say employees and the union should go for it! Ching Ching! my little cupcakes! Ho Ho....stop

Last edited by Rabbidave; 11-17-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
When you shorten the supply chain and eliminate the middle man, you take the wholesale markup. By making their own baked goods, Costco eliminates the markup added by Hostess on baked goods.
Apparently the free market agrees with the value of the unionized Hostess workers regardless. If your competitor has found a way to do something more efficiently, and your business can't compete, quit crying about a bunch of $15/hr union workers. They're just trying to defend their modest pay. Either way, it clearly was time for Hostess to accept the writing on the wall... It's time to move on.

Hey, while we're at, why don't we also get rid of those totally unnecessary minimum wage laws. If only we could get people to work for 50 cents an hour, we would all be doing great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics