Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times

Advertisements

I didn't exactly know where to put this so I thought maybe this would be the place. Here goes. I have not had a store credit card for decades. I have only a debit card and VISA card through my credit union. I know, I am an anachronism.

But recently I nearly succumbed when the nice saleslady at Macy's asked me if I wanted to sign up for a Macy's card while I was charging my purchases on my VISA. I thought a moment and said "Sure, why not?"

Then began the interrogation. I don't remember being asked all the questions she asked or having to show so much ID but I figured well okay with all the identity theft I guess they have to. But then came the deal breaker. She asked me to punch in my social security number in her little machine that took the credit card information.

"What??!! Why??!" I exclaimed. She told me everyone asked for this these days. I told her that on the contrary everyone is being advised not to give out SS numbers especially senior citizens like me. I am in my mid sixties and look it.

So we canceled the transaction and left feeling very uneasy. Was this a scam or for real? Before I left, I casually mentioned that my bank calls and verifies every charge on my card over one hundred dollars. My purchase that day totaled $91.00. Actually it actually takes more than that to generate a call but just in case I figured she should know that I have this service. Am I paranoid? You bet.

I bank online and have been keeping an eye on my VISA account. So far it's fine.

But my question is, and I apologize for the length of my post, does anyone know if the stores are really asking for people's SS numbers just to sign up for a store credit card? I think this is just nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,633 times
I haven't applied for a card in a while but I would think it is common. In the old days when we had to fill out a credit card application, we had to write in our social along with income and employment. I don't think they require that anymore, just the social. But I'm not really sure??

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I haven't applied for a card in a while but I would think it is common. In the old days when we had to fill out a credit card application, we had to write in our social along with income and employment. I don't think they require that anymore, just the social. But I'm not really sure??
The key to your post is "in the old days". In general, it is becoming much less common to be asked for one's Social Security number. I haven't applied for a credit card for a very long time, so I'm not sure about the OP's situation either, but like her, I would have been very suspicious and I would have cancelled the transaction.

When opening a bank account, yes, they will require the SS number. And the banks have no choice in the matter either; Homeland Security has rules for the banks to follow regarding verifying the identity of customers. All that I do have recent experience with.

I, too, look forward to further answers.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM

I can understand banks asking for it. That's okay. I guess for me too it's been so long since I signed up for a store card I don't remember. Good point about how everyone used to aske for your SS number. I remember back in the 60's your college ID number was your SS number and you gave it out to everyone.

I thought though in today's world no one asked for it and those who had to only required the last four digits for ID.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,633 times
The store cards that I have are serviced by banks vs. the actually store. So that is another indication of why they are asking for your social. I think you are smart to just use the Visa.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
The store cards that I have are serviced by banks vs. the actually store. So that is another indication of why they are asking for your social. I think you are smart to just use the Visa.
I didn't know that. You are absolutely right. I may as well just use my VISA in that case.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM

195 posts, read 350,348 times
You were applying for credit. The store needs your social security number to run your credit. They need to know if you pay on time and if you can afford the credit(some people have too much debt and will be declined based on that)

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I didn't exactly know where to put this so I thought maybe this would be the place. Here goes. I have not had a store credit card for decades. I have only a debit card and VISA card through my credit union. I know, I am an anachronism.

But recently I nearly succumbed when the nice saleslady at Macy's asked me if I wanted to sign up for a Macy's card while I was charging my purchases on my VISA. I thought a moment and said "Sure, why not?"

Then began the interrogation. I don't remember being asked all the questions she asked or having to show so much ID but I figured well okay with all the identity theft I guess they have to. But then came the deal breaker. She asked me to punch in my social security number in her little machine that took the credit card information.

"What??!! Why??!" I exclaimed. She told me everyone asked for this these days. I told her that on the contrary everyone is being advised not to give out SS numbers especially senior citizens like me. I am in my mid sixties and look it.

So we canceled the transaction and left feeling very uneasy. Was this a scam or for real? Before I left, I casually mentioned that my bank calls and verifies every charge on my card over one hundred dollars. My purchase that day totaled $91.00. Actually it actually takes more than that to generate a call but just in case I figured she should know that I have this service. Am I paranoid? You bet.

I bank online and have been keeping an eye on my VISA account. So far it's fine.

But my question is, and I apologize for the length of my post, does anyone know if the stores are really asking for people's SS numbers just to sign up for a store credit card? I think this is just nuts.
Where I work, yes, if a person applies for our store credit card they are asked to input their SS number. I think they do it so they can check credit records and accept or deny the application. It always amazes me that they can do that in less than five minutes. For something that is supposed to be so "secret" there sure are a LOT of places/businesses that ask for it. Including applying for jobs online, etc.. People who cash checks through our customer service are also required to input their SS number. THAT I think is totally unnecessary. The bank doesn't require that...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM

344 posts, read 427,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
You were applying for credit. The store needs your social security number to run your credit. They need to know if you pay on time and if you can afford the credit(some people have too much debt and will be declined based on that)

^ El Correcto

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
DW had a Macy's CC once. With the hassles she had in mind, you may have saved yourself some grief by pulling back.

A credit card may have an obligation at this point to link it to a SS #. The government is becoming more intrusive and more interested in being able to follow money. The enhanced driver's license in Alabama requires both SS # and certified birth certificate. "1984" was years ago, and it is a Brave New World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics