Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times

Advertisements

"Solar power and other distributed renewable energy technologies could lay waste to U.S. power utilities..."

Solar panels could destroy U.S. utilities, according to U.S. utilities | Grist

Interesting. I wonder how long it will take before the utilities lay claim to the potential energy above my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Maybe my area is unique, but Idaho Power supports the solar movement. Currently, they will buy back any excess power provided by a home on the grid. In other words, if you produce more power than you use on a given day, they give you a credit on your bill. I don't know if they go so far as to cut a check, or just give you a zero balance if you are net positive for the overall month. For now, at least, contributions from consumers help keep up with rising demand without requiring much, if any, investment by the utility company.

I anticipate it being a long long time before most companies can generate enough solar power to run their operations. The technology is getting good enough that residences can just about support themselves with a reasonable number of panels at a reasonable cost, but businesses are a whole different story. Therefore, the power companies will still be needed to get the power from where it is generated to where it is being used.

Plus there will always be some areas that are much sunnier than others, or cloud covered during certain times of year for weeks or months at a time, so there is still a need to move power from one area to another.

The size and scope of the power companies may decrease over time, but there will be a need for the infrastructure and the company to handle some aspects for a very long time.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
That willot happen as then they would not give tax beaks. Solar is very limited as to sense it makes 3ehere with antural gas.Besides the governamnt will misss the taxes and fees they add and have to atx solar panels likely.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
More doom and gloom.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Breaking news:

Generating power may put power generating companies out of business. More at six.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM

131 posts, read 210,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
"Solar power and other distributed renewable energy technologies could lay waste to U.S. power utilities..."

Solar panels could destroy U.S. utilities, according to U.S. utilities | Grist

Interesting. I wonder how long it will take before the utilities lay claim to the potential energy above my house.
I imagine this is the same type of situation that is presented to oil companies; imagine if a car was built that had 200/MPG, they'd do there best to kill it off. No one, I mean no one who owns a business wants to see competition that could actually 'help' the people more than they can.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Adapt or Die.

But ti won't happen till battery tech gets better.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I don't know about the power companies, but eventually the state will tax it.

Half my electric bill is assorted taxes and special fees. When the government does not get that tax money, they will get it some other way.

I already pay a sewer bill for a house that doesn't have a sewer line within a mile of it. The city just calls it a "storm water" bill. No storm drains within a mile, either. But they are going to get their money one way or the other.

So, when the tax money stops from the electric bill, you can look forward to a solar usage tax.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well water could put water untilties out fo business too . Its the fiacing that is the problem as we see now that solar had s to be heavily subsidised in this contury to even exist .Lokig at natural gas its unlike in this country because of its cost basis.It makes alot more cost sense i asian coutnries like Japan and china. But eben tehre solar thigns like hot water heaters make the most solar sense on cost basis.Remmebr when wind trubanes where goig to be the soltuion. When you hae alr terntives push for year ike nw and tehy makeup less tha 1% of need that tells the story.Of alternative the leader still is wood.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well water could put water untilties out fo business too . Its the fiacing that is the problem as we see now that solar had s to be heavily subsidised in this contury to even exist .Lokig at natural gas its unlike in this country because of its cost basis.It makes alot more cost sense i asian coutnries like Japan and china. But eben tehre solar thigns like hot water heaters make the most solar sense on cost basis.Remmebr when wind trubanes where goig to be the soltuion. When you hae alr terntives push for year ike nw and tehy makeup less tha 1% of need that tells the story.Of alternative the leader still is wood.
Wood? You mean using wood as a fuel? I don't think that's a solution. As far as everyone having wells instead of using public water, that's just impossible.

Speaking of wind turbines, check this wind farm out.

Roscoe Wind Farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reported to produce enough electricity for 250,000 average homes.

God bless Texas for being innovators on renewable energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics