Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Doom and gloom much?

Did you read the article?

Only sales OVER 1 MILLION it will affect.

Also you will double your prices over less than 10% of state taxes. That make no sense at all.

You sound like you run quite the business.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had visions of being up to my eyeballs in paperwork paying taxes to each state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
But lets start with the so many redundant social programs costing so much money. Strange how it also comes down to military spending to solve these little convenience issues.
Like it or not military spending is less important than any social program that shields the people from abject poverty.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I use the internet to shop for much that we need since we are now on a fixed income. Net Tax on everything will hurt many people from seniors, unemployed, under employed to the poor. A small cut in military spending would make this tax unnecessary.

Tax-free Internet shopping jeopardized by bill
A sam mall cut in military spending isn't oig to happen as we are now doig a huge cut already just to bring governemtn spendig i line. Bascially i don't like it but internet taxes collected is only fair and just way of raising taxes on spending equally. Poeple gripe about jobs then want to elimnate mnay jobs by marketing at both lower numbers needed and lower cost plus attaction of no taxes. its like cars gettig better mialage and the less income created thru less tax revenues. the roads still have to have fundig to be maintain ;so anther way of raisng revenues has to be devised. You not wantig taxes is commo but you alos want those services that are not priotity of governamtn made poosible thru them.Entitlemnts are a large protion of lower income and without fundig they will disappear as like already.Has CBO said the military budget ;not war sepndig which is not budgetted and borrowed mostly;Is noit there yto be sut like in was when Cliotn made the famous 'peace dividend' cuts after regan and cold war endig with russia.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
I will agree with the OP that military spending is a huge, huge, bloated part of our budget that could take some serious cutting without hindering our actual ability to do what military is supposed to do- defend our own soil. But it would mean a change in policy in not being a world empire as we are doing now, which I hope our leaders quickly realize we need to do. Why cut programs that actually help people or our infrastructure here at home when money is being piddled away by the billions on bombs and military bases in Equatorial Guinea with no benefit at all to us here at home?

And on the sales tax thing, I rarely if ever make purchases from online retailers without being charged sales tax- are there really a lot of sites these days that still sell things without collecting sales tax? I'm surprised by that. But I'm all for collecting sales tax online, otherwise it's unfair to brick and mortar stores that these online retailers can skirt by the laws and make their deals look more attractive by selling items tax-free.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Why are people here still talking about military spending? It has absolutely nothing with this bill, or the idea of making it easier for states to collect sales tax from out of state sellers?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I'm for this.

Our brick-and-mortar retailers are being decimated by online retail. Something has to be done to level the playing field. Either tax Internet retail or eliminate taxes for brick and mortar. The tax code should not favor one over the other.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm for this.

Our brick-and-mortar retailers are being decimated by online retail. Something has to be done to level the playing field. Either tax Internet retail or eliminate taxes for brick and mortar. The tax code should not favor one over the other.
Internet retail is already taxed. It's considered goods that were purchased outside of the state.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Internet retail is already taxed. It's considered goods that were purchased outside of the state.
This is NOT true, if you buy goods outside of your state you pay the sales tax in the state you buy it in. Internet purchasing has taken billions of dollars out of state coffers and almost ruined the economy in many states. Allowing the states to recover that missing money will save the economy of many of the states.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm for this.

Maybe if brick and mortar stores didn't charge so much, they could be fair competition!

I think a state sales tax is fair.. local isn't. Many online retailers already charge you tax when you order online. If they have a shop in your state - they charge you sales tax.

It creates less load on the infrastructure for me and several people to order online.. Less cars on the road means less wear and tear on the roads. This also includes the load on the infrastructure to provide utilites to said brick and mortar stores.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Like it or not military spending is less important than any social program that shields the people from abject poverty.
That's Argueable. However there is no point. Not only is there little 'Social programs' which even come CLOSE to doing that, but it CAN be argued (Through generational use of social programs) that they actually PROMOTE poverty.

You want food provided... I can live with that.

It provided in such a way that people can spend it on junk food, get a check for 'pimpin' their car, free housing, and a free phone...

Not so much .

I will support a cut in military spending, But I want the SAME BILL do ALSO comparably cut social programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics