Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP has a point. I know several people who complain non-stop about being broke, yet they eat in restaurants, go to clubs, drink, smoke, have lots of new clothes, and have a big car payment for a new car.

Too many Americans think their problem is not earning enough money, when their real problem is that they can't manage a budget. I suspect it wouldn't matter how big their salary was, they would still be broke.

I think my problem is not earning enough money and nobody disagrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think my problem is not earning enough money and nobody disagrees with me.
No, your problem is being lazy and unwilling to do anything to better yourself!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No, your problem is being lazy and unwilling to do anything to better yourself!
It's best if you try to make your point without launching a gratuitous attack on another poster.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
It's best if you try to make your point without launching a gratuitous attack on another poster.

It's not an attack, and it IS the point.

He has posted many 'woe is me' threads and posts, and has refused/ignored all advice regarding to self betterment that has been stated in the past.
He would rather continue to be an unskilled 'burger flipper'.... Fine by me if that's what he wants...
I choose not to be 'conventionally employed'... and accept the bad with the good.
He doesn't.

But if someone actively chooses to NOT gain ANY skills in about half a century... the problem is not the income, it's the income producer!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Also, I've known people who have coupons (e.g. buy 1 dinner, get 1 free) for every single restaurant they go to. My kids get free amusement park vouchers all the time too. OP, did you ask them if they are using coupons for the restaurants and amusement parks?

Great point. If you use these wisely, its cheaper than cooking. Plus in our case, the leftovers are usually another meal, sometimes 2 more. Simply eating out isn't necessarily a budget buster.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Why is that best? According to who? Is this fact or just your opinion?

I happen to agree with the comment in many, many cases.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I am always amazed at the positions that people take.

Here is my amazing position and yes I do amaze myself.

1. You choose your own life and position in it. For 99% of people out there, If you are poor and remain so that is no one elses fault but your own. If you are wealthy and built that wealth on your own that is no one elses fault but your own. For this discusion we will leave out those that inherited wealth. Although they can be lumped in here as well. The reason is that many of them lose the wealth that they were given and end up poor.

2. No one can keep you in any financial position other than yourself. If you are currently poor but want to be wealthy no one is keeping you from that goal. If you don't like being poor or not being able to go our to eat or visit an amusement park, or take a trip to Hawaii, or buy a boat then you can change that.

3. Lack of a formal education will not keep you from being successfull. Many within the Forbes 400 have less education than I do. Some never even made it out of High School. The real deal is that lack of anything will not keep you from becoming successfull.

4. People spend too much time wondering how they are going to pay the bills and hardly any time on how they are going to make more money. This is the fear mentality while you should focus on the faith mentality. Have faith that you will make it in life then work with everything that you have to make sure that you do.

5. It may take money to make money but it doesn't have to be your money. The fastest route to a Billion $'s was with an idea that a Turkish imigrant had. He found a Yogurt factory that was forsale and he secured a $1 million loan to buy the property and start his business. That was 5 years ago and the business is now worth $1billion. To top it off he is the sole owner of the business.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
I agree! I work with people who complain of being so broke, are in debt up to their ears, etc, but yet every morning they walk in with a $4 Starbucks coffee that they picked up on the drive in to work, they go out to lunch instead of bringing their own lunch to work, they eat out quite often for dinner, they go to bars on the weekends, and always have the latest most expensive smartphones. I don't say anything, but it is obvious where all of that debt is coming from!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Great point. If you use these wisely, its cheaper than cooking. Plus in our case, the leftovers are usually another meal, sometimes 2 more. Simply eating out isn't necessarily a budget buster.
It's actually cheaper for us to get steak dinners at Outback than to buy all the ingredients and cook the same meal at home. I've done the math. Outback has bulk buying efficiencies for steaks that my family doesn't have, and steaks are rarely on sale at the local grocery store.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
It's actually cheaper for us to get steak dinners at Outback than to buy all the ingredients and cook the same meal at home. I've done the math. Outback has bulk buying efficiencies for steaks that my family doesn't have, and steaks are rarely on sale at the local grocery store.
God forbid you eat something besides steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics