Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM

384 posts, read 1,133,651 times

Advertisements

I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me, but I have a project I have to do for a class and am having trouble finding out certain information for a company I am doing research on.

It is Shire PLC, and as far as most of the information goes, I found it all. However, I do not understand nor did my professor explain it all that well to me how to find the five year market share graphs for this company, or the two year analysis of competitive market shares.

I understand I want to see how Shire (a drug company) is doing as far as their products are concerned against competitors. What I don't understand is where to find this information. I do not want you guys to do this for me, nor am I asking that, I just want some pointers in the right direction. I have tried the website, shire plc, and no luck for me. Some databases as well.

If anyone has experience looking for this information for investment decisions, please add your input because it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,495,594 times
Did you check websites like this - SHPGY - Stock Quote for Shire ADR - MSN Money

Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,611,088 times
I'd research the company's drugs and the competing drugs in those categories. This can be done by going to the company's web site Shire (http://www.shire.com/shire/ - broken link) and reading the company reports. Nearly half of the company's revenues are derived from the sales of the ADHD drug Adderall. As a start, I would track down the market for ADHD drugs and chart the sales for Adderall and its competitors. After you calculate the market share for each of the drugs, you can create a composite market share by weighting each drug by its percentage of Shire's overall pharmaceutical revenues.

Last edited by lchoro; 11-06-2007 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 AM

384 posts, read 1,133,651 times
That was the direction I was going for because as a drug company they are relatively small compared to their competitors such as Merck and Johnson & Johnson. I think this is the best route to go as I was researching last night. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics