Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM

329 posts, read 460,452 times

Advertisements

I read today that Google is going to make a taxy and there won't be any taxy driver in it.
How wonderful is that.!

Millions of drivers losing their job in the future. Why employ drivers when they are not needed?

Some other jobs are going to be created like software controllers, but less position will be filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM

258 posts, read 421,847 times
This isn't going to be the end of the world. For one thing, I don't think that Google will be able to replace human taxi drivers with self driven cars in any large scale, not any time soon. There are also advantages to having a person driving the car, and certainly many people will still choose traditional taxi service. In the far future, self driven cars may replace not only taxi drivers but allsorts of chaufers- limo drivers, shuttle and bus drivers, etc.

This would not be the first time that a profession was rendered obsolete by technology, displacing people from jobs. That's what technology does. At one point in history telephone calls had to be connected by an operator, then technology was created which made that unneccesary, and there went the switchboard operator job. Many jobs have become obsolete this way. But this doesn't happen suddenly, the switch would be gradual and give taxi drivers a chance to look into other jobs they would like to do instead.

~Katy

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Just saw these robots with arms and head in Japan. It will replace many factory jobs.

I bet now they program them to be cashiers or do fast food jobs and they will be soon in the USA. They are slow but can work for free and 24/24.

My god, what are we going to do? Are you all going to be under assisted programs?

Wake up America, wake up... Even your 7 $ job is going to disappear.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
none of you people have a problem using technology that didnt exist 100 years ago that better your life but got rid of jobs from 100 years ago- seems silly and hypocritical think technology will stop evolving in a way that eliminates some jobs but creates other new ones

Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Technology before still needed human arms and legs.

Now human body is replaced by these freaking robots.

Soon a robot will replace your teacher, cashier, President of the USA and even your wife...

Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
that's not really true
lots of tools and machines have been out for a long time that saved tons of man hours

so go live like people did a few hundred years ago, hunt for food and farm using antiquated tools and you won't have to worry about jobs
the world changes and evolves. people who cry about it get left behind, people who change with it and find a new way to be productive prosper.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 PM

258 posts, read 421,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
Technology before still needed human arms and legs.

Now human body is replaced by these freaking robots.

Soon a robot will replace your teacher, cashier, President of the USA and even your wife...
I'm pretty sure it isn'tthe arms and legs that are what do those jobs. It's the BRAIN.

Besides, cashiers are starting to be phased out, too, already with self checkouts. None of the jobs you listed could be done by a robot, because they wouldn't be easily interfaced with. Just because it can move like a human doesn't mean it can think like one.

~Katy

Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM

Oh yes. Go YouTube.... These robots have arms and brain and can be programmed In a few minutes and do your job. They can learn their mistakes and reprogram themselves.

They are smart, smarter than you. They do no mistake. They are just slower now but they work 24/7

You don't know what you are talking about.

Soon most jobs in USA will be replaced by robots.

Assistant nurses, postmen, police, soldiers, farmers...

Sounds crazy but that's the future. Why should we pay you a salary plus tax when a robot can work better and faster for free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOk...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsM...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJc...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7I0...e_gdata_player

Last edited by cheapcharly; 08-25-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
you can see a driverless car at the end of this commercial. jump to 2:30 to skip ahead.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
Oh yes. Go YouTube.... These robots have arms and brain and can be programmed In a few minutes and do your job. They can learn their mistakes and reprogram themselves.

They are smart, smarter than you. They do no mistake. They are just slower now but they work 24/7

You don't know what you are talking about.

Soon most jobs in USA will be replaced by robots.

Assistant nurses, postmen, police, soldiers, farmers...

Sounds crazy but that's the future. Why should we pay you a salary plus tax when a robot can work better and faster for free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOk...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsM...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJc...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7I0...e_gdata_player
Iit will decades until the expense makes it affordable widely and first are likely to be care givers to help older people being worked on in Japan. With a leg electronic prosthesis costing 40k alone not many are going to be able to afford one soon and they are relatively simple. But I still have image of a driver just for chat that can change personalities from one like in The Bishops Wife to taxi driver when the thug says give me the money to;"Are you talking to me" type. Of course at 65 i'm still waiting on the moving sidewalks and flying cars science said in mid 50's would be common by the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics