Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM

415 posts, read 764,852 times

Advertisements

As it stands right now I keep most my Familys savings with one of the most criminal global banks, JP-Morgan Chase and lately I keep reading How they keep getting caught Dirty and have fines leveled against them, Old Jamie Dimond just either plays the I didn't know' or So what, I will pay your chump change and continue to pilfer where I can...
Now if your a global banker and you get caught Dirty they charge you with Deferred prosecution= no jail time, no recorded, just a slap on the wrist, So why not push it''

So I been wondering if much smaller banks or credit unions are a safer place to keep ones savings ?? or if a Global bank like Chase goes down would the shock waves tank the smaller lender-holding intuitions ??

thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
The FDIC protects savings accounts in banks up to $250,000. The NCUA protects savings accounts in FCUs up to $250,000. Make sure that the bank or credit union belongs to these organizations and is insured by them.

I, personally, prefer FCUs. I belong to two. I have savings and checking accounts, debit cards, credit cards, direct deposit, and on-line banking with them. I financed a house with one. I've financed all my cars since 1989 with one or the other. You get better rates when you borrow, when you save, you grow a local, not global, business, and all with much lower, if any, fees (I don't pay any fees). I've also used my FCU debit and credit cards for out of state purchases with no problems, and even used the debit card in the automated parking machines in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario, Canada.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
The FDIC protects savings accounts in banks up to $250,000. The NCUA protects savings accounts in FCUs up to $250,000. Make sure that the bank or credit union belongs to these organizations and is insured by them.

I, personally, prefer FCUs. I belong to two. I have savings and checking accounts, debit cards, credit cards, direct deposit, and on-line banking with them. I financed a house with one. I've financed all my cars since 1989 with one or the other. You get better rates when you borrow and when you save (although those are pretty paltry these days!); you grow a local, not global, business; and all with much lower, if any, fees (I don't pay any fees). I've also used my FCU debit and credit cards for out of state purchases with no problems, and even used the debit card in the automated parking machines in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario, Canada.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Hmm the FDIC, the 10 minutes of research I did on FDIC so called Insured, show's that the FDIC has only around 32 billion in backing and yet insures over 6 trillion in private holdings-deposits, so how does that work...lol

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Crickets'' Ok emm FDIC Banks are 100% safe, lol........move along people....

Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
I think you need to be more specific. A quick google search show that FDIC insured banks have 13.5 trillion in assets.

13 trillion in assets > 6 trillion liabilities.
FDIC Insured Institutions have $13.3 Trillion in Assets. 8,195 Banks and 116 Institutions Hold $10.2 Trillion of Those Assets. One out of Four Institutions Unprofitable. 1,000 Banks Will Fail or Merge.

If you are weary of FDIC banks then you have to go offshore.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:08 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
Really, if you want some peace of mind about your bank, go with one that is not an investment bank, and doesn't attempt to sell you any kind of investment vehicle. A local credit union would suffice, but that carries it's own risks too. You don't want to have your money tied up in one that does a lot of risky lending, either residential or commercial.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,450 times
consider the fact that if the FDIC fails its likely because the rest of the US economy (and possibly the entire global economy) has collapsed....in this case the dollar amount in that account will likely be meaningless regardless of where it is kept.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM

from what I under stand the FDIC has a list of problem banks, but it's not viewable to the public (guess they dont want a run on said Banks) but i did find a site that claims to track them and i did find several banks in my area that have made the FDIC and the occ list, is your bank on it??

Unofficial Problem Bank List

and some info about FDIC's standing with charts n what not....if accurate? I dont know...

Problem Bank List

Old 09-28-2013, 02:52 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I can't see any benefit to keeping more than $250,000.00 in cash in a savings account, except for extremely briefly while the funds are being moved around.

If you have more than that $250,000 in a savings account, then spread it out over a couple of different Banks, Savings and Loans, and Credit Unions. Not-all-eggs-in-one-basket sort of business plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics