Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Chris and Meg Reis are on their way to long medical careers. Now it's time to deal with $500,000 in student loans.

Money Magazine) -- It's Wednesday evening and Megan Reis can't remember when she last saw her husband Chris. Small wonder. Since Sunday morning, Meg has worked more than 60 hours at Advocate Hope Children's Hospital, the Chicago-area facility where she is training in pediatrics.

Young doctors in debt - Nov. 16, 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Way too stressful....

And she's expecting a baby.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 PM

138 posts, read 979,161 times
I read this same article, before finding this post. Interesting story. That seems like a lot of debt. I thought the article actually said $700,000K in total student loans. Even with low interest rates....that's a sizable amount of money.....just in interest alone.

About 8 years ago, right out of college, I did a mortgage re-finance for a 2 doctors (husband & wife). Looking at his W-2, I could see he paid more in Federal Taxes, than I made that year. The wife wasn't making much yet.

They had $380K in student loans and about another $45K in credit cards. A re-fi consolidation loan put $1,200 a month back in their pocket each month. They only had $200 in the bank....at the time, but they did show me their $8K table, $9K curtains, $3K painting and $25K collector guitar. I was thinking.....sell some of this junk.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,332 times
The could have gone to an in State medical school for $9K a year and left college with less than $100K in debt. They financed everything and did not work as much as they should. No pity.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 AM

28 posts, read 77,187 times
Or, they could have received a government loan write-off for working for a couple of years in an underserved area, like a reservation or remote rural area. My father did this by working in Algeria and then Kenya after getting his MD (he was a Belgian citizen at the time, and there was some sort of political connection...), and my brother-in-law's wife did this by working in a small town on the upper peninsula of Michigan. Of course, she thought THAT was a hardship (hah!) and bought her way out of it after a year. Still, much cheaper. I don't see a lot of doctors willing to do that type of thing any more, though. Anyone know one who does house calls, for instance? My grandfather lived in Concord, NH and did tons of them, and had his practice on the first floor of his house. Those were the days when insurance was simpler, I guess. He didn't die rich, but apparently the church wasn't big enough to hold the crowd for his funeral. Other ways to be rich than that fancy collector guitar, hunh?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I can't think of this as being news. Medical and legal graduate programs have always been about insane debt.

What does frighten me is the prospect of being either one of their patients. I'm sorry, but I do not want a doctor that is as stressed out, exhausted and overworked as either of these people.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can't think of this as being news. Medical and legal graduate programs have always been about insane debt.

What does frighten me is the prospect of being either one of their patients. I'm sorry, but I do not want a doctor that is as stressed out, exhausted and overworked as either of these people.
Most interns and residents are as stressed out, exhausted, and overworked as these people.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
I wonder what the life expectancy for a doctor is?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
I actually feel sorry for them only because they will have a hard time actually getting the money they deserve from insurance companies when they start working after they finish school.

I don't feel sorry for them due to the fact that 5 years from now, he'll be pulling in major bucks. They'll survive.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Chris and Meg Reis are on their way to long medical careers. Now it's time to deal with $500,000 in student loans.

Money Magazine) -- It's Wednesday evening and Megan Reis can't remember when she last saw her husband Chris. Small wonder. Since Sunday morning, Meg has worked more than 60 hours at Advocate Hope Children's Hospital, the Chicago-area facility where she is training in pediatrics.

Young doctors in debt - Nov. 16, 2007
I read this and personally I don't feel bad for them financially. Why? Because 5 years from now the couple will be earning huge income via just Chris (larger than what is stated in the article). Once Megan goes back to work their huge income will grow to astronomical family income. OK, my choice of adjectives is obviously expressing some subjectivity.. but seriously they'll easily pay off all their debt I'd say in 8 or 9 years... perhaps 10. Of course the banks will have made a fortune off of them, but really, we're talking about a couple likely to earn in the ballpark of 500k-800k a year in the not too distant future (a lot more actually depending upon how hard & smart Chris decides to work in his very lucrative specialty - you can earn over 1 million per year in that line of work). For all intents and purposes the couple will be able to live off of 120k-150k per year quite comfortably and be able to pay off the loans with the rest.

I think for the layperson the numbers scare the heck out of them because they are so large. But the reality is that it is much like opening up a 50-70 million dollar Super Wal-Mart or other super-grocery store. Yea you might choke on your dinner when you realize that it typically takes 2-5 years to just break even... but after that the company does exceptionally well profit-wise and they can clear upwards of 1 million per week established in a decent market. 5 years - it'll go by in a blink of an eye for this couple. By the time their child is in high school they'll be multi-millionaires with at least one or two vacation homes in exotic locations if they are just a little financially savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics