Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times

Advertisements

Without having to travel 1200 miles to go and get it.

I had three accounts at M+T in Rochester. I moved South. After I was here, I closed the checking account and opened one down here. My savings account and small business accounts are still up there and they won't let me close the accounts out unless actually I go there and who knows whether they will then either.

This makes no sense to me. People have accounts all over the US and around the world. I doubt that those people actually have to travel to Kenosha or Philadelphia or Seville or Sydney to access their accounts. How do they do it?

Of course M+T won't let the money out if they can help it. But there certainly must be a routine way of operating from a distance. There are certainly others who do it.

Can anyone share their methods?

Thanks

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Wire transfer.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Or sign up for online banking and transfer it to your new account.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Write a check to yourself.
Wire transfer.
Atm withdrawal

Send letter to bank management along with your ID asking for the account to be closed.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
If OP were to bother to call M+T this is the information he would get. Contact the branch where the accounts are housed (customer service can direct him), send a written request including copy of ID such as drivers license to the branch.
800 724 2400

Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM

416 posts, read 871,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Can anyone share their methods?
Please click here: Let me google that for you

First link that comes up for M&T Top FAQs. See "How do I close an account?":

"Your signature is required to process this type of request. If you are unable to visit an M&T Bank branch, please send your signed request to your branch of accounts."

And yes, snarky-ness definitely intended.........

Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I'd get the signature notarized also. A attorney or bank official( watch out for clerk type that may not be very good at job) can handle it.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
If OP were to bother to call M+T this is the information he would get. Contact the branch where the accounts are housed (customer service can direct him), send a written request including copy of ID such as drivers license to the branch.
800 724 2400

Called corporate twice. They said call the branch twice.
Called the branch twice. They said no twice.
If you have a name of someone in the company who can be more helpful, I'm receptive.

This City-Data forum sure is trollsville, isn't it?

S

PS My bank says that wire transfer can only be launched from the source, i.e. the bank holding the money.

PS Savings accounts don't have checks.

PS ATM? What's that?

PS Opening a web account seems on the surface to be a good idea but my memory of the M+T site is that it's majestically user-hostile, even for a bank. Plus I admit to a preference to not be sucked deeper into M+T at any point during this project.

PS This City-Data forum sure is trollsville, isn't it?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Common sense should play some role in this scenario.
A bank cannot refuse to give you your money.
They can require that you show up in person so they can check ID
and make sure that they are not giving your money to someone else.
If you would write a letter stating exactly what you would like to do
enclose a notorized copy of your identification and send the letter
certified with a return receipt you may actually get the transaction
done as you want it done without traveling.

Perhaps you should have closed the accounts before you moved.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Just sign up for online banking (it can't be that difficult) and transfer the money out of savings into checking. Or call the bank and do a transfer from savings into checking over the phone (they will be able to verify your ID over the phone and transfer the money). Then write a check for the full amount and deposit it into your new bank account. Oh, and you should be able to close an account online as well once it's reached a zero balance.

Former bank manager here, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics