Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Why do you think my small business services the healthcare industry??
No accident.
This is where the money is going to be.
Is your business dependent on government spending either via taxation or other forms of wealth redistribution? If so full disclosure would be helpful. Nothing wrong if it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
low rates are great for debtors and that is just what most americans are . most owe more than their net worth so low rates benefits a whole load of americans more than a few extra cents on their non exsistant long term savings,

if they happen to do have long term savings wrapped up in a bank and not diversified in other investments which by the way did great than they deserve to be penalized for not paying attention and taking little interest in their money..

the same way we all learned to take an interest in our food labels folks have to learn to take an interest in their own finances.
Many I know will not put a penny in anything the is not FDIC insured. Some go to great lengths to extend that coverage using various account titles.

It is just the way it is.

The most extreme is a 100 year old woman, widowed for 24 years.

Every penny she has is FDIC spread over many accounts.

She still lives alone in her home of 60 years and has one daughter living 4 hours away and grandson 7 hours away.

I can't think of anyone that pays more attention to her money... sharp as a tack, knows the dates of all her laddered CDs, interest rates and the bank phone numbers direct to the branch managers.

Not everyone can deal with loss of principal... either mentally or physically.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 AM

914 posts, read 943,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Again ponder the following:

After three years the states are suppose to be picking up Ten percent of the cost and realize they can't afford or don't have the ideology to want to. Also after mid term elections how certain will that funding be if a republicans have the house and at least 60 seats in the Senate. How certain will that funding be if in addition to that Republicans gave the White House? Another tid bit for you, some states gave large numbers of contributing citizens who don't want big government or the Welfare state. Don't kid yourself not everyone low income person wants a handout especially a gov't dependent one. Believe I gave no confusion but what I do gave is observations unclouded by ideology. Accept a good idea has been screwed up and is being rejected by those who have to pay for it. There truly is no such thing as a free lunch.
Then after year three those states could opt out. Nothing in the law prevents them from doing so.

Dream on, the Republicans get 60 seats in the Senate. That would be your wet dream, wouldn't it? More pissing down on poor folk while ever increasingly enriching the already-wealthy.

No, MOST low-income people don't want a hand-out...they'd RATHER a HAND-UP. But since the wealthy who control business in this country REFUSE to spend decent money to hire people at a livable wage...most folk would prefer a hand-out to DEATH.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Is your business dependent on government spending either via taxation or other forms of wealth redistribution? If so full disclosure would be helpful. Nothing wrong if it is.
No. MY business is built on submission of claims from doctors to insurance companies. The other services we provide are not billed - all is considered part of the service, and is worked into what we charge for the billing services. We charge 6 percent of all paid claims. This is a fairly standard rate in my industry - some charge as much as 7 and 8 percent, others a little lower. But we include service that build value.

Our business model is simple: As Boomers age, they will need more medical attention. More medical attention equals more claims equals more income.
Because we DO submit claims thru Medicare as well, one could argue that my business is somewhat dependent on government spending.

However, WE are also directly impacted, negatively, by the Sequester...which includes a two percent reduction in Medicare payments to providers of medical services. When THEY get paid less, so also do we.

And to make matters worse, PRIVATE insurance companies who administer Medicare Advantage Plans (called MAO's) are, in violation of directives from CMS...they also are taking the two percent cut. So the Sequester is serving to screw doctors and increase profits for PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES...which was not intended.

We have, to no avail, fought to make the MAO's stop taking the cuts. We have gone so far now as bringing this problem to the attention of our Congressman.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I don't think baby boomers are the problem although I am the last of the non baby boomers.

I wonder if anyone else realizes the problem that has been created by so many abortions?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't think baby boomers are the problem although I am the last of the non baby boomers.

I wonder if anyone else realizes the problem that has been created by so many abortions?
Abortion has WHAT exactly to do with this topic?

Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 12-27-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
NCN

Maybe I misunderstood the topic. In skimming through I got the idea it was about the economic impact the baby boomers were causing. There would be no problem if all those aborted babies were working and paying taxes and helping to care for the many baby boomers. Now please tell me how that is off-subject? It just requires that one actually use their brain to think.

Last edited by Marka; 12-27-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the topic. In skimming through I got the idea it was about the economic impact the baby boomers were causing. There would be no problem if all those aborted babies were working and paying taxes and helping to care for the many baby boomers. Now please tell me how that is off-subject? It just requires that one actually use their brain to think.
NCN, as the one who created the thread and the link feel comfortable that you are on topic as the failure of many to be productive financially contributing members of society is distorting even further the age inbalance in the country.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Then after year three those states could opt out. Nothing in the law prevents them from doing so.

Dream on, the Republicans get 60 seats in the Senate. That would be your wet dream, wouldn't it? More pissing down on poor folk while ever increasingly enriching the already-wealthy.

No, MOST low-income people don't want a hand-out...they'd RATHER a HAND-UP. But since the wealthy who control business in this country REFUSE to spend decent money to hire people at a livable wage...most folk would prefer a hand-out to DEATH.
No I am not one who takes a leak on anyone. I am a moderate who has lived in very liberal areas of the country and now a more conservative area and guess what. They feel, think and drink different values.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM
NCN

Quote:
NCN, as the one who created the thread and the link feel comfortable that you are on topic as the failure of many to be productive financially contributing members of society is distorting even further the age inbalance in the country.
Half this generation is on food stamps and you are calling baby boomers unproductive. Baby boomers have been productive financially contributing members of society more than the controlling members of society now could ever dream about being. Baby boomers are NOT the problem. They took good care of their parents.

Sorry, I misread your post. I think we agree. I like what I just said, so I am leaving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics