Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

914 posts, read 943,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Interesting article. Greenspan may want to blame boomers for low interest rates, but this little girl isn't buying it. The low interest rates are just what the Fed (and the current wealth-redistribution administration) intended. They're good for borrowers, whether or not they're responsible credit users, and bad for savers and seniors. What better way to reduce and suppress the growth of seniors' savings (wealth).

And BTW, he's smoking the wacky weed if he thinks that boomers are living longer than their parents. Whether we have environmental hazards/contaminants or that contaminated childhood polio vaccine to blame, anyone who taps into the obits on a regular basis and sees dead boomers survived by one or both parents knows that's not happening.
Hummm, my Boomer dad died at 52. But by that time, I already had no living grandparents on either side of the family. My Boomer mom is still kicking at 67.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it doesnt help that a record number of people are on welfare
It doesn't help that so many jobs pay such a poverty wage as to require people to be on welfare. Most welfare recipients DO WORK.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
It doesn't help that so many jobs pay such a poverty wage as to require people to be on welfare. Most welfare recipients DO WORK.
Service jobs never paid great salaries.
That's what's left here.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Service jobs never paid great salaries.
That's what's left here.
True.
But I mean to dispel the common myth that all or most welfare recipients are lazy bums who sit on their butt watching soap operas all day. MOST people who get welfare WORK.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Yes, y'all have created a big problem (and are continuing to do so). Then y'all have the nerve to criticize my generation's social skills and work ethic, which is ironic because y'all were the ones who raised us.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Pinkmani, I doubt that if every Boomer dropped dead right now...that our problems would be magically solved.

They might have started the decline and the problems...but many in our generation have perpetuated the problems and made them worse.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I don't buy it either as the main cause of the problems we see came from borrowing by those who could repay loans. Some even speculated that the worse could happen was refi later or sell at profit and government encourage that. Greenspan never saw a housing bubble even when some suggested one was forming . The crisis even effected those who could repay but loss their jobs sadly. look at actions and you will see they are meant to protect consumer by not allowing the same decision/mistake in future. Basically the think was that housing was the way to greatest gains in wealth sharing and policies reflected just that I easy credit. Historic home ownership is 65% and it got way beyond that into 70's.Downpayment and closing assistance is just part of the push to get people into housing wealth.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, y'all have created a big problem (and are continuing to do so). Then y'all have the nerve to criticize my generation's social skills and work ethic, which is ironic because y'all were the ones who raised us.
FYI, my 32 and 37 are very financially successful and thank my wife and I for it. Just saying painting broad strokes is oh well! Perhaps the word is insightful into your own life. Not sure your parents would appreciate your comments. Not trying to be nasty but sometimes we need to think what we are saying about ourselves when we post. Just some Senior citizen parenting type of suggestion on my part. Feel free to reject it and I suspect you will but understand it was presented in good spirit.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Lots of other problems in the economy.

Despite the rosy picture painted by the Obama administration and the mass media, the picture from my observations looks distinctly gray and gloomy
- businesses using accounting gimmicks to show profits or relying year after year on cost cutting measures to show profits;
- businesses when given the opportunity to invest and actually grow in return for little investments shying away from it
- invoices aging double and in some cases triple the pre-recession time
- horrendous real estate vacancy rates
- don't know one manager (midlevel and top level) over the age of 50 who has acquired a new position since 2007.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if everyone holds onto my pants leg, and that is the theory, that the light follows the boomers, then when elmer lets go everybody dies. i love listening to opra she is so full of beans.
she thinks everybody is guna have a big party when the goose that lays golden eggs is killed. she hasnt thought about breakfast yet has she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics