Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How will you get rid of the welfare cliff effect. Every assistance program has a cutoff, so there will be point where one dollar puts you into negative territory, because you have to pay for child care, etc. You have made a great case for eliminating welfare after a set amount of time. Get those folks earning more sooner.

Why on earth would you factor in work-related costs? Everyone has them (why on earth must you MW pushers continue to pretend that only the poor pay anything?). It's not a difficult issue at all. When you negotiate to take a job, you factor in the wage and any expenses that might result from that job (commute, wardrobe, child care) and either take the job or look elsewhere.

Nobody is saying anything about being against a minimum wage. The argument is whether is should be nationwide (stupid) and $15 an hour (even more stupid).
Simple - have the benefits phase out gradually with income instead of abruptly dropping from full to zero.

And allow work-related expenses (within reason) to be deducted from income used to determine benefits.

The combination of these things would result in incentives to work more/harder, without total abolition of public assistance and the resulting crime and social problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
It doesn't have to be mentioned in this thread specifically, the fact is there are people on the left arguing for $20 Minimum Wage regulations.
And we are ignoring them.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If minimum wage were that high, there would be no such thing as entry level jobs and thus no way for young adults to launch their career.

We'd have to go back to bartering.
I said for satisfying my quality of life (personal level). These incomes are what I wish to earn down the line after all the educational experience I've been through. Minimum livable wage for the general person must remain at around $ 15/hr. Anything lower is just abysmal for a developed nation.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,480 times
Quote:
Adi from the Brunswicks

Minimum livable wage for the general person must remain at around $ 15/hr. Anything lower is just abysmal for a developed nation.
Have you ever operated a small business and hired any employees?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I said for satisfying my quality of life (personal level). These incomes are what I wish to earn down the line after all the educational experience I've been through. Minimum livable wage for the general person must remain at around $ 15/hr. Anything lower is just abysmal for a developed nation.
You're assuming that raising it to $15 per hour would allow those workers to earn more, as opposed to getting laid off because their employer can't afford them.

I'm not convinced that that assumption is reasonable.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
No one really expects a $15.00 minimum wage to happen. It's a canard that gets thrown out by the right wingers again and again to dumb down the whole discussion. Most people find a $10.00/hr minimum wage to be realistic and reasonable. Even Subway's Fred Deluca has come out in favor of raising the minimum wage to around that...I'm pretty sure he knows about running a business and job creation more than most on this forum.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Things like having a smart phone, a GF, kids, nice car(or any car period), living by yourself, and living in a big city are all wants not needs.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Things like having a smart phone, a GF, kids, nice car(or any car period), living by yourself, and living in a big city are all wants not needs.
Yes, this is an important point.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,480 times
Quote:
MaseMan

No one really expects a $15.00 minimum wage to happen. It's a canard that gets thrown out by the right wingers again and again to dumb down the whole discussion.
Oh really? What about these left wing protestors in Chicago just the other day? Minimum wage increase coalition visiting aldermen - redeyechicago.com

$15 an hour is what they want, it's not something made up from the right, you are being out right dishonest.

Quote:
MaseMan

Most people find a $10.00/hr minimum wage to be realistic and reasonable. Even Subway's Fred Deluca has come out in favor of raising the minimum wage to around that...I'm pretty sure he knows about running a business and job creation more than most on this forum.
Then how about he regulate all of his Subway independent business owners to pay their employees that then? Just like how some "rich" people wish the tax rates were higher, but yet, they still have their CPA utilize every loophole in the book to reduce their tax rates as low as possible. It's disingenuous as hell.

You want a raise? Increase your skills, education and productivity. You have no skills, no high school education and 4 kids from 4 different loser men? Well, you made your bed......

Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That there is a lot of CONJECTURE floating around about what the MW is supposed to accomplish ...
Respectfully, I disagree.

The Minimum Wage (MW) very effectively accomplishes precisely what it is supposed to accomplish: campaign contributions to lawmakers who generate discussions about MW policy.

Bring up a discussion of MW policy & law, and money flows into the campaign coffers of lawmakers on both sides of the issue. That is precisely why they bring up the discussion in the first place.

"Hmmm, my re-election campaign war chest is running low," lawmakers & candidates think to themselves, "What can I do to generate more campaign contributions? I know; I'll start talking about the MW so that labor unions and businesses will fill the mail with entreaties to either raise it or leave it alone, together with their campaign contribution."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics