Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM

864 posts, read 872,100 times

Advertisements

History is replete with stories of paupers/entrepreneurs who managed to make it to the top, financially speaking. How come we never hear of gazillionaires who lost their fortune and became paupers. Did that never happen? If so, to whom and why?

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 05-07-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,497,559 times
There are many that inherited estates that bankrupted them.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
Most lottery winners end up poor after squandering their winnings.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM

864 posts, read 872,100 times
My question is about regular business practice, not squandering a fortune one has not built. Has anybody as rich as Zuckerberg or Bezos ever lost their fortune and had to resort to finding an ordinary job to put food on the table and cover the rent?

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that when rich people go bankrupt, they still remain wealthy.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,236 times
It's extremely rare. Once you reach a certain "wealth critical mass" you could probably just put it in a CD and live off the interest. Zuckerberg losing his fortune would require several substantial missteps, and usually those who can create something that substantial have people to help them avoid repeated massive mistakes.

More commonly, you get the Paris Hilton's of the world, who inherit the money and blow it all living a party life.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
interesting question. I know there are quite a few that had millions and lost it..but it seems hard to imagine with billions.

Oftentimes it is their company (and investors) that suffer but they get over it. Like with Donald Trump he has had issues, but never had to resort to a regular job.

I'm sure in the sports world in this happens quite a bit...but again none of them have Zuckerberg or Bezos money.

There is a documentary on this called Broke
"According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 60 percent of former NBA players are broke within five years of retirement. By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress. Sucked into bad investments, stalked by freeloaders, saddled with medical problems, and naturally prone to showing off, many pro athletes get shocked by harsh economic realities after years of living the high life."

Broke - ESPN Films: 30 for 30

Regarding Paris Hilton, i bet she's brought in more money than she's spent. She gets paid for those shows, appearances and any products with her face.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
interesting question. I know there are quite a few that had millions and lost it..but it seems hard to imagine with billions.

Oftentimes it is their company (and investors) that suffer but they get over it. Like with Donald Trump he has had issues, but never had to resort to a regular job.

I'm sure in the sports world in this happens quite a bit...but again none of them have Zuckerberg or Bezos money.

There is a documentary on this called Broke
"According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 60 percent of former NBA players are broke within five years of retirement. By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress. Sucked into bad investments, stalked by freeloaders, saddled with medical problems, and naturally prone to showing off, many pro athletes get shocked by harsh economic realities after years of living the high life."

Broke - ESPN Films: 30 for 30

Regarding Paris Hilton, i bet she's brought in more money than she's spent. She gets paid for those shows, appearances and any products with her face.
Famous musicians, sports stars and lotto winners are the main ones to r odd from rags to riches and fall back to rags because of sudden success and high indulgence. Other than that it normally don't happen batting MAJOR disasters.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
History is replete with stories of paupers/entrepreneurs who managed to make it to the top, financially speaking. How come we never hear of gazillionaires who lost their fortune and became paupers. Did that never happen? If so, to whom and why?
I suspect that many in Wall Street rise, then crash and burn their way back down to the bottom. But even then they probably pick themselves up a go and promote and gain elsewhere. Once they get out of jail. Like Boesky, Milken and of course Madoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics