Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,220,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
By the way, this is an example of what I'm talking about. Notice how the decision to have kids or not was "because I like to travel"? Hey, it's fine to not have kids for any reason at all (or to have them for any reason at all), but it's fascinating how people will say things like that. "My decision to have kids was based on my desire to travel." Oh ....kay.
Well, it is an important part of my decision. You can travel as a family. But there are big differences in terms of where nod when you travel, activities you do, and freedom while traveling.

When I travel, I would like to experience history and culture, eat well, and see amazing scenery. They may not work for those with small children. I don't want noise,whining, special things I have to bring. I'd like to keep it lean and simple.

I also like to meet people when I travel, and even have a romantic encounter. That requires flexibility. Getting laid in a total new place is very nice.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Well, it is an important part of my decision. You can travel as a family. But there are big differences in terms of where nod when you travel, activities you do, and freedom while traveling.

When I travel, I would like to experience history and culture, eat well, and see amazing scenery. They may not work for those with small children. I don't want noise,whining, special things I have to bring. I'd like to keep it lean and simple.

I also like to meet people when I travel, and even have a romantic encounter. That requires flexibility. Getting laid in a total new place is very nice.
That's fine. My point was only to say that having kids is, as everyone knows, a sacrifice. It doesn't mean that you're "good" for having kids, but it is a sacrifice. And, as I said earlier, people who decide to not have kids are usually being self-centered. In other words, they are saying "I don't want kids to impact my lifestyle." It's not "bad" -- in fact, it's good that they recognize it -- but it's self-centered. You're putting yourself first. That was my only point.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,647 times
Welcome to the United States of America where you are punished for being responsible.

Quote:
That's fine. My point was only to say that having kids is, as everyone knows, a sacrifice. It doesn't mean that you're "good" for having kids, but it is a sacrifice. And, as I said earlier, people who decide to not have kids are usually being self-centered. In other words, they are saying "I don't want kids to impact my lifestyle." It's not "bad" -- in fact, it's good that they recognize it -- but it's self-centered. You're putting yourself first. That was my only point.
I do wonder if someone's reason for not breeding is any of your business. If it is then I do apologize. It's not always self-centered. If you are a mind reader then I do apologize again.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
Quote:
Did you ever stop to think that some folks feel they wouldn't make good parents, or they don't have the finances to afford them? With that in mind, I would say they are being fairly forward thinking and wise. Some people have children because they are self centered. That is to say, they view children as property that they can own. It's like going to the pet shop and purchasing a puppy. They are so cute they just have to have one! Or two! Or why stop there?!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Welcome to the United States of America where you are punished for being responsible.
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about a punishment.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Did you ever stop to think that some folks feel they wouldn't make good parents, or they don't have the finances to afford them?
Sure, in theory that may be true. It's just that I'm pretty sure nobody has ever actually said "I won't have kids because I might not be a good parent." That would actually be pretty impressive. It's usually more along the lines of what other people have said, which is "I won't have kids because they get in the way" or "I won't have kids because they're noisy." Let's just be real here.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about a punishment.
You don't get it that's why. That's not where I referring to.

Quote:
Have you interviewed every single person who decided to not breed? I apologize once again if you have.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
You don't get it that's why. That's not where I referring to.
OK, well, care to explain it then?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
OK, well, care to explain it then?
Only if you truly have the mental capacity to comprehend the explanation.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Only if you truly have the mental capacity to comprehend the explanation.
Or yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics