Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 PM

37 posts, read 169,828 times

Advertisements

It doesn't say Bank of Wells Fargo! so is it a bank or just a company?
how big is it?

Which one is good for a student? ( I work too)

I heard that Wells fargo doesn't charge u if u have money in your saving account!

So what do u think?

I have been told that local banks are good too but I do traveling some times. So what do u think?

Thanx,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The "name" of Wells Fargo is sortuva legendary as part of the "Old West" but it has ALWAYS been primarily a consumer / business oriented bank that was founded in 1852 by two guys (named Henry Wells & William Fargo). https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/history/faqs

The history of Bank of America also starts in San Francisco in about 1904, but recent mergers have moved their "center of gravity" much more toward the Southeast and Wall Street.

Most analysis of the two banks would say that neither is particularly consumer friendly, though Wells is definitely healthier and able to operate with out as much fear of being too nice.

Many people suggest that for routine banking consumer banking needs a Credit Union or smaller bank may make more sense, of course the relative location of things like ATMs and ease of online banking, together with costs / incentives for having checking /savings accounts are really the important bottom line for most consumer needs.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Wells Fargo and Bank of America are two different corporations. You'll notice that I said corporation instead of bank. Because they are corporations - as is Citibank - they will rip you off in every possible way they can.

Never mistakenly think that a bank is your friend.

That said... The right bank for you will depend partly on your needs. The bank I'm with provides free checking, a free debit card, free ATM transactions, and actually pays interest on my balance. But part of that "package" is the requirement that I have at least a $2,000 balance there (I have the $2,000 in CDs).

My advice would be to check around with several banks. See what they have to offer. Also, check with several Credit Unions.

Good luck!

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 12-04-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
As mentioned above they are both the same and different all at the same time as all of the Big 4 are...bloodthirsty, thieving, stingy, unethical and morally reprehensible as well as liable to make you a lot of money if you can chose wisely.

Other than that, they're different in that Wells Fargo is a diversified company. Wells Fargo BANK is where you can enroll in checking accounts and the like. Bank of America as well is extremely diversified, however their banking division which is under the same name is also where you would make deposits into your personal cash accounts.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 AM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
If you must choose between Bank of America and Wells Fargo, go with Wells Fargo.

Bank of America is one of the worst banks that you could possibly bank with. B of A has fees for things that you could never imagine having fees for.

B of A is basically on a mission to buy every bank possible so that they control the banking industry. In the past decade they have bought up so many smaller banks, Fleet Bank (Boston), LaSalle (Chicago), Merrill Lynch Investment Bank (New York), and they even bought up the Mortgage company, Countrywide Home Loans (California). This is just to name the bigger ones they recently have bought.

Though no big bank is perfect, Wells Fargo is your better bigger bank.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
I have dealt with both banks and Wells Fargo is the better of the two. Wells doesn't charge for printing new checks, BofA does. At Wells, I pay no fees as long as my balance is above a certain point. I once opened an account at BofA and they didn't spell my name right on the new checks or the ATM card. Seeing the light, I closed out the account and went elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The "name" of Wells Fargo is sortuva legendary as part of the "Old West" but it has ALWAYS been primarily a consumer / business oriented bank that was founded in 1852 by two guys (named Henry Wells & William Fargo). https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/history/faqs

The history of Bank of America also starts in San Francisco in about 1904, but recent mergers have moved their "center of gravity" much more toward the Southeast and Wall Street
This is a bit incorrect.
  • Today's Bank of America = North Carolina National Bank (NCNB)
  • NCNB purchases largest S&L in Texas and becomes Nations Bank
  • Nations Bank "acquires" BankAmerica in SF. They decide to use an old trademark and rename NationsBank, Bank of America.
  • It's still HQ'd in the old NCNB location in Charlotte, NC
  • Effectively it is NCNB, not the historic BofA which no longer exists.

• Today's Wells Fargo = Norwest Bank in Minneapolis
  • Norwest acquires SF based Wells Fargo, that bank ceases to exist.
  • Minneapolis bank decides to change name to Wells Fargo
  • The move a co-HQ into old Wells HQ.
  • Major operations remain in Minneapolis.
  • Effectively it is Norwest, not the historic Wells Fargo
I recommend to the OP to avoid them both. Go with a community bank or a credit union.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
They are two different banks that provide the same sorts of services. I think both have free student checking accounts. Personally I prefer Bank of America because at least in California there are more branches and far more ATMs.

I would not bother with a credit union or small bank, they typical have insecure websites and otherwise insecure infrastructure.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
I agree with everyone above that Wells Fargo is a better bank than B of A. B of A is a total scam outfit. I had multiple problems with them. Since switching to Wells Fargo about 5 years ago, I have not had any problems.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I agree with everyone above that Wells Fargo is a better bank than B of A. B of A is a total scam outfit. I had multiple problems with them. Since switching to Wells Fargo about 5 years ago, I have not had any problems.
Yeah, which would explain how they are the largest bank.

All the large banks have the same sorts of policies, you should pick which ever is most convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics