Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times

Advertisements

The first type of people are those who figure out the game of their society and make strategic choices to navigate the troubled waters of their society to advance their interests. This type of people do not actively seek change. Instead they spend energy on how to successfully adapt and create affluence for themselves and benefit their family. They recognize that people come in all sizes, some nice and some not. Trying to change others to fit in some theoretical dream is not only an uphill battle, it is probably impossible.

The second type of people are those who may or may not figure out the game of the society. Unlike the first type, they spend their energy on changing society and changing other people. They work from their desired dream and demand that the society changes itself to fit that dream. This second type of people do not believe in the inevitability of human nature. They have a sense of hope to change society for the common good that they believe in. This, of course, often turns out to be an uphill battle.

Much of your political leanings and your brand of economics come from these differences.

What type of person are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
If everyone was a type one we'd still be stuck in the dark ages. We need both types of personalities. People who are very black and white, and think, for example, that we'd be better off splitting the US in two so the republicans could have their own country and democrats their own, are very misguided. Diversity is what makes america great, and giving any one group of people too much political power is doomed to be a mistake.

I'm somewhere in the middle, and see the benefits of both ways of thinking. Gridlock is good. It makes this country great. Radicals on each side don't have free reign to implement their stupidity on a mass level.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM

420 posts, read 768,392 times
I was about to be like, "two types, how could it be so cut and dry?!"

However, I think this is fairly accurate. I am the former type, my Dad is definitely the latter.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Mixture of the two. I'm more of a pragmatist than an idealist. It's far easier to change your own behavior than attempt to change the behavior of others. That doesn't always mean its the right thing to do. Being self-employed, I've done both. I don't see myself making any earth shattering difference in the world in my lifetime, but I have my impacts on my own business dealings. Part of working with clients is educating them on what you offer and how that is of value to them even if isn't the way they are currently doing business. I'm actually pretty good at that.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If everyone was a type one we'd still be stuck in the dark ages. We need both types of personalities. People who are very black and white, and think, for example, that we'd be better off splitting the US in two so the republicans could have their own country and democrats their own, are very misguided. Diversity is what makes america great, and giving any one group of people too much political power is doomed to be a mistake.

I'm somewhere in the middle, and see the benefits of both ways of thinking. Gridlock is good. It makes this country great. Radicals on each side don't have free reign to implement their stupidity on a mass level.
I agree with you. I think we have two extremes today in America and they are loud on the media.

On a personal level though, being the first type is probably easier and more rewarding. Shh!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Mixture of the two. I'm more of a pragmatist than an idealist. It's far easier to change your own behavior than attempt to change the behavior of others. That doesn't always mean its the right thing to do. Being self-employed, I've done both. I don't see myself making any earth shattering difference in the world in my lifetime, but I have my impacts on my own business dealings. Part of working with clients is educating them on what you offer and how that is of value to them even if isn't the way they are currently doing business. I'm actually pretty good at that.
I'm also a pragmatist. I think everything involves changing other people to a certain extent. For instance, you want to work on their impression of you, persuade them to buy your products, etc. But such changes are relatively doable and easy. They are not fundamental changes. They cater to human desires and yes selfishness. The harder changes are the ones that ask people to not be selfish. That usually falls apart.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
I was about to be like, "two types, how could it be so cut and dry?!"

However, I think this is fairly accurate. I am the former type, my Dad is definitely the latter.
It's not cut and dry. It's just two major types. Real people are complex of course.

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing the second type of people tirelessly arguing for an utopian world. They seem to think that first types don't understand that utopian world, when first types are just less idealistic and less optimistic about people.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM

663 posts, read 778,125 times
Isn't this easy to spot out?

The people who are complaining about politics = type 2
blahblah conservatives are doing this!! blahblah liberals are doing this!!!

The people who rarely complain about politics = type 1

Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Isn't this easy to spot out?

The people who are complaining about politics = type 2
blahblah conservatives are doing this!! blahblah liberals are doing this!!!

The people who rarely complain about politics = type 1
I don't think that's exactly the difference. Both types need to advocate for their interests, so they both have moments of complaining. It's what they complain about and for what purpose that's different. Type 1 focus on their finance, comfort, and power. They take care of themselves and they don't like to sacrifice for others. Successful people tend to come from type 1. Now many of these successful type 1s then behave like type 2s because they have gotten what they want. Now they do charity, but they are still type 1.

Type 2s could be ideologically, religiously, and culturally obsessed. They may go against their financial interests because of their religion, political ideology, personal experience, or just personality. They tend to search for absolute truths, want neat consistencies, and can't stand breaking principles that they hold dear. Their thinking is much more linear and theoretical. Hence they are often complaining, depressed, and unhappy because the world doesn't comply with neat consistencies. Other people are often doing wrong things and type 2s have a sense of helplessness.

Last edited by Costaexpress; 06-17-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM

420 posts, read 768,392 times
You seem to attribute all positives on the former type and all negative language for the latter. Actually the latter type people are more likely to suffer because they are "fighting the injustices of the world." They are more likely to be knowledgeable about politics, philosophy and the human condition. Of course there are all types in both categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics