Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
MOST AMERICAN RETIREES DO NOT LIVE IN POVERTY AT ALL . IN FACT ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE DO.

only 15% do. EARLIER STUDIES HAD SHOWN ONLY 9% .

while 15% from census data is higher then the 9% it is hardley MOST.

the highest place is washington dc with 26% and the lowest is iowa with only 8%

15 Percent of Seniors Live in Poverty, Analysis Finds
My statement was forward looking, not present. Many retirees today are part of a more financially conservative generation.

So far as the so called studies go, they are for the most part worthless. Poverty guidelines for 2014 for a family of 2 is $15,700.00. I do not know about you, but if I were trying to get by on less than 30K I would consider myself pretty hard up.

In fact the figure of 1mm in 35 years seems ridiculous given the inflation rate. A million is barely in the comfort zone today. It is still a long way from being financially secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
we did a lot of real estate investing to grow money but i would never entertain being a landlord in retirement.

last thing i want to do is deal with tenants. we have been selling off all holdings the last 12 years and are down to just 2-co-ops left.

real estate investing is all good until its not. then it can be your worst nightmare dealing with tenants , lawyers and courts.

retirement is no time to have income disruptions from tenants who eventually have one of 3 things happen. illness-divorce-job loss as eventually these strike even the best of tenants.

not so bad when you have a pay check coming in but it could be a disaster when you don't.

just my opinion.

i would far sooner have equities ,bonds and annuities providing my income where i am fully in control of the downside of things i want to risk. one click and i am out if i need to be.

that vs months tied up in court in some areas trying to get a tenant out.
If you have desirable properties and do thorough tenant screening it's very little work.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
See I learned something today. But you get the point. Unless you create that extra cash to save it will never be there.
So true. And unless you do some hustling on your own you'll never develop an ability to size up opportunities and make things happen on yer own.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Here's what I see first hand. At a minimum know what your social security amount is. If you have a pension great. If not be serious about your 401k or whatever. Put that money month after month or week after week if that's the way you do it.

Here's the kicker. Be debt free.No mortgage, no credit cards, no car payment, I mean nothing.
You have to know what your guaranteed income will be going forward. If married consider your life and long term care insurance.

Retirement is no joke especially if it's not by choice such as for heath reasons. Yup date your Will or Trust, and POA' s. It may not t a me a million depending on your lifestyle but you need to know what your guarantees income will be.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's what I see first hand. At a minimum know what your social security amount is. If you have a pension great. If not be serious about your 401k or whatever. Put that money month after month or week after week if that's the way you do it.

Here's the kicker. Be debt free.No mortgage, no credit cards, no car payment, I mean nothing.
You have to know what your guaranteed income will be going forward. If married consider your life and long term care insurance.

Retirement is no joke especially if it's not by choice such as for heath reasons. Yup date your Will or Trust, and POA' s. It may not t a me a million depending on your lifestyle but you need to know what your guarantees income will be.
Or you could just maintain a high salary...

Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If you have desirable properties and do thorough tenant screening it's very little work.
i disagree. eventualy even the best of tenants run in to divorce -illness and job loss.

one bad tenant can cost you thousands of dollars .

our last tenant cost us over 8k in lost rent and damages.

it happens to just about every landlord. it goes with the territory.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The Powers That Be.

IOW, the market is rigged and you should buy gold.
ha ha ha ha.., i am up 2,000% since 1987. if that is rigged , i say rig it some more.

yeah , gold , that is a winning investment .. not!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
And you can do the same for stocks - buy for dividend growth rather than price speculation.
no such thing. that is a myth. we beat this to death already.

dividends without capital appreciation will have a loss with each payout unless the dividend payout is retraced by the same amount in appreciation. selling off a non dividend payer on your own to create that dividend is identical in nature assuming the same total return.

a stock is reduced by the payout and needs to retrace in appreciation what was payed out . when you get a rent payment it is not subtracted off the value of the property so they are not equivelant.

the rent is more akin to an interest payment where it is added on to the principal with no downweard adjustment.

a dividend is just siphoning off part of the share price appreciation with a matching drop in share price value.

in order to get back to where it was it first has to appreciate over the quarter by the amount that was payed out.

as you can see the appreciation always has to match at least the payout or you are at a loss. realistically it only comes down to the fact that dividend investing only differs in the ease of getting that check since you do not have to sell off a piece on your own , in effect they are selling off a piece of your share price for you..

no matter how you slice it you are investing for total return no matter how you break it apart.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-25-2014 at 03:01 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
8% hasn't been hard to come by in this high risk low reward environment, although I'm not really sure what you mean by this or tptb
considering the s&p 500 has seen just a touch more than 1% real return on any money invested pre 2000 yes returns have been hard to come by.

new money did fine but any older money has basically stalled out. any money i had invested in equities did very little since 2000 ,especially once inflation adjusted.

any money invested pre 2000 has seen around the following

since the 2000 peak and as of the close of july ,including dividends reinvested.

1k in money invested in the s&p 500 or total market fund is 1698.00 today . in todays dollars that is a 1.39% real return the last 14 years .

the point is new money did okay but older money fell way behind goal. back in 2000 where i expected to be 14 years later based on predictions fell way short.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-25-2014 at 02:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
considering the s&p 500 has seen just a touch more than 1% real return on any money invested pre 2000 yes returns have been hard to come by.

new money did fine but any older money has basically stalled out. any money i had invested in equities did very little since 2000 ,especially once inflation adjusted.

any money invested pre 2000 has seen around the following

since the 2000 peak and as of the close of july ,including dividends reinvested.

1k in money invested in the s&p 500 or total market fund is 1698.00 today . in todays dollars that is a 1.39% real return the last 14 years .

the point is new money did okay but older money fell way behind goal. back in 2000 where i expected to be 14 years later based on predictions fell way short.
That's an issue with price one pays, which is another side of seeking returns. If somethings overvalued, its overvalued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics