Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,481 times

Advertisements

I apologize for any spelling mistakes, I wrote this on my iphone.

I'm 19 years old and throughout high school I had a pretty good avg (92% throughout all 4 years) After my 3rd year in high school I knew I wanted to become a radiologist but med school is too much not including pre-med. So I settled for Radiologic Tech (the person who takes X-rays, ct scans etc...) I got accepted into a great 4 year university here in NY.
So I applied for financial aid because I was just 17 at the time & that's what my advisors told me to do. I applied and apparently my parents make too much money but we are middle class.My parents make $3,500 monthly together, that's what I'll be making monthly JUST on my own with my career as a STARTING SALARY. Let that sink in for a second ..

Now I was stuck, I was 17 about to graduate high school and my parents couldn't pay for my tuition because it was $10k per semester! So what did I do that most lazy piece of **** Americans don't do?
I settled for a community college ($2,500 a semester full time) and I got a job that has me working 30 hours a week making $9 an hour with no overtime pay since I'm part time ALL just so I can have enough money to pay for my tuition, books, food and little things I buy myself with what I have left . I literally make (after taxes) $3,120 every 4 months. the reason I said 4 months is because that's when I have to pay for my next semester. I only have $620 to spend within a 4 month time frame. Now that you've seen my POV here is the POV of those who are "poor" and get aid.

The students you see who get financial aid need to maintain a 2.5gpa to basically attend college for free via financial aid. A 2.5gpa is a joke. Now let's get technical.. These students receive Financial aid thus attend college for free & DONT have to pay the govt back. LOANS are. But when they're not in school they are also working- but here's the difference! I work my ass off every day to make money that I NEED to attend college vs these "poor" students who work to buy themselves nice clothing or car payments etc. see the difference ?
The middle class gets ****ed over and literally has to choose between having nice things or even food while the "poor class" gets to go to school FOR FREE while profiting when working.

Now how does cutting govt aid help you may ask?
It's simple, by cutting govt aid colleges HAVE to drop tuition to compensate for the students who couldn't attended without the govt aid. If they DONT drop tuition then a MASSIVE amount of professors will be layed off and each class will be full to max capacity. I

Please don't tell me " this is all a lie" my step sister who is 38 has 2 kids ( 12 & 6) and when she was my age she couldn't attend college because our parents made too much (according to our **** govt). So now she attending college for free with the help of govt since she is divorced with 2 kids and has bills to pay and mouths to feed. This is probably the ONLY time govt aid is acceptable. Other than that .. get the fck up off your ass and work for what you want. Sheesh, I went from DREAMING of becoming a MD to now becoming a X-ray tech all because of financial issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:03 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon9 View Post

I'm 19 years old and throughout high school I had a pretty good avg (92% throughout all 4 years) After my 3rd year in high school I knew I wanted to become a radiologist but med school is too much not including pre-med. So I settled for Radiologic Tech (the person who takes X-rays, ct scans etc...) I got accepted into a great 4 year university here in NY.
So I applied for financial aid because I was just 17 at the time & that's what my advisors told me to do. I applied and apparently my parents make too much money but we are middle class.My parents make $3,500 monthly together, that's what I'll be making monthly JUST on my own with my career as a STARTING SALARY. Let that sink in for a second ..

Now I was stuck, I was 17 about to graduate high school and my parents couldn't pay for my tuition because it was $10k per semester! So what did I do that most lazy piece of **** Americans don't do?
I settled for a community college ($2,500 a semester full time) and I got a job that has me working 30 hours a week making $9 an hour with no overtime pay since I'm part time ALL just so I can have enough money to pay for my tuition, books, food and little things I buy myself with what I have left . I literally make (after taxes) $3,120 every 4 months. the reason I said 4 months is because that's when I have to pay for my next semester. I only have $620 to spend within a 4 month time frame. Now that you've seen my POV here is the POV of those who are "poor" and get aid.

The students you see who get financial aid need to maintain a 2.5gpa to basically attend college for free via financial aid. A 2.5gpa is a joke. Now let's get technical.. These students receive Financial aid thus attend college for free & DONT have to pay the govt back. LOANS are. But when they're not in school they are also working- but here's the difference! I work my ass off every day to make money that I NEED to attend college vs these "poor" students who work to buy themselves nice clothing or car payments etc. see the difference ?
The middle class gets ****ed over and literally has to choose between having nice things or even food while the "poor class" gets to go to school FOR FREE while profiting when working.

It's simple, by cutting govt aid colleges HAVE to drop tuition to compensate for the students who couldn't attended without the govt aid. If they DONT drop tuition then a MASSIVE amount of professors will be layed off and each class will be full to max capacity. I

Please don't tell me " this is all a lie" my step sister who is 38 has 2 kids ( 12 & 6) and when she was my age she couldn't attend college because our parents made too much (according to our **** govt). So now she attending college for free with the help of govt since she is divorced with 2 kids and has bills to pay and mouths to feed. This is probably the ONLY time govt aid is acceptable. Other than that .. get the fck up off your ass and work for what you want. Sheesh, I went from DREAMING of becoming a MD to now becoming a X-ray tech all because of financial issues.
Not plausible. High prices are largely a result of decreased state funding, not a result of financial aid.

If people can't afford something, what will happen is not that its price will go down much, but that fewer people will have access to it. That's the way it was a century ago when college was simply beyond reach of most and was a significant status symbol. This didn't make the price go down until more could afford it; rather, it kept the scale down - fewer students, fewer instructors.

The price of education cannot drop below the cost to the school of educating someone, no matter how poor prospective students get.

Do we really want to return to that?

Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not plausible. High prices are largely a result of decreased state funding, not a result of financial aid.

If people can't afford something, what will happen is not that its price will go down much, but that fewer people will have access to it. That's the way it was a century ago when college was simply beyond reach of most and was a significant status symbol. This didn't make the price go down until more could afford it; rather, it kept the scale down - fewer students, fewer instructors.

Do we really want to return to that?
by TERMINATING Finanical aid, state colleges have to drop their tuition to compensate the loss of students. this isn't 1780, it's 2014 where the word revolves around money & without education we have nothing. Who will create new technology, treat our wounds etc ..without a college degree?

also.. by dropping tuition the people who don't get aid & can't spend money for school due to something on their life can now join! Tuition was only $1700 in 2010 here in NY for community colleges ( my other sister payed that when she majored in Dental Hygiene, she also payed herself )

Old 09-12-2014, 04:16 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
While you're at it cut title 9 sports that the rich use to get free college educations. My brother sent 6 kids to Washington state with the taxpayer footing the bill.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
by TERMINATING Finanical aid, state colleges have to drop their tuition to compensate the loss of students.
Take an economics class. State funding has declined for 30 years. Using your logic the tuition should have gone down instead of having a corresponding increase. A school can only drop tuition if the costs drop, but many of the costs are pretty fixed. Adding a new adjunct isn't all that expensive.

Quote:
this isn't 1780, it's 2014 where the word revolves around money & without education we have nothing. Who will create new technology, treat our wounds etc ..without a college degree?
Exactly. An education is necessary, but you want to make it more difficult for people to have access to the education. For profit tech schools charged you more than a university in tuition, but you have just recently been allowed to use federal loans for those for profit schools.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:

There is no universal standard of middle class, but it sounds like your parents are barely in the middle class. According to the FAFSA estimator you should be eligible for grants and work study and should only have to come up with $3K/yr. Further, your parents would not even have a tax liability to pay, so think about the people you are criticizing for a moment. It just might be you.

Quote:
Most people do that actually. The working part anyway.

Quote:
Nobody is going to college for "free" without a scholarship. The grants just aren't that generous.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
by TERMINATING Finanical aid, state colleges have to drop their tuition to compensate the loss of students. this isn't 1780, it's 2014 where the word revolves around money & without education we have nothing. Who will create new technology, treat our wounds etc ..without a college degree?
Society needs something, therefore its price will drop if people couldn't otherwise afford it, even absent public aid?

It doesn't work that way. If it did, there would never be cost crises in anything essential (food, shelter, etc.).

Quote:
also.. by dropping tuition the people who don't get aid & can't spend money for school due to something on their life can now join! Tuition was only $1700 in 2010 here in NY for community colleges ( my other sister payed that when she majored in Dental Hygiene, she also payed herself )
In the vast majority of states you cannot get a 4-year degree without paying at least $20,000 in tuition alone, not counting fees, books, interest, or living expenses.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 PM

161 posts, read 219,270 times
Quote:

First of all, I don't really believe you. Second of all, I suppose you should have done better in high school and gotten some scholarships (they still exist, you know, especially for those top students--the ones that tend to become things like, say, radiologists.) Third, and most importantly, if your spiel is all true, it is incredibly--painfully--short-sighted. If you really think you have what it takes to succeed in the difficult and highly competitive world of med school--radiology specifically--then quit whining, take out some damn LOANS and just do it.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
The year was 1987. February 18, 1987 to be precise. That's over 27 years ago. William Bennett, then US Secretary of Education, wrote an op-ed in the New York Times titled "Our Greedy Colleges."

It is still worth reading: Our Greedy Colleges - NYTimes.com

Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 AM

69 posts, read 67,802 times
Quote:

"Poor" Student speaking, my family EFC is $0 and while I don't pay anything out of pocket I take out about 7$k a quarter to attend a public university (about 30,000 a year) so I'll graduate with nearly 28k in debt. No One will attend college for free unless it''s community college only about 75% of college costs will be covered by grants and scholarships provided by the state, granted universities may choose to allocate additional scholarships on a case by case basis. I work 20 hrs a week while taking 18 credits and maintained a 3.73 gpa as a pre bio major, I have since decided to switch to econ and accounting because I will not be able to afford med school, similar to yourself. I can assure you I do not live a life of luxury, my earnings go toward my rent, and food, and interest payments on my unsubsidized loans, so stop crying because your parents didn't set aside any funds for you to attend college. Growing up having experienced a nice middle class upbringing you aren't really in any position to complain about not being able to afford extra luxury items that weren't crucial to your college success. There were months growing up where we only had 30 dollars for 2 weeks worth of groceries to be split between the 5 of us, or the free meal we got at school was the only one I got to eat that day, THAT is struggle. with 3500 a month, I think your parents could have at least set aside 50 bucks for you every pay day they would have saved 23,400 by the time you turned 18, Even if they could only save 25 that's over 11 grand. My parents made less than you but managed to save something for us because they wanted us to have a better life. The middle class is not screwed over, they have the ability to set aside savings for their children, something many poor families that live pay check to pay check aren't able to adequately do!

And do you mean 3500 biweekly? because if its really 3500 a month you would have qualified for financial aid... I have friends who make a good amount more than that receiving Pel grant and work study.

And as other's have stated cutting financial aid is not going to prompt universities to lower tuition since many of their costs are fixed.

Last edited by LittleFishBigPond; 09-13-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics