Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,491,287 times

Advertisements

My parents were paying $1200/month before Obamacare, and that was for a plan that was medical only, no dental, no vision, and had a $5000 deductible. And it was for just the 2 of them. I know their premiums went down substantially after Obamacare, even though they don't qualify for subsidies at their income level. I don't know exactly how much, but it was a lot less. So even without subsidies, some people benefitted.

For every person you could find who is unhappy about the program, there is at least one who is thrilled.

In my opinion, the only people in danger of being "financially destroyed" are those who didn't have any insurance at all before, but make too much money to qualify for subsidies. But they were probably very close to financial ruin before, and if they HAD needed medical care, it would have ruined them anyway. Someone who didn't have insurance before and does now and uses it, will likely come out ahead. Most people will come out 10% +/- of where they were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you are retired, you should be on Medicare.
Medicare is for 66+ or 62+ for former Department of Defense like my mother.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times
Last year we had a standard BCBS 80/20 plan. Our deductible was $500, max out of pocket of $4,500, and we paid $20 office copays. Prescriptions were $10. Premium for 4 people were $190 every two weeks. We paid $4,940 per year in premiums.

This year, were forced to choose between three options pretty much exactly like the Obamacare options. We now have a $4,500 deductible with a $12,500 max out of pocket with no copays. The premium is only $56 every two weeks. So at the end of the year it will cost us $1,456 per year in premiums.

So in theory we saved almost $3,500 a year in premiums right?

The problem lies with actually using the insurance. Before, a set of x-rays or something similar would take care of meeting the deductible. I had to have an emergency sinus surgery earlier this year and we have paid to date over $6,500 out of pocket because of it.

This new plan has cost me an extra $3,000 this year, and it started July 1.

So maybe for those in a dream world who never have to use the plan like it, but for those of us "normal" folk (especially with kids), this is pretty painful to the pocket.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I believe it is simply to early to assess the full impact of Obamacare. While I am not necessarily optimistic, I do hope that the AHCA is a stepping stone to addressing the nations health care challenges. It would be nice if all concerned parties made an effort.

Good answer.

Is the AHCA perfect? No. But it sure beats the alternative of having a large portion of the population running around with no insurance, and yet expecting that their medical conditions will be addressed with the same certainty as those who pay for that protection. That model is simply unworkable--not to mention grossly inequitable.

My local Congressman is constantly betching about the AHCA, and yet, he and his party never made a proposal which broadly addressed the needs of the great majority of people. His attitude of "I have mine; you figure it out for yourself" is simply untenable for a broad spectrum of people.

Over time the AHCA will hopefully be adjusted and fine tuned such that it provides the greatest degree of medical insurance for the most reasonable cost to the greatest number of people. Having a plan is a tremendous beginning; if we all work to improve that plan rather than moaning about our "free" health care having been abolished we will end up with a more equitable health care plan and a healthier population.

There is NO free lunch. That seems to really anger folks who have been free-riding for many years. Its over folks; time to deal with reality.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Good answer.

Is the AHCA perfect? No. But it sure beats the alternative of having a large portion of the population running around with no insurance, and yet expecting that their medical conditions will be addressed with the same certainty as those who pay for that protection. That model is simply unworkable--not to mention grossly inequitable.

My local Congressman is constantly betching about the AHCA, and yet, he and his party never made a proposal which broadly addressed the needs of the great majority of people. His attitude of "I have mine; you figure it out for yourself" is simply untenable for a broad spectrum of people.

Over time the AHCA will hopefully be adjusted and fine tuned such that it provides the greatest degree of medical insurance for the most reasonable cost to the greatest number of people. Having a plan is a tremendous beginning; if we all work to improve that plan rather than moaning about our "free" health care having been abolished we will end up with a more equitable health care plan and a healthier population.

There is NO free lunch. That seems to really anger folks who have been free-riding for many years. Its over folks; time to deal with reality.
I'm in agreement with this response. I think the problems with the AHCA will become evident. Everyone needs health insurance. A major problem is that employers are involved. Taking employers out of the middle would create a free market for health insurance just like any other type of product or service. Another problem is the way healthcare is charged and reimbursed. Charges for healthcare procedures should be clearly publicized. The reimbursement for healthcare services drives up the cost for everyone. Healthcare providers have incentives to do unnecessary procedures because of the fee for service reimbursement system.

There are no easy and clear solutions to the problems with paying for healthcare in this country but hopefully the AHCA exposes some of the issues.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have a gold plan , i am paying 5k less a year for my wife and i then i did prior for health insurance and i get zero subsidy and i live in nyc. i like our new plan.
That's awesome. I'm glad it is working for some (no snark).

I found I could reduce the cost of my premium by buying my insurance through my state's exchange, but the kicker is....very few doctors will accept the insurance. (Same company either way, Anthem Blue Cross). My allergist will not, and I rely on him a great deal. My primary care doctor will not. So, no thanks ACA.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
It's less than the insurance that we used to buy, with fewer restrictions. Every doctor seems to take it. Not so with our former policy. It's straight forward and user friendly.

It's also less expensive and it covers our college aged son, and soon to be college aged daughter.

I also have the gold plan.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

18,823 posts, read 8,484,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Those who are 'subsidized' should realize that the rest of us are paying for that subsidy. The government makes no money on its own; government engages in no legitimate business. Therefore, the only way the gobernment can 'subsidize' you, is to take it out of other people's pockets, which they do.

Who will be the first to cry "Foul!"??
Central Gov't can help cover HC costs through new money creation/deficit spending.
And yes they do. In fact that's a big part of how the Medicaid expansion works. Transferring obligations from the states which are not monetarily sovereign to the Federal Gov't.

Obamacare provided coverage for my daughter who could not find coverage at all. Obamacare raised our premiums slightly, but seriously reduced our copays and deductibles. This year we made out like bandits with my knee surgery and my wife's colonoscopy. And no, we are not subsidized in any way. Those with high risks and pre-existing disease did better with Obamacare than those healthy.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Our American system is not based on the idea of health insurance; it is based on the idea of pre-paid health care. There is a big difference.

We're 57 currently, retired, and purchase medical care through our former employer (a F50 company). It costs us $1000/month/person. It is an 80/20 plan through Cigna. $24K/year sux, but we know what we have. At least our daughter has health care through her employer; we had been paying $36K/year to include her as well.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
... The whole idea was cost control of health care and insurance and that is clearly not happening...
Respectfully, that was never the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics