Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:37 PM

35,100 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Good answer.

Is the AHCA perfect? No. But it sure beats the alternative of having a large portion of the population running around with no insurance, and yet expecting that their medical conditions will be addressed with the same certainty as those who pay for that protection. That model is simply unworkable--not to mention grossly inequitable.

My local Congressman is constantly betching about the AHCA, and yet, he and his party never made a proposal which broadly addressed the needs of the great majority of people. His attitude of "I have mine; you figure it out for yourself" is simply untenable for a broad spectrum of people.

Over time the AHCA will hopefully be adjusted and fine tuned such that it provides the greatest degree of medical insurance for the most reasonable cost to the greatest number of people. Having a plan is a tremendous beginning; if we all work to improve that plan rather than moaning about our "free" health care having been abolished we will end up with a more equitable health care plan and a healthier population.

There is NO free lunch. That seems to really anger folks who have been free-riding for many years. Its over folks; time to deal with reality.
Look at the Tri-Cities - most of the jobs that are there are low wage, no benefit jobs that don't offer insurance. You have a subsidy. Great. I was making less than $12/hr back there, and the $140 roughly that I was paying for the bronze plan was a real budget stretcher at the wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Look at the Tri-Cities - most of the jobs that are there are low wage, no benefit jobs that don't offer insurance. You have a subsidy. Great. I was making less than $12/hr back there, and the $140 roughly that I was paying for the bronze plan was a real budget stretcher at the wage.
At that point isn't it more efficent to pay for the penalty (if we are talking about 2014) at that point?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
At that point isn't it more efficent to pay for the penalty (if we are talking about 2014) at that point?
It would be, but what if you do get sick? You're royally screwed.

I had pneumonia last April and had a Humana plan at $100/month. I was out $600 between the office visit and the meds. The bronze plan was about equal to the Humana plan I had. I had insurance, but it was essentially catastrophic coverage. Paying $600 for a bronchitis visit is awful when you're making a little less than $12/hr.

I had pneumonia again this spring, but with better insurance and making $25/hr. I was out a grand total of $46.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM

352 posts, read 324,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Take a hypothetical situation. A 55 year old man is living in Los Angeles or San Francisco, he is able to earn $60,000/yr. works for a small company that does not offer health. He makes way too much money (over 400% of the poverty level) to qualify for any discount but $60k/yr is not a whole lot of money in LA. I see that even the Bronze plan is in the neighborhood of $450/month, is someone who makes $60k/yr mandated to spend $450/mo. on health insurance? The alternative is to pay the penalty but that's $1500 with nothing to show for it.

And with health insurance increasing at a rate of 10-15% annually what is going to happen in 5-10 years?

This idea sucks! The whole idea was cost control of health care and insurance and that is clearly not happening. The insurance is still ridiculously expensive.. and those that earn over $45k are required to buy it themselves and those under well, the taxpayer will cover it. LOL! What was expected is that insurance and health care become *AFFORDABLE* not subsidize and mandate purchase of ridiculously expensive and overpriced products and services.

Mandating someone who makes $60k in a super high cost area to buy $6000 worth of insurance yearly is asinine. As it is people can't get by or save for the future with escalating costs and stagnating wages... is this ridiculous requirement even feasible long term?

Even the employer mandate is a joke... employers are simply required to provide health insurance, not *affordable* health insurance. Yes, they can provide the same $450/mo. policy with employee paying 100%, what does that solve?
What kind of company pays a person $60k without healthcare?
In my entire adult life, I have never even applied for a job that didn't have healthcare included in the compensation package.

I get that for minimum wage jobs and freelance type jobs they don't have healthcare, but people in standard office jobs have it and I have seen no change in my healthcare or any of my friends' healthcare since the implementation of Obamacare...but I have seen several people who didn't have healthcare finally get a chance to see a doctor as a result of it.

FWIW I never once cast a vote for Obama in any election and am a registered Republican who votes for Libertarian candidates, and I was not really a supporter or opponent of Obamacare.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
In my entire adult life, I have never even applied for a job that didn't have healthcare included in the compensation package.

I get that for minimum wage jobs and freelance type jobs they don't have healthcare, but people in standard office jobs have it and I have seen no change in my healthcare or any of my friends' healthcare since the implementation of Obamacare...but I have seen several people who didn't have healthcare finally get a chance to see a doctor as a result of it.

FWIW I never once cast a vote for Obama in any election and am a registered Republican who votes for Libertarian candidates, and I was not really a supporter or opponent of Obamacare.
It is very common in IT to be a W-2 no benefit contractor working through a staffing agency in an office for a $60k wage.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post

??? In my entire adult life, I have never even applied for a job that did have healthcare included in the (so-called) compensation package.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:37 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Respectfully, that was never the idea.
Yeah.. It really was. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a MAIN focus of it, but... yeah.. It was a part of it,. Cost Containment in the Affordable Care Act: An Overview of Policies and Savings » Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation

It was, in fact, a selling point of it. And, if you want.. Quotes direct from Obama regarding that, including the infamous "If you like your health plan..." which has nothing to do with cost, but..

President Barack Obama on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act | Intellectual Takeout (ITO)

But.. Regardless of that. I disagree with it because it's BS.. It's junk. It's a half-assed compromise that just sucks. Take your pick.. Either leave things alone or pull the trigger and go socialized medicine. I'm one of the minority of republican-ish leaning people who don't have a problem with a single-payer system.. So long as the government is kept the hell out of it. How you accomplish that, I don't necessarily know, but..

I certainly don't want politicians deciding what treatments are available.. Cover conventional therapies.. Supplemental insurance available for experimental treatments or other things that might not be covered Birth control, for example.. And the reason I say that is because there's no way in hell you're passing a law in this country that allows birth control to be handed out like that.. Not because I'm opposed to it. I'm just a realist in knowing that it won't happen. So, compromise.. Out that goes. Same with abortion. It's fine, it's legal, but it's not covered in this mystical system. Supplemental for long-term care, such as nursing home care.

Generic drugs $5.. Name brand 50% co-pay. Vision, sure, why not?

Payment.. Payroll deduction.. If you're unemployed.. It comes out of your unemployment. If you're on disability, it comes out of your disability payment. If you're on welfare, it comes out of welfare. Social Security.. You pay as well. Obviously.. Those people would pay a lower percentage than those who are working, but.. Everyone pays in. Someone with 6 kids pays a higher rate than someone without kids.

Then the problem just becomes.. How to kick the politicians/politics out of the decisions so far as what is covered. And keep the politicians out of it.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It would be, but what if you do get sick? You're royally screwed.

I had pneumonia last April and had a Humana plan at $100/month. I was out $600 between the office visit and the meds. The bronze plan was about equal to the Humana plan I had. I had insurance, but it was essentially catastrophic coverage. Paying $600 for a bronchitis visit is awful when you're making a little less than $12/hr.

I had pneumonia again this spring, but with better insurance and making $25/hr. I was out a grand total of $46.
In the other side of the coin, if you don't get sick at all you get screwed paying the premiums and detestable. You can't win either way unless you get sick while on insurance.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,804,012 times
Yep. By design, it is already doing so. You *can't* keep the plan you like, and you will discover the new government "plan" will be inferior. There is no free lunch.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In the other side of the coin, if you don't get sick at all you get screwed paying the premiums and detestable. You can't win either way unless you get sick while on insurance.
That's the definition of insurance. I've paid home owners insurance for 10 years.. Never a claim. Paid car insurance for 25 years.. 1 claim (And that was a windshield)..

Yes, health insurance is more expensive than other insurances.. But.. Health insurance certainly isn't unique in that you don't win until you use it. And, rarely do you 'win' even if you use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics