Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,302,212 times

Advertisements

I never feel like I am lucky enough to get skipped. Apparently, I look like a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM

779 posts, read 633,393 times
That doesn't really happen. I have bad habit of looking friendly and making eye contact. Doh! I need to work on my B face.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,830,380 times
Every time my wife and I have a talk with a stranger, he or she always staring at my wife when we talk, very little eye contact with me. So one day I asked my wife is it just me or she felt it too? She said yes, she thinks I look serious even when I tried to smile, but that's me, trying to be myself. I can't change nature unless I have plastic surgery.

It also doesn't help that my wife has a baby face, looks very friendly and natural smiles even when doesn't try. Oh well.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,105,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This could be anything from newspaper subscription to solar power panels, etc while walking the mall or grocery store.

Do you feel slighted if they seem to approach everyone walking by but somehow skip you. Do you look at yourself and your clothes to see what threw them off to not even approach you. Or maybe you throw off a vibe that you're unapproachable or have that certain scowl that says "hey don't bother me"

Or do you just brush it off and thank god they didn't try to talk to you?

Thoughts
No. I feel like a pimp when that happens. I try to send non-verbal signals to tell them not to bother me with their crap.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why in the world would that bother anyone? It doesn't bother me in the least who talks to whom and honestly I prefer not to be bothered while I'm shopping

One side of the coin is maybe they look at you and think you're either cheap or not worthy of making a pitch to. Maybe unapproachable. I don't want to be known as unapproachable.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
One side of the coin is maybe they look at you and think you're either cheap or not worthy of making a pitch to. Maybe unapproachable. I don't want to be known as unapproachable.
That's the idea. If I could manage hostile, I'd do that.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,936,512 times
I do whatever I can to actually avoid these people.........

However, if you really want to know what their trying to pitch, then I suggest you walk right up to them and bait them into talking to you.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Generally, I feel relieved if they ignore me although sometimes I'll chat with them about their job. It's curious to find out the different interactions they have with the stream of general humanity wandering past them.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:30 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,701,959 times
In the case of walking past people in malls or (heaven forbid) the Cable subscription salespeople at Walmart (I hate that)...if they fasten onto someone else and I can blow past, I feel like I've dodged a bullet and I feel sorry for the poor sucker that got stopped. I zip past with great relief. Those people's opinion of me means nothing, they are there to be obstacles to my progress and waste my time, and try to persuade me to waste my money as well.

What did annoy me once, is that I needed shoes for a military ball, and I was prepared to spend significant money on them...much as it's not my thing and I'd rather not deal with it, the occasion called for it and I was prepared to meet that particular costuming challenge. So I went into a couple of shoe stores in the mall. At one of them, I did in fact have questions about getting a kind of shoe in a different size, but it was impossible to get the attention of a salesperson, who had attached herself to a better dressed woman customer. I may dress plainly, but I had a pocket full of cash and an intention to spend it, and I took it elsewhere. When I made my purchase at a competing store nearby, I made certain to tell the very nice lady that helped me, that I would have spent my money already if I hadn't been completely ignored by the personnel at that other store, who judged me on my casual attire.

People often read books by covers, and often enough it's their loss.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
I only get ticked if it's a crack addict offering to sell something valuable for pennies on the dollar in order to get his next fix. I hate it when I miss out on hot deals like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics