Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
It does stagnate wages of similar jobs at the low level.
Which "it" are you referring to?

Population level aside...
the issue is the number of people who will show up to apply for no/low skill job's.

Reduce THAT number and "the market" will force employers to pay better.
And to offer training. And to offer benefits. And to offer better schedules.
It's not all that complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:23 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,274,892 times
He's a member of The Young Redumblicons and thinks he needs a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
That list is pretty ridiculous... I don't think anyone pays $500 a month for transportation. I have what I consider to be a fairly long commute and spend less than $150 a month on gasoline.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
He's a member of The Young Redumblicons and thinks he needs a BMW
Which would cost a lot more than $500/month!

2014 BMW 5 Series 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 8-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

the issue is the number of people who will show up to apply for no/low skill job's.

Do you think angst number is or can be reduced?

We have just allowed a whole lot more new comers. We will never run out of these low skill people.

I honestly don't think the democrats want to make it better for working people. Their stand on immigration is social and cultural and they internationally separate that from economic issues. They want these working people to remain where they are, become dependent on government, and then get a bit of handouts that will not be much at all. But when people have no options, they are also under the control of the government.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Well except for the part where we are starting to automate a lot of those jobs away, increasing the number of folks applying for the remaining jobs.

You know....its not that complicated except for the reality of the work environment going the exact opposite way.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You know.... (understanding the problem is) not that complicated...
The complicated part is figuring out solution(s) that are palatable.

But the first step must be identifying what the problem actually is.
It is NOT that MW is too low let alone that it should be as high as the OP supports.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Like many people, that is not an option for me. Not meaning that I don't want to do it, meaning that I can't do it (at least without harming my daughter).

Your suggestion is a good one, for some people. For others, it's useless or not practically possible.
This is key with many of the options. People should only really do something if the juice is worth the squeeze of the fruit. If moving isn't an option because you are in agood school district and you would have to change one to a lesser school district, that is an issue. It is not an excuse, it's a legitmate concern as is moving with under a hundred dollars to your name. Unless you have a support system like family, churches, or soup kitchens, it ain't going to work except in a few anecdotal cases. This is why the Salvation Army is paying for bus tickets to get the unemployed homeless in Wilmington, ND to go home.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:46 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Every person posting here is allowed to use their own funds in starting a business while NOT depending on anyone else to offer them a position with a paycheck.

Coming out of the Military had a job at a small mfg job on a punch press machine 40 hrs a week. Got a infection in my throat from the work and my MD suggested another line of work.

That is when I decided to return to school and get my degree that resulted in being a self employed business owner of 6 different operations during a 36 yr period.......never regretted my decision...it can be done.
Easy to say for you as you started a business in a totally different economy. I'm a former successful business owner, btw.
Starting a business in this economy is MUCH harder than it was 35 years ago.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This is exactly the problem. "Everyone" has to do it, but I can't. There is always an exception, when it's you.

If you aren't doing it because of "harm", then it IS because you don't want to do it. What harm will come to her exactly?
Damn right I don't want to do it. Said another way, I won't do it.
Because if I do, my daughter won't have a father in her life anymore.

What sort of solution advocates for the destruction of relationships between parents and young children?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Easy to say for you as you started a business in a totally different economy. I'm a former successful business owner, btw.
Starting a business in this economy is MUCH harder than it was 35 years ago.
Not to disagree but many millenials disagree as they are actually able to start businesses. Apprently starting a business is easy and more fruitful than getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics