Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times

Advertisements

I was doing taxes this year and always double check by using two different software companies to determine if my numbers are right etc.
Well, to make a long story short Turbo tax used Social Security wages and Taxlsayer used block 1 Wages, tips other comp for figuring out income to finalize taxes. Obviously numbers came out different.
What software do you all use? And is this something that is correct. I always did by paper for years, and Social Security wages doesnt get used on paper for figuring out income for doing your taxes.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
SS wages affects your Medicare tax. Actual wages affects WH tax. And, no, I don't know why the numbers are different.

I use TurboTax Business. With the IRS reducing its staff answering the phone, TurboTax providing on-line customer assistance with tax questions really helps.

Now, as to who understands the IRS regs and laws, the answer is, NO ONE! You call the IRS, ask six people the same question, odds are that you will get six different answers.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I was doing taxes this year and always double check by using two different software companies to determine if my numbers are right etc.
Well, to make a long story short Turbo tax used Social Security wages and Taxlsayer used block 1 Wages, tips other comp for figuring out income to finalize taxes. Obviously numbers came out different.
What software do you all use? And is this something that is correct. I always did by paper for years, and Social Security wages doesnt get used on paper for figuring out income for doing your taxes.
Thoughts?

Something is wrong. I've completed my taxes and turbo tax is using box 1 wages as a base not ss.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Thoughts?
I use an accountant because when I didn't, I made too many errors. I also track everything in a spreadsheet. I've found two people here who can do copy and pastes of my columns in their sw. I'm retired (early) and have to be very careful how I track and use money. I've gone through accountants here and ditched them due to their lies or mistakes. But I had a good one (her business just grew too quickly) and now I have a better one and she costs less because I'm making her life and work a lot simpler.

I don't trust Quicken to do the work I need to do accurately. I used it when my taxes were easier to do (I made a lot more than now) but I need the safety net of an accountant to warn me about earning over a certain amount each year. Using an accountant, if the IRS catches an error (they can't the way the process is designed), I have a body in front of mine with receipts and accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics