Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
You know essentials like groceries aren't taxed right?
Unless of course you live in one of the 14 states where they are.

Which States Tax the Sale of Food for Home Consumption in 2009? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 12:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
The fallacy of tax reform is that when you propose a new tax to replace an old tax, if that new tax ever gets enacted, it gets added to the old tax instead of replacing it.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

They're all red states except Illinois.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
That's funny, I buy stuff at the grocery store every day and I could have sworn that I pay sales tax each time.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM

I think more rich people should think like Arnold Schwarzenegger. When he was governor of California -- I voted for him both times -- he said he likes paying taxes because it reminds him of how rich he is.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:00 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Quote:
They would have to be if you want sales tax to replace income tax. People would stop buying luxuries, so necessities would need to be taxed or the government would not earn enough income to replace the income they lost from income taxes.

Plus the sales tax would have to be something like 20-30%. That would be in addition to the sales taxes you currently pay in state and city sales taxes, not instead of it. Prepare for a huge drop in consumption, which would cause a huge recession, and you might be one of the millions who lose their jobs.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:17 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have various investments and I don't find federal taxes hard to file.
*All* of the complexity comes from the millions of exemptions and modifications to what gets classified as income, and then figuring out how to structure your records and investments to avoid paying. If we took those away it would take seconds to figure out what you owe.

I think most people agree that the wealthy should pay more, especially since that is the only demographic that has seen a real rise in income in the last few decades. Unfortunately since we've gone "global" it's easier than ever for them to avoid paying.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Huh. I stand corrected. I live in California and it seems like I usually pay sales taxes at the grocery store. Will have to check it out next time.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
I don't feel comfortable with the Boogieman (The IRS) looking over my shoulder at my wallet and smacking his lips. It's harder to make a mistake with federal sales tax and you don't have to be in constant fear of Mr. Taxman taking everything you own over a penny discrepancy.
If it is not somehow adjusted, Federal Sales Tax is regressive. A better way, I'd argue, is the Fair Tax , in which you get a rebate to cancel the tax on expenses up to poverty level, so the effective tax rate on a poverty line expense level is zero, and it goes up from there.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:07 PM

354 posts, read 281,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
They would have to be if you want sales tax to replace income tax. People would stop buying luxuries, so necessities would need to be taxed or the government would not earn enough income to replace the income they lost from income taxes.

Plus the sales tax would have to be something like 20-30%. That would be in addition to the sales taxes you currently pay in state and city sales taxes, not instead of it. Prepare for a huge drop in consumption, which would cause a huge recession, and you might be one of the millions who lose their jobs.
This.

Work moved me from WA to ID 3 months ago. The sales tax in WA was 9.3% and for the last 4 - 5 years I lived there I either bought used, bought from out of state, bought on post, or just did without until I left the state. Heck, I'm still driving a 15 year old car I bought cheap & used 5 1/2 years ago partly because WA socks you a good one at the DMV when you go to register. At least they don't charge you annual property tax on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics