Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 02:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Rail infrastructure already exists with a lot of room to expand. Maybe if that max's out AI will appear, but not before then.

Rail is generally not cost effective below 750 miles. It will continue to dominate some forms such as bulk cargo and long haul. It is not going to become effective on short haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm sick of these scare tactics, I have 30 years til retirement. What am I supposed to do, quit my job and go back to college in the hopes of getting a job that pays what I make now?!?

A young man I used to work with got his Masters in Nuclear Engineering (of some type) from University of Michigan(top notch education) probably 5 years ago by now. Works for Bechtel in the divisions dealing with nuclear propulsion for naval vessels.

Couple of years ago, during a performance review,he was told to go back to school as he was already out of date. He had been preparing to do so, just was so surprised by how quickly it happened.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:54 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Here's another sector facing competition from AI. I happen to have a cousin who is in at the beginning of this startup. If AI outperforms human investment advisors, a lot of rich people are going to end up drawing unemployment.

Startup LendingRobot launches automated hedge fund investing in loans | Reuters

Old 01-27-2017, 08:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'd argue the process started at least 300 years ago. And I see no reason to think the trend of new jobs coming into being to replace old ones is changing any time soon. There are simply too many things, both "mechanical" and "mental", that computers are simply not good at.
This is simply not true. Even flying airliners is now done MUCH better by computer (Airbus has proven this).

Foxconn, the largest electronics contractor in the world (iphones) is currently building robots to replace most assembly line workers. The most delicate jobs in car manufacturing (painting, for example) are completely robotic.

I was at a small factory recently that makes bags of stuff (think mulch or sand) and they had a robot which stacked 40 of the bags on each pallet. It was PERFECT. That is one small example, but please take a look at a modern car factory. As it stands now we need about 1/8th of the workforce needed before...and that will be reduced further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5AYZxsnDuM

Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Here's another sector facing competition from AI. I happen to have a cousin who is in at the beginning of this startup. If AI outperforms human investment advisors, a lot of rich people are going to end up drawing unemployment.

This won't happen because people are easily fooled person to person.

An example already exists. We know that any retail investor who simply put their money in Vanguard Index funds or Berkshire would have made vastly more money than the "active" investors or most of those who hired a guy or company to invest for them (and take 10 or 20% of the take).....

But they don't.

This is because humans are not robots and subject to disbelieving the truth. Many other things follow this same logic. When humans are involved, alt-truth is at work.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This won't happen because people are easily fooled person to person.
Yep, salesman.

A lot of jobs will be at risk when robots becomes better at fooling people into parting with their $$$ than humans.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

No load index funds.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
I want a stake in the company that owns the robots that maintain and service the robots.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
It's "The Matrix" and "The Terminator" coming true.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
It's "The Matrix" and "The Terminator" coming true.
If you read the first post you'll see that I believe there are much more pressing issues where AI is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics