Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There you go, right again. I suspect you are accurately describing what you learned in school, how you made it through to graduation, and how you have been able to keep a job. Yup students are really pushed to cram in a lot of knowledge. The average college student takes maybe 12 or 15 credit hours per semester. That means they need to show up for classes around 2 or 3 hours a day. That leaves no time for "much thinking about anything, critical or otherwise". Your life sure has been tough with all that compliance and conforming and being constantly pushed around by teachers and employers. Well, at least you learned to go with the flow.

Again, maybe there is a different path that some others take. Which is exactly what I am advocating.

I described rather universal student experience and you keep on trying to turn this discussion personal. I have no personal anxieties for you to play with, sorry. While at it, could you please share a few enormous feats of independent critical thinking you achieved in College while solving run of the mill, bare bone simplified problems thousands if not millions of students solved before you? Or perhaps you could share some stories of independent intellectual pursuits outside of classroom? Dont be shy. Sure I may lack capacity to grasp all the magnificence of your bigger than life experience but I'll give it a solid try.

Last edited by RememberMee; 06-22-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:46 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Since when are those things taught in school or any training?

....... AI is going to clean your clock.
Sorry you had such a bad college experience. I was lucky enough to go to several colleges and universities and to have professors who indeed tried to improve critical thinking and reasoning and analytical skills. Some were excellent at that. Others taught information and the students needed to push themselves to learn more. Sometimes that turns out to be a good approach also. Being in school is an opportunity unto itself that allows one to learn by individual direction.

AI is definitely not going to clean my clock. For one thing I am not working. When I was working I would have been happy to have more powerful computers and software, AI included. The computer tools I had were too crude to meet my needs. I could find endless uses for more powerful computer tools. AI would have been wonderful. Trying to work with programmers is a nightmare. We need computers that can operate beyond hard coding. Look at the approach to driverless cars. It would not be remotely possible to think of all situations and to hard code computers to make decisions at a level needed to operate a vehicle. With AI it should be possible even though what is available now is very crude. Even more exciting, AI can be "cloned" from one computer to another indefinitely. AI is going to offer us absolutely wonderful opportunities.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Sorry you had such a bad college experience.
What the hell do you mean? I loved it. I hardly had to study and got high honors. IQ in the 99.999%ile. But that was true in 3rd grade as well. I wasn't taught it in school.

Quote:
Even more exciting, AI can be "cloned" from one computer to another indefinitely. AI is going to offer us absolutely wonderful opportunities.
For someone who claims to have good reasoning ability, I amazed that you find this so difficult to grasp.

Sure it will be amazing, but only for a few. The AI will have ability beyond any human. It can be cloned indefinitely... no training required. Humans will be useless, economically. Good luck with your high paying job.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM

No training required. Can be cloned. Great. But after that you leap into science fiction. Computers, AI included, are tools which will allow us to do things that we can barely imagine. Millions of people will use those tools, find new applications and move to the next level.

It is like your 99.9999% IQ. It is what you do with it that is important.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Computers, AI included, are tools which will allow us to do things that we can barely imagine.
When a machine exceeds your abilities in every functional way, then what use can you possibly be?

I can understand how a person with modest intelligence and a short attention span would have a difficult time grasping this in a couple minutes. But you've been posting in this thread for years, and still keep making the same simple errors.

I suggest you start at the beginning. If you get hung up on some point, please ask questions.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
To a large degree we continue to fall toward the "Tower of Babel" syndrome. We are building our tower to heaven...or hell depending on your view. But in fact the God or gods may actually smite us with to point out our lack of understanding.

We clearly can build machines that have wide capabilities. But do they think? Can they actually learn? We confuse pattern recognition with learning. Give enough data and enough time machines can determine a response to a situation. Good thing when we are trying to get them to drive automobiles. But they don't really think...they sort and compare patterns.

Some of it is good. Soon we may actually be able to accurately machine recognize and translate speech. We are not there yet...but a lot closer than 20 years ago. But all that is just fast pattern recognition from large data basis.

I would think the sudden flood of insight when you make a discovery is outside the range of machines for the immediate future. The creative types are still safe. The designers of things are more effective because the machines act as amplifiers and assistants. But the decision that a path is not going to work? No the machine grinds away until someone turns it off.

Or my favorite decision maker. An Engineering Manager who was technically only adequate. But he had a marvelous skill...he could look at a complex situation and invariably pick the right alternative. He was well my intellectual inferior. He and I both knew it and we covered because he was an ME and I was an EE/Physicist. But he made the murky decisions and was always right. The technical stuff I handled with a very good batting average. How does any machine deal with that?

There is an art about certain kinds of decision making...and it is not translatable easily into machine code. Not sure we understand it...but it is there.

So yeah the machines are coming. So find a job dealing with people or high art. The machines are at least a few generations away from that and may never do it. They break down and speak babel at that point.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
When a machine exceeds your abilities in every functional way, then what use can you possibly be?

I suggest you start at the beginning. If you get hung up on some point, please ask questions.
I do understand your premise. It is like a broken record that never changes.

Anyway, how can we use a machine that exceeds our abilities? Silly, we do that all the time even with today's computers. In some regards they have way more capability and can do things we cannot approach. But like your 99.9999, it is useless without direction, purpose, goals. You have succumbed to silly science fiction notions where machines do what they want and eventually take over the world. Computers, with or without AI, robots and all other forms of automation are wonderful tools that we can use. They don't just go about their business doing what they choose. Computers that learn are not new. Today's versions are just finally advancing. A machine that "learns" beyond simple programming does in no way become some sort of human creation.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We clearly can build machines that have wide capabilities. But do they think? Can they actually learn?
AI will "think" and "learn" at near human ability in the near future. Unless computing progress stalls quite soon, there is every reason to believe human brain power will be exceeded in every way. Creative types? What sort of creativity do you believe a machine will be unable to match? They'll be able to produce symphonies that symphony lovers like, as effortlessly as self driving car navigates a busy street better than any human driver.

The same goes for any practical task. I'm not saying that machines will perfectly emulate humans, but there is no reason why they should. They will use their strengths (speed, precision, focus) to leave humans in the dust. Most human "thinking" is muddled with false beliefs, and easily manipulated emotions. As well as being fuzzy and error prone on the best days.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
AI will "think" and "learn" at near human ability in the near future. Unless computing progress stalls quite soon, there is every reason to believe human brain power will be exceeded in every way. Creative types? What sort of creativity do you believe a machine will be unable to match? They'll be able to produce symphonies that symphony lovers like, as effortlessly as self driving car navigates a busy street better than any human driver.

The same goes for any practical task. I'm not saying that machines will perfectly emulate humans, but there is no reason why they should. They will use their strengths (speed, precision, focus) to leave humans in the dust. Most human "thinking" is muddled with false beliefs, and easily manipulated emotions. As well as being fuzzy and error prone on the best days.
You obviously have never been involved in the creative process. So you don't understand it and likely never will. If you have not gone that route by the time you get out of college you most likely never will.

So there is a whole scenario out there that you will never understand. "I need a device to control the toner level on a color copier" "I need a way to connect my workstations" " I need to scan documents wherever I am with a hand held device" I need to provide a gaming experience to people on their computer" "I need a format to make devices reproduce even with different coding in different areas". "I need to know how may people to build the new gizmo" "If I give you an infinite budget how long will it take?"

Try and get a device to answer those questions. Fun huh?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Robots don't have to be terribly intelligent to take a job away. The elevator operator lost his job to a pretty dumb device. Gas station attendant, too. Others, like TV repairmen and copier repairmen simply disappeared into history.

Who would have guessed we would someday just throw our old copier away?

I think the problem will solve itself as the world population decreases, which it will starting in a few years.
The curve ball?........ A Carrington Event like the one we had in 1859. Only the next one that hits will destroy darn near every integrated circuit on earth. Cars; power generation; communications; robots; ......Curtains, for most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics