Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

419 posts, read 2,018,953 times

Advertisements

They say that about fifty percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and are only a month from financial disaster. Their fixed expenses are at or above their income and they have little or no savings.

This was easier in a period of low unemployment, but now as the country moves into a recession, many people are in for a shock of their lives. When the major layoffs start coming many of us will find out that getting a new job will take alot longer than it use to. I talk to friends who live in smaller towns and they tell me now even low wage jobs can have a hundred applicants. I think we can soon say we will have a labor surplus, not a shortage.

Have you ever been broke and unable to find a job? What did you do? Have you or friends lived paycheck to paycheck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Looking at things in a macro sense, I'm not so sure that I buy into the potential labor surplus. Look at the sheer number of boomers that are poised to retire in the next few years.

There will obviously be pockets within the economy that will deviate from the norm, but in general I don't worry a lot about a labor surplus causing employment problems.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,824 times
Default it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Looking at things in a macro sense, I'm not so sure that I buy into the potential labor surplus. Look at the sheer number of boomers that are poised to retire in the next few years.

There will obviously be pockets within the economy that will deviate from the norm, but in general I don't worry a lot about a labor surplus causing employment problems.
It's going to depend on how many boomer's can actually retire. From what I seen out there alot of them were not wise about there finances and will have trouble leaving the work force.

Look guys sometimes you got to suck it up and take the lower paying, crappy jobs. Yeah I know that sucks but you have to do what you have to do to survive.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
Sprint laid off 4000. Ermm. Wonder how they are going to pay the mortgage. Probably with a low paying, crappy job.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Perhaps people will have to return to farming and manufacturing? Higher unemployment will bring a backlash against illegal immigrants. I am divided as to whether the recession will crash real estate values or stupid foreign investors will buy up real estate and keep property unaffordable.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I am divided as to whether the recession will crash real estate values or stupid foreign investors will buy up real estate and keep property unaffordable.
Why are foreign investors stupid for buying US real estate?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM

123 posts, read 96,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Why are foreign investors stupid for buying US real estate?
Because it's seen by many as catching a falling knife.

Except for choice properties on the West Coast or Miami condos bought for a quarter on the dollar, I don't see foreigners saving the day. Also, many foreigners who currently own will be dumping property at this point to save their skin.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
There is always work to be had. Maybe it won't keep you in your 4br 'burb house and your two gas-guzzling SUVs, but if you want to work there is always a job to be had.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Perhaps people will have to return to farming and manufacturing? Higher unemployment will bring a backlash against illegal immigrants. I am divided as to whether the recession will crash real estate values or stupid foreign investors will buy up real estate and keep property unaffordable.
Farming is expensive.
Without crop supports and the "F" form on income tax, few would be able to farm. Diesel, fertilizer, land, and equipment. Millions to get started.

Open a factory?? How do you get a loan when your unemployed???

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
There is always work to be had. Maybe it won't keep you in your 4br 'burb house and your two gas-guzzling SUVs, but if you want to work there is always a job to be had.
Yep, I alway found it. Looked in the obituaries at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics