Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 AM

110 posts, read 86,725 times

Advertisements

The US has beaten Saudi Arabia as biggest producer of oil. For the first time since 1975. Still, we are importing vast quantities of oil from overseas, because our consumption is exceeding US production.

Shouldn't we lower our consumption to a level that is on par with production? That way we can keep valuable funds inside the country.

What's your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Question: Who is going to give up their cars, to lower consumption. Especially in areas like Montana and other mountain and plains states, where your car is only transportation option.

And well over half the vehicles are either full size pickups often 4 door, and big SUVs. Reason, in the winter we need to be able to drive in mountains with snow and ice conditions. We use heavy duty snow tires with studs to be able to move around in the winter.

My wife and I have 3 vehicles. A Blazer (smaller SUV) my wife uses to run a mile to the grocery store and post office, etc., a F150 pickup to haul the garbage and trash to the dump, and to drive 50 or 90 miles each way when we want to shop for larger items to get them home which is also my run to town car, and a Ford Explorer (large mid size SUV) for trips and to go 50 miles each way to go shopping in the winter.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 AM

4 posts, read 12,248 times
We must be economical in fuel consumption.
http://uiwalls.ml/27/o.png

Old 06-18-2015, 02:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
We must be economical in fuel consumption.
Explain how we can do this.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
The US is already a net exporter of oil PRODUCTS. And would soon be an exporter of crude if the price hadn't dropped. The advent of more electric cars and higher mileage standards could bring this about. But make this clear: there will always be oil imports. Particularly in States that border Canada. Cheaper to ship from there.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 AM

110 posts, read 86,725 times
I don't think we need to give up our cars. If we can get our vehicles to EU standards of fuel consumption, we can lower the need for oil by 20%. If, besides that, indeed we offer more electric alternatives to city people, of course not to farm folk or people that live in rural areas, I believe we can end our dependence on foreign oil.

Let me be clear here, I don't want to get rid of "our American way". I do believe that we need to get rid of the influence of the Middle East. No more dependency on oil means no more wars to fight; let them cook in their own problems then.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
The other option is to increase our U.S. production, to replace the imported oil. Our production has been slowed due to lower demand and lower prices at the pump. Ask the people in South Dakota that have been laid off.

Oilfield service companies, workers deal with layoffs in wake of low oil prices | Grand Forks Herald

Itemizing The Oil Bust: 75,000 Layoffs And Counting - Forbes

Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Current US laws allow the export of refined products but does not allow the export of crude.

Keep in mind that the majority of crude use in this country is for commerce not passenger car fuel... diesel and jet fuel take a larger percentage.

At the current time there is no reasonable alternative to petroleum for transportation fuel so a forced reduction will hurt the economy and impact quality of life.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife and I have 3 vehicles. A Blazer (smaller SUV) my wife uses to run a mile to the grocery store and post office, etc., a F150 pickup to haul the garbage and trash to the dump, and to drive 50 or 90 miles each way when we want to shop for larger items to get them home which is also my run to town car, and a Ford Explorer (large mid size SUV) for trips and to go 50 miles each way to go shopping in the winter.
Our habit of using huge vehicles to hop around town is insane. These can be reserved for when you really need them. And repurpose most roads, lanes, and parking for *much* smaller vehicles. Greater than 200 mpge is easily achievable with current tech. No that isn't with all the comforts of home, but it's enclosed and something you can get around town in (<600 lb, 80mph max, 40mi range).

But few would want to give up being "king of the road" in their 6000 lb behemoth. And small vehicles are simply unsafe on roads dominated by these huge vehicles.

Don't know if you are aware of this, but there is a small car planned to be ready for production next year that looks interesting. Gas powered 2-seater and >80 mpg on the highway. I hope they are successful but it seems like a long shot. Cheap, only $7000.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Some people will buy the 80 mpg cheap new vehicles, but like electrics (half of 1%) the percentage will be low and limited mostly to those finding it a novelty or that are environmental activists. They are really only practical for commuting within a city, and then still not nearly as efficient as using public transportation. I would never consider going on a freeway or highway with either of those pictured vehicles. We often take 2,000+ mile road trips, and I prefer to have a little bit of a chance against the 18 wheelers with some power, speed, and metal around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics