Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 05:14 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, things seem bad:

1.) US economy: Doing poorly. Federal Reserve money printing hiding true damage from the public (or trying, anyway. Some of us are starting to figure it out.)

2.) Japan: Negative interest rates. Economy in trouble.

3.) Europe - Euro in trouble, especially in Greece.

4.) Russia - Economy not doing so hot.

5.) China - Economy not doing so hot.

6.) Australia - Unknown

7.) Middle East - Whole region seems to be in more conflicts than ever

8.) South America and Central America - Bad, especially in Venezuela.

9.) Africa - Not good standard of living plus lots of turmoil

10.) India - Unknown

Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
I actually support Brexit. The EU is a tyranny. The uncontrolled immigration is ruining Europe. The UK did the right thing.

I think the next move should be for the US and Israel to ditch the UN.

I believe that with the UN and EU gone, THEN we'll see recovery.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I actually support Brexit. The EU is a tyranny. The uncontrolled immigration is ruining Europe. The UK did the right thing.

I think the next move should be for the US and Israel to ditch the UN.

I believe that with the UN and EU gone, THEN we'll see recovery.
Protectionism hurts growth

Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
As long as you can just print out the money, how can we ever be in trouble? We can always just print what we need to pay off what needs paying. Even a ponzi scheme can technically go on forever no?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
As long as you can just print out the money, how can we ever be in trouble? We can always just print what we need to pay off what needs paying.
Exactly. No currency-issuing authority can ever run out of currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Even a ponzi scheme can technically go on forever no?
Actual Ponzi schemes fail because they lack access to a reliable stream of income. If Charles Ponzi had been able to generate income from arbitrage of international postal coupons as he had advertised, his company might have been a part of the DJIA today. Sadly, he could not do that, and his scheme instead failed in a matter of months.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
I don't believe that collapse is imminent but the economy cannot continue in the same manner in the long run. Almost half of economic growth is due to population growth and demographers are projecting that sometime in the next 100 or so years population growth will slow and perhaps reverse. Because of that and because of the inversion of the population distribution (more elderly, less births) GDP will fall. Our economy is pretty much predicated upon GDP growth; it is what enables us to support the older segment of the population for one thing.

Unfortunately, the situation above is made worse by the advances in medicine. People live longer than they used to so we have a population segment that is increasing, not working, and in need of more and more expensive medical services. On the other end of the demographic spectrum, the working segment of the population is increasingly being replaced with automation. So who is going to support the elder segment of the population?

I don't know exactly what will happen but I strongly believe that in 100-200 years the world will be quite different economically. The transition from what we have now to what it will be in 200 years may be a rough one as people tend to not like change. At any rate I will be long dead so I am not worried but somebody will need to worry about this some day.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:36 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Far more posts deleted than remain. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics