Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times

Advertisements

Cannot believe how well the economy of the US is doing given the considerable headwinds facing Europe and Asia.

- Stock market has dipped a bit but still rebounding strongly from every dip, it crashed 1000 but regained everything in a matter of 2 days
- Home prices are reaching astronomical highs. Here in Southern California the market is on fire even stronger than the peak of the last bubble. Economists claim real estate market is solid and will still go up.
- Job market is robust with low unemployment and strong incomes. Six figure incomes seem to be the norm here in Southern California for those with a degree in STEM. Even entry level college grads in STEM are receiving offers of $80k+. Experienced people $150k+ package (with bonuses taken into account). Someone I know got a $15,000 sign-on bonus which was crazy just a few years ago. Non STEM is a bit lower but still solid.
- Restaurants are flooded, car dealerships are flooded, people are spending money like crazy

Old 09-01-2015, 11:05 AM

105 posts, read 113,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Cannot believe how well the economy of the US is doing given the considerable headwinds facing Europe and Asia.

- Stock market has dipped a bit but still rebounding strongly from every dip, it crashed 1000 but regained everything in a matter of 2 days
- Home prices are reaching astronomical highs. Here in Southern California the market is on fire even stronger than the peak of the last bubble. Economists claim real estate market is solid and will still go up.
- Job market is robust with low unemployment and strong incomes. Six figure incomes seem to be the norm here in Southern California for those with a degree in STEM. Even entry level college grads in STEM are receiving offers of $80k+. Experienced people $150k+ package (with bonuses taken into account). Someone I know got a $15,000 sign-on bonus which was crazy just a few years ago. Non STEM is a bit lower but still solid.
- Restaurants are flooded, car dealerships are flooded, people are spending money like crazy
This is a bad sign. Too many people are feeling this way.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
This is a bad sign. Too many people are feeling this way.
I don't think this is a bad sign. The global economy is in a tailspin and the US is perceived as a safe haven right now. This can only be good for the US as global capital is flooding in here. This means more investment in the economy. Perhaps someone can offer a rebuttal to this?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 AM

105 posts, read 113,801 times
Quote:
I don't think this is a bad sign. The global economy is in a tailspin and the US is perceived as a safe haven right now. This can only be good for the US as global capital is flooding in here. This means more investment in the economy. Perhaps someone can offer a rebuttal to this?
Too many people think US Stocks are safe. That's a bad sign. Bear markets happen when most people are bullish, even the shoe shine boys.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
Too many people US Stocks are safe. That's a bad sign. Bear markets happen when most people are bullish even the shoe shine boys.
The shoe shine boys may be bullish, but every conservative seems to think the economy is in the dumpster and the country is heading in the wrong direction.

So I don't know that "most" people are bullish. But of course, it's possible they're saying one thing and doing another.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:38 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Can you provide evidence for it? After all, it's your thread.

Incomes and production are still depressed, debt levels high. The opposite of investment is still happening. The strong US$ means that exports are too expensive, and imports are cheap. We are continuing our role as the absorber of the world's excess production.

"The income of the median U.S. household was $51,900 in 2013, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday. That's essentially unchanged from 2012, after adjusting for inflation, and is 8 percent lower than in 2007, before the recession began."

"The US trade deficit exploded in March to $51.4 billion, a six-year high. This was much more than the $41.7 billion economists had expected, according to Bloomberg. It's the largest deficit since October 2008. The deficit rose by 43.1%, the largest in 18 years, Bloomberg noted.May 5, 2015"

Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM

335 posts, read 376,783 times
What stock market are you talking about? It can not be NYSE. Major Indexes are well off the highs. The economy has been limping along since the crash of 09. We are barley at 2-3% GDP. This is after they changed the way it was calculated last April.

A bear market is underway along with a global recession. America is not exempt. Look at oil and commodities. If things were booming cooper and oil would be way higher. So you either dont know or just live in a fantasy world.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Hiring is down quite noticeably from last year and incomes for most in America are completely stagnant. The unemployment rate in California, where the op is from, is still sky high.

How is this economy better than ever?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
So you either dont know or just live in a fantasy world.
My evidence is anecdotal based on observations of how people are spending money in the real world. That is all I care about. There is a huge level of consumer optimism. The real estate run up and low interest rates has caused a huge surge in spending, I see it with my own eyes. I know so many people who have bought ridiculously expensive cars of late - Audis, BMWs, Mercedes... just a few years ago these people were not doing so well. Now they are.

In my last job I used to work in the same building as a mortgage company - the agents there are all driving brand new German exotics. The entire parking lot is filled with them. And these are just young people - in their 30s. Even if these were acquired with debt it signifies that people have optimism in the economy.

My cousin is only 25 years old and is a realtor in westside Southern California, she is selling homes in the $1.5 million range with ease and raking in the dough! People are just flush with cash, that is the observation regardless of what the indices say.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:37 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:

The USA serves this role because the dollar is used to trade oil and metals. So when the world economy sux (as now), it catapults the US economy with the strong dollar to encourage spending. When the world economy thrives, the US dollar falls and the US economy is negatively impacted. We are the counterbalancing weight of the world economy.

The low metal and oil prices negatively impact S. America, Middle East and Africa. You are seeing the Eurozone start to take off also from the low energy and minerals prices. China and Asia in theory should benefit but the strong dollar hurts their ability to purchase oil and minerals.

It's all circular and built into the business cycles of commodities and manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics