Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean like this article based upon the fed's reports?
Most workers actually making LESS than 5 years ago

theres a lot of data backing that up. A simple google search would have demonstrated how wrong you are about this.
How am I wrong about this when I've not once commented on whether most workers are making more or less than five years ago? You're like King Straw Man, arguing against anything and everything you can attribute to me which I haven't said.

Here again is the claim I'm disputing, try to read it slowly King Straw Man:

Quote:
All newly created jobs are low paying jobs in service sector, waiters and bartenders.
I didn't say all new jobs pay well, I didn't say most jobs aren't in the service sector, I didn't say whatever the next offshoot argument you're going to dream up, I'm just saying there were jobs other than low paying and I provided well over a million examples. The argument that all new jobs are low paying is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Every business coming to our city is "retail" or "fast food" and this doesn't replace the tech and manufacturing jobs that have been lost. I have seen these businesses come in only to close since what we don't need is a place to spend money that we don't have.

It is sad situation and will touch more and more lives if nothing is done.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I didn't say all new jobs pay well, I didn't say most jobs aren't in the service sector, I didn't say whatever the next offshoot argument you're going to dream up, I'm just saying there were jobs other than low paying and I provided well over a million examples. The argument that all new jobs are low paying is ridiculous.
I pointed out that all jobs was a imprecise statement. but stated that the majority are. Nice strawman

Given that the pay has gone down, and that the data you provided showed that the majority were in the service sector....you're trying to mislead at best.

Even better is this though:
Quote:
This is the claim I am disputing, which apparently you're trying your best to agree with:

"All newly created jobs are low paying jobs in service sector, waiters and bartenders. "

So looking at the data we see over the last year:
+219k jobs in construction
+141k jobs in manufacturing
+151k jobs in finance
+641k jobs in professional and business services
+457 jobs in healthcare

Clearly the claim I'm disputing is false, and I'm baffled as to how you can look at the table and argue with it unless you consider above jobs low paying service sector jobs.
"Professional and business services" for example...641,000 jobs. OMG and the title...those must be the big paying jobs right?

OK lets look. Yup theres some computer stuff there...but also a ton of low paid jobs as well. hmmmmm

And the biggest numbers are in the low paying jobs.

heck 100K of them are "temporary help services". LOL.

Since you apparently do not comprehend the document you are referring too (and that the numbers are broken down) heres some news articles to help you:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/b...ow-paying.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/bu...paid-ones.html

Credit Suisse low wage hours acceleration - Business Insider

Help wanted: Most U.S. job openings are for low-skill, low-pay workers

Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We will never solve the poverty issue until we significantly reduce our out of wedlock birth rate. Even liberal researchers from think tanks like the Brookings Institution are admitting it:

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things — finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children — their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent.........no government program is likely to reduce child poverty as much as bringing back marriage as the preferable way of raising children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...JqU_story.html
Also when one has a record, even a non violent drug use offense, the chance for getting a higher paid job declines.
Stop the war on drugs, it isn't working and it unfavorably punishes minorities especially those in the inner city.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:19 PM

34,021 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We will never solve the poverty issue until we significantly reduce our out of wedlock birth rate. Even liberal researchers from think tanks like the Brookings Institution are admitting it:

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things — finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children — their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent.........no government program is likely to reduce child poverty as much as bringing back marriage as the preferable way of raising children.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 6,272,804 times
*THIS* IS "TRICKLE DOWN" ECONOMIC THEORY AT WORK FOLKS!!! The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

So it goes.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Also when one has a record, even a non violent drug use offense, the chance for getting a higher paid job declines.
Stop the war on drugs, it isn't working and it unfavorably punishes minorities especially those in the inner city.
I sort of feel two ways about the war on drugs.

On the one hand, I agree with you. But on the other, I see what has happened with pot. In CA where it is only legal for "medicinal" purposes, it is effectively legal for anything. I get sick of people who smoke pot openly in public, etc.

So, while I do think incarceration needs to end, I do think we need effective drug treatment, rehab, etc.

I also think a lot of the problems people have with drugs start when they are much, much younger....which goes right back to the single parent family issue.

...a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

Like I said, this is research from a liberal think tank, and they're now saying most of the same stuff conservatives have been saying for decades.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I pointed out that all jobs was a imprecise statement. but stated that the majority are.
Yes bizarrely you keep arguing that the data disagrees with my position, which is that there every new job added wasn't a service sector bartender or waiter.

Quote:
Since you apparently do not comprehend the document you are referring too (and that the numbers are broken down) heres some news articles to help you:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/b...ow-paying.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/bu...paid-ones.html

Credit Suisse low wage hours acceleration - Business Insider

Help wanted: Most U.S. job openings are for low-skill, low-pay workers
Hey look it is King Straw Man again arguing against something I've never said.

Let's repeat for what the fifth time?

I do not agree that all new jobs are low paying service sector jobs like bartenders and waiters. The chart I linked to proves this, since it has hundreds of thousands of well paying jobs that aren't bartenders and waiter type jobs.

King Straw Man is refuting this by showing there are more low wage jobs than better ones, which is an argument nobody has made. King Straw Man argues against a manufactured position.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kevin View Post
Moderator cut: .
All newly created jobs are low paying jobs in service sector, waiters and bartenders. Those jobs don't come with so great benefits, if any. Wall Street has moved long time ago all good paying jobs overseas to the Third World.

Entire so called "recovery" since 2008 is an illusion and one big fat lie. Real Propaganda!!!!!!

For a REAL RECOVERY to happen there are certain elements that need to be in place for a real expansion of the economy. First, and foremost, there need to be expanding employment, expanding wages, and manageable debt levels so that consumers can take on debt to make the economic machine move forward.
None of those three elements are in place today -- quite the opposite: lousy service sector jobs, declining or stagnat wages, and the highest personal and national debt levels in the history of the earth.

Real wages stopped growing in 1970. They have been declining ever since. The elimination of high-paying jobs by 'business efficiency' is the main reason for this. The fact that the main part of this 'efficiency' is, as always, substituting technology for workers -- and, this time, sending jobs overseas does not help the picture of declining real wages.

Now, as we well know, not all slaries and wages have been falling. The financial industry has never had it so good. The ruling class in America -- those who are so deathly afraid of deflaltion -- have been living like kings, feeding off you and I and our children. Debt is good for banks. Inflation of debt is what makes the bottom line of the banks flow like gold -- and makes stock prices of banks soar. We have just passed through a two-decade of inflation, of economic bubble creation, that made the rich much richer and made the rest of us more indebted to the rich.
Great post, sadly some people out there cannot see the forest from the trees.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
One major influential policy would be to stop subsidizing housing for single women with children.
It's important to break the cycle of permanent underclass but it can't be just this policy change in a vacuum. The rest of us got the memo. You get your education. You get your career established. Then you find your mate for a long-term relationship and think about reproducing.

If you're going to deny housing, you also at least need to give them trivial access to free birth control and abortions.

Poor people are poor because they make lots of bad decisions. They have lousy role models. They attend crappy schools. Most have, at best, average intelligence. In the 21st century economy, if you don't have 21st century job skills, they're competing with millions of other people without those job skills. Other than trying to salvage a small percentage of them through improving/reforming education, I don't think there is a solution to this problem. If you have 21st century job skills, you have a good job. Your spouse probably also has 21st century job skills and has a good job. The whole jobs and poverty thing is tied to the new economic reality that automation and global competition have diminished the value of unskilled labor. Neither political party has a fix for this because there is no way to fix it. It creates a challenging social problem. What do you do with all those people who aren't capable of more than a McDonald's or Walmart job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics