Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Is it something that changes facts through repetition? No? Then you have no point.
No, it's someone who has only one answer to all the questions in the world. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Ummm, facts are facts regardless of how you interpret them. Wages are stagnant. What "rational interpretation" changes that?
"Real average hourly earnings increased 2.0 percent,seasonally adjusted, from August 2014 to August 2015. This increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3-percent increase in the average work-week resulted in a 2.3 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period."
-- Bureau of Labor Statistics, 16 September 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:34 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
No, it's someone who has only one answer to all the questions in the world. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Then go on your little rant when he posts it in an irrelevant discussion.

Quote:
"Real average hourly earnings increased 2.0 percent,seasonally adjusted, from August 2014 to August 2015. This increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3-percent increase in the average work-week resulted in a 2.3 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period."
-- Bureau of Labor Statistics, 16 September 2015
A 2.3% increase in the last year? Seriously? This is like having a conversation about climate change and you're that guy that chimes in with "it felt pretty nice outside today, so where's all this climate change? Hurrrr"
First of all, a 2.3% increase is nothing. Wages are extremely depressed. Second, that 2.3% still fails to meet the increase in wealth for the top earners. Income inequality is still growing, faster than ever.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
When you make only minimum wage of course you want a higher wage. Only those people who make much higher wages see no need to give anyone making so little more money!
I make a much, much higher wage. I want them to have a bit more money. It raises their living standard and it means they have money to spend on my employer's products, which means I also get paid more.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:27 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
People think raising minimum wage will increase their standard of living, they argue that Europe has high wages and they're somehow doing great. This may work out in the short term, but the prices of other things will continue to raise as well. Think when you go to the store- chicken may be 7 or 10 dollars one week, then it goes up for any variety of reasons. But your wages are still the same, so you demand higher wages. Even if your wages did increase, down the road your cost of living would continue to increase, putting you right back where you started.
So it's not that you want the minimum wage to go up, you really want the cost of living to go down.
What do you think?
I recollect that upper management in USA enjoys robust 25%/year pay increases for the past 30 years. What I dont recollect you rising an alarm over inevitable price hike at grocery stores this never ending windfall leads to.

What are those mysterious market forces that exhibit such a steady stupendous generocity to some people (rain or shine) while throwing a bone without meat to the rest?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
One bad thing about this, raising minimum wage to $15/hr would make blue collar working stiffs look like fools, the dangerous, unhealthy etc. jobs they do dont pay much more than $15/hr. Effectively, lower middle class will subsidize minimum wage hike to the point where many blue collar types should fight for minimum wage jobs that dont kill one' s health as fast as hardcore blue collar jobs do.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
People think raising minimum wage will increase their standard of living, they argue that Europe has high wages and they're somehow doing great. This may work out in the short term, but the prices of other things will continue to raise as well. Think when you go to the store- chicken may be 7 or 10 dollars one week, then it goes up for any variety of reasons. But your wages are still the same, so you demand higher wages. Even if your wages did increase, down the road your cost of living would continue to increase, putting you right back where you started.
So it's not that you want the minimum wage to go up, you really want the cost of living to go down.
What do you think?
While I think higher wages = good, my concern would be employers would start cutting back their workforce and/or cutting back employees' hours. So employees wouldn't really benefit from it.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:54 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
How many times have you posted that same graph? Oh, that's right....6,371.
You should applaud my persistence in debunking a fallacy that keeps getting repeated over and over and over...

Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I make a much, much higher wage. I want them to have a bit more money. It raises their living standard and it means they have money to spend on my employer's products, which means I also get paid more.
The cycle of production (and profits) and consumption (and wages) is lost on many people...

In truth the higher minimum wage results in income redistribution to the working poor. And that's it. The effects on unemployment and productivity are nil. Possibly even beneficial to the economy as a whole.

So the decision is whether or not you want a substantial underclass of people in this country who work but make so little that they are still in poverty.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
One bad thing about this, raising minimum wage to $15/hr would make blue collar working stiffs look like fools, the dangerous, unhealthy etc. jobs they do dont pay much more than $15/hr.
Then they would make more. MW sets the floor.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The cycle of production (and profits) and consumption (and wages) is lost on many people...

In truth the higher minimum wage results in income redistribution to the working poor. And that's it. The effects on unemployment and productivity are nil. Possibly even beneficial to the economy as a whole.

So the decision is whether or not you want a substantial underclass of people in this country who work but make so little that they are still in poverty.
R ruff, you’re correct.
The federal minimum wage rate’s among the factors affecting our nation’s economy. To the extent the rate’s purchasing power is reduced, USA’s numbers and their extents of poverty (proportional to the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar) are increased.

[That’s the logical justification for proposed pegging the minimum wage to the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar. Social security retirement benefits’ purchasing power has been successfully retained by annually pegging them to the Cost-Price index number].
The minimum wage rate is much more a victim rather than an inducer of the U.S. dollar’s reduced purchasing power. The minimum rate is not among the primary causes of currency inflation.

Respectfully, Supposn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics