Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,183,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So what if it was the BLS press release?
LOL! BLS is differnet from "the guy".

Quote:
That doesnt change the fact that the median and the average are extremely different values. The median has gone down. Thats the number that matters to most of us, and that impacts most of us.
Actually, they are each just calculated statistical indicators that have no impact on you at all.

Quote:
I know why they would publish the average-because depending on your discussion that's a important number.
Then why do we see these complaints over publication of an average? If they published a median instead, the very same people would be whining about that. Because they'd been told to.

Quote:
Yes earnings...
As I had to point out.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be mean with this, I really am unsure if its a mistaken understanding on your part or not.
You've no idea!
-- Kate Beckett

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-03-2015 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
In general you'd expect the businesses to raise prices to cover the increased labor costs.
Many businesses would do anything BUT raise prices. It would depend on the price-elasticity of demand. There are always places to cut or re-source or double up in order to absorb a cost increase. And it's not like the price of low-wage labor is the only thing that bounces around on you. Prices of ALL your inputs and consumables will be subject to the very same fluctuations. Part of being a competent business person is being able to adapt to or take advantage of those price moves. If you can't stand that sort of heat, you don't belong in the kitchen.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:55 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Many businesses would do anything BUT raise prices. It would depend on the price-elasticity of demand.
I already explained that. If businesses raise prices to just cover their higher labor costs, *real* prices won't increase for the economy as a whole. There is no change in aggregate demand either.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I already explained that. If businesses raise prices to just cover their higher labor costs, *real* prices won't increase for the economy as a whole. There is no change in aggregate demand either.
Huh? Businesses do not operate for the benefit of the "economy as a whole". They operate within the bounds of their own markets, which often dictate that you do anything BUT raise prices simply because the cost of a factor input went up.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
simply because the cost of a factor input went up.
It went up for all their competition as well. There isn't any reason for them to not raise prices, unless the competitive market suddenly changed. But that would have to be caused by some other factor so would be comparing apples to oranges.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It went up for all their competition as well. There isn't any reason for them to not raise prices, unless the competitive market suddenly changed. But that would have to be caused by some other factor so would be comparing apples to oranges.
I can't make decisions for my competitors. They can and will do whatever they like. An increase in the minimum wage is meanwhile no different from an increase in the price of gasoline, and if I've got a price-sensitive market share, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid raising prices as the result of either one. .

Old 10-04-2015, 03:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
When you make only minimum wage of course you want a higher wage. Only those people who make much higher wages see no need to give anyone making so little more money!
Okay, double the minimum wage. Here's the outcome....those WORTH the higher wage due to better skills will get those jobs instead of the lower skilled people.

Then what?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
if I've got a price-sensitive market share, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid raising prices as the result of either one.
The only thing you can do is take a smaller margin. Gotta wonder why you weren't doing that before if it was such a good idea.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay, double the minimum wage. Here's the outcome....those WORTH the higher wage due to better skills will get those jobs instead of the lower skilled people.
Not how it works...

Don't those people with better skills already have jobs?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
LOL! Nobody pays workers what they are worth. They are paid what they cost in a market that is heavily tilted toward employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics