Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I don't get why any citizen would oppose increasing the min wage (except the employers, of course).
It actually makes no sense for employers to be against it. It won't effect their bottom line on average.

But raising the MW is income redistribution that favors the working poor. People who are not in that category will experience a small reduction in living standard.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:15 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's an incredibly naive statement. If it were true, corporations would soon have NO workers.

Really? You don't understand ANY of the reasons why people would be opposed to that idea?

Even if they don't do a quantity or quality of work that would earn them a "livable" wage?
Costco pays more yet they still have workers. You do know we are talking about people not robots people who need money to live so I am not sure how you can argue that someone's work is not enough to live on if that is the case then then job should not exist.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Costco pays more yet they still have workers. You do know we are talking about people not robots people who need money to live so I am not sure how you can argue that someone's work is not enough to live on if that is the case then then job should not exist.
Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and give it a couple years. Many of those jobs won't exist because machines will be doing them.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:45 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and give it a couple years. Many of those jobs won't exist because machines will be doing them.
Automation is going to come whatever the min wage is because you do not have to pay machines so min wage has nothing to do with it. It may cause automation to come faster but it is not the cause. People want to blame min wage for everything automation, prices raising, unemployment as long as it fits their agenda.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:53 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Costco pays more yet they still have workers.

Costco does pay their employees well. It is a great company to work for. Employees stay with the company because they A: pay a minimum starting wage of $11 an hour B: offer great benefits and C: treat their employees well.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
There seem to be some confusion here. The first I will point out is that big business do not really care about a $15 dollar minimum wage. People still need to shop and eat, hence they can just increase prices or decrease the number of workers.

Secondly, the idea that high qualified jobs will also benefit is a myth. There is no reason why that would happen. Qualified workers are not going to look for work at Walmart, and with a $15 minimum wage they wouldn't be able to get a job at Walmart. Increasing the wage on minimum workers, do not increase the need to for qualified workers, hence their wage will stay the same or potentially increase with a few dollars.

Getting a low qualified job in a market like this will be hard, because
1. People will stay at their jobs for much longer, leader to less job opening
2. People from other states/cities will be more interested in the job openings, because they pay more
3. Companies will reduce the number of workers to maximize profit,
4. Some places will shut down, because people won't buy their products if they are twice as expensive. Remember, the majority didn't get a wage increase, and still has the same purchasing power.

A $15 minimum wage is so high, the effect will be noticed almost immediately. But from experience when they really will notice it, is when the US economy slows down. Then company profits fall, they fire workers, now they have too few workers to do the work efficiently and their sales drop even more, hence they fire even more workers. This is a cycle that eventually lead to very high unemployment.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 AM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Costco pays more yet they still have workers.
True. But that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Quote:
You do know we are talking about people not robots people who need money to live so I am not sure how you can argue that someone's work is not enough to live on if that is the case then then job should not exist.
What someone's "needs" are has nothing to do with the value of a job. If I were married and had 10 children to support, I would "need" a pretty good income to be able to do that. However, If I am capable of only doing minimum wage no-skill labor, my "need" for income doesn't magically transform that minimum wage job into a $60,000/year job.

Do you really not understand this?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

But raising the MW is income redistribution that favors the working poor. People who are not in that category will experience a small reduction in living standard.
It's also a votes gimmick, and it's temporary. Robots will replace many jobs in the not too distant future. Japan is ahead of the US in that regard.

Those types of jobs were never meant to be careers.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So your solution to automation, which has been going strong for about 200 years now, is to keep lowering wages so humans can compete?

I'm glad that our ancestors were smart enough to know that there was a much better solution.

So a little econ question. How exactly did they pull it off? Why didn't automation kill jobs and wages in the past?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 PM

903 posts, read 583,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I'm aware of the shareholders as well. The point is that the people creating these profits are getting zero benefit from it.
So, who created the profits? That is the real question right. Did the burger-flipper put up the $ for the franchise fee, lease or land costs, equipment cost, attorney fees, insurance costs? What is the burger-flipper risking if the business goes belly-up?

There is a thing called risk-benefit. The ones taking the biggest risk should see the biggest benefit. The burger-flipper takes none.

If the burger-flippers want more $, why don't then ban together and create their own burger joint? Then they can pay even better and ride high on the hog.

Why don't they start looking at themselves in the mirror and solve the problem instead of expecting the Gov't to do it for them.

I mean surely all of these protesters should be able to pool their funds and assets and start with one. As it takes off, build another, and another. As they begin taking the workers from the other places, competition kicks in and forces them to pay better or shutter their doors. And for all of those wanting to see higher wages, I expect to see you as their first shareholders.

cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics