Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:38 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times

Advertisements

This is an economics 101 riddle. In an economy of two people trading apples for oranges profits are impossible, in an economy of 3 people trading aples, oranges and potatoes profits are impossible except the disaster times would force one party or another to accept an enequal exchange. Profits are commonplace in an economy of 300 millions people. Is it because "disaster" mode is a permanent feature of mass economies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:24 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
No. To both your assumptions and your question.

If you want the answer to your title, profits and wages both come from adding value. The apples and oranges require an investment in land, machinery, and labor.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:38 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
This is an economics 101 riddle. In an economy of two people trading apples for oranges profits are impossible, in an economy of 3 people trading aples, oranges and potatoes profits are impossible except the disaster times would force one party or another to accept an enequal exchange. Profits are commonplace in an economy of 300 millions people. Is it because "disaster" mode is a permanent feature of mass economies?

***SPOILER ALERT***

If I can make orange juice with 3 oranges, and "sell" it to you for 5 oranges, I have made a profit - it "cost" me 3 oranges and my "revenue" was 5 oranges - so I made a "profit" of 2 oranges.

Riddle solved.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
No. To both your assumptions and your question.

If you want the answer to your title, profits and wages both come from adding value. The apples and oranges require an investment in land, machinery, and labor.
OK, let's asume we are stuck on an island, I exchange 5 my apples for 6 of your oranges. For me to profit (in a conventional sense) means that all the oranges I received from you I could exchange back for all my apples I gave to you plus some more. Impossible unless both of us to diversify into other activities or to coerce each other using various means. Even then, profits are shortlived, we must diversify our activities and/or coerce each other endlessly to have profits.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

***SPOILER ALERT***

If I can make orange juice with 3 oranges, and "sell" it to you for 5 oranges, I have made a profit - it "cost" me 3 oranges and my "revenue" was 5 oranges - so I made a "profit" of 2 oranges.

Riddle solved.
Diversification into a juice squeezing biz solves the riddle temporarely only. At that rate sooner or later you'll have all the oranges and all the apples. The other guy must diversify and sell you apple juice not to lose his oranges. So it is back to square #1, except that you cannot trade oranges, apples, orange and apple juice at a profit for any extended period of time. You must diversify endlessly and then there are just 24 hours in a day. So two men island economy must be nonprofit or deadly.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Diversification into a juice squeezing biz solves the riddle temporarely only. At that rate sooner or later you'll have all the oranges and all the apples. The other guy must diversify and sell you apple juice not to lose his oranges. So it is back to square #1, except that you cannot trade oranges, apples, orange and apple juice at a profit for any extended period of time. You must diversify endlessly and then there are just 24 hours in a day. So two men island economy must be nonprofit or deadly.
If you have 10,000 people with lots of oranges each, and you are the one making the orange juice, it'll be an awfully long time before you've got all the oranges. If you never "spend" any of them, it will happen eventually, but if this means there is no profit, then the fact that you in theory will eventually have all the world's currency if you always earn and never spend would also by the same token mean that no one ever makes a profit. Is that what you wish to argue?

Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Here is my take. a small economy, two people one owner one worker. the worker makes something the worker uses but the owner doesn't. The owner pays the worker less than is charged for the product. The difference is loaned out. Profit margins are financed.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Here is my take. a small economy, two people one owner one worker. the worker makes something the worker uses but the owner doesn't. The owner pays the worker less than is charged for the product. The difference is loaned out. Profit margins are financed.
In principle, there is no reason you can't have an economy with profitable enterprises with zero debt.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In principle, there is no reason you can't have an economy with profitable enterprises with zero debt.
With non compensation for labor you are correct. Grow crops they work for no money, they get eaten. But you have to pay your workers less than their economic value in order to make a profit. The difference between their economic value and their pay has to come from somewhere. The accumulation of debt in the system is the result.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
This is an economics 101 riddle. In an economy of two people trading apples for oranges profits are impossible,...
In a real economy, I would only trade apples if I had a surplus of apples. Surplus = Profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics