Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Well they want the cheap labor.

Then they will never get the concept of a living wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I saw 10% unemployment, low wage service jobs, strip malls, and crime
I don't know when you were there but here are the 2015 state unemployment rates by state:

State Unemployment Rates | December 2015

States with the highest unemployment rates (between 6.6 and 5.2) were:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
California
Connecticut
DC
Georgia
Illinois
Louisiana
Mississippi
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Washington
West Virginia

Out of those, only six had unemployment figures over 6 percent and none were over 6.6 percent.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I'll concede DC only because of the government jobs. Boston falls under NY (which I mentioned) since they're close together (somewhat). Miami has a weak economy only supported by tourism.
DC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US, ironically.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The folks I that sold my home paid $2800 for it in 1936... it sold new for $2850 in 1922

In 1995 I paid $100,000
The same dollars today would translate to about $40,000. Throw in improved location, supply and demand, etc. and there you have it.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Funny you should mention this.

I lady I worked with 26 years retired and they sold their mobile home in the SF Bay Area and were able to buy a 10 year old brick home in Alabama on 2+ acres with a shop and pool...

It will soon be 2 years... while she likes the house... she is desperate to come back to the Bay Area... her husband has family in Alabama and has settled in... I don't how she can come back... the mobile home they sold two years ago is a lot more expensive today... she is 58 and having a hard time finding work and has been told she had a California accent.
Interesting anecdote but for every anecdote there's one with an opposing viewpoint.

Texas is full of Californians who have settled in nicely while making major upgrades in housing. I could say the same about North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, etc.

Alabama has some nice areas but as much as I love the American South, I wouldn't voluntarily choose Alabama. That being said, happiness basically comes from within.

Tell your friend to take a vacation to California with the savings she's got due to the lower COL in Alabama.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
DC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US, ironically.
The DC metro area has one of the lowest unemployment rates for large metro areas in the U.S.

The city proper has a high rate because of a section of residents with low incomes and low educational attainment levels.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The DC metro area has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the U.S.

The city proper has a high rate because of a section of residents with low incomes and low educational attainment levels.
I'm not talking about surrounding areas in Virginia or Maryland. I'm talking about the city of Washington DC, which has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It is a bitter feeling to pay through the nose and have nothing to show for it while others are building wealth while paying less than you.
It's a bitter feeling to work 40 hours (plus) a week while others work far less than that and still expect to have things that you do......

Old 02-15-2016, 08:06 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
This exactly.

Another thing to consider is that many buyers today aren't willing to buy the homes that actually match their budget. A 1200 square foot starter home with one bathroom and linoleum floors and FORMICA countertops? HELL NO.

Interest rates are at record lows. There are tons of houses out there, and yet people keep buying and building brand new ones.
Sounds like a great flip opportunity.

Buy that starter house, rip out the linoleum & formica & maybe the cabinets, install tile, granite, new cabinets, new paint, new landscaping, new appliances, then sell it for a profit.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Out of those, only six had unemployment figures over 6 percent and none were over 6.6 percent.
...but ...but ...those government unemployment figures are a conspiracy! Don't you read the C-D Economics message board?

Unmotivated, unskilled workers will have a hard time buying a home anywhere but the lowest cost parts of the country. Nobody ever said it was a right for people to be able to earn the income to afford housing where they grew up. I lived my entire adult life "away" because that's where the job opportunities were. A married couple making $15.00/hour can afford housing in the low cost parts of the country. I know plenty of people who were chased out of metro-Boston who are living well in the Carolinas. The entire history of the United States is one of economic migration. Ellis Island. Covered wagons. Some succeed. Sometimes, you have the Donner party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics