Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Nonsense. Most new jobs are unskilled and paying under $15/hr. I've got a degree and can't even get somebody to skill me into anything besides factory work for $14 an hour. We asked the company about an apprenticeship program, do they have it, why can't you skill/train us? I want to get trained/skilled. Oh, we don't have the budget for those training programs.. Land of opportunity? huh.
Unfortunately, all to many in my generation are more concerned with making money for their retrirement accounts via mindless, robo mutual funds than they are in the future of thru children and grandchildren.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Most of those parasites are the employees you are talking about. If you have any of your retirement accounts in equities you are one of those parasites.
I don't have any mindless, robo retirement accounts. And you are clueless about how hard people are working nowadays for peanuts.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I don't have any mindless, robo retirement accounts. And you are clueless about how hard people are working nowadays for peanuts.
lol, I am one of those hard working young people. You are the old dude that doesn't have a clue.

If you invest in any mutual funds, index funds, or exchange traded funds, you own all of the companies you are ragging on.

Most popular investment in the US: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

Look at the top 10 holdings.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Nonsense. Most new jobs are unskilled and paying under $15/hr. I've got a degree and can't even get somebody to skill me into anything besides factory work for $14 an hour. We asked the company about an apprenticeship program, do they have it, why can't you skill/train us? I want to get trained/skilled. Oh, we don't have the budget for those training programs.. Land of opportunity? huh.

An unskilled factory job paying $14/hour is about standard. Unskilled is the key word.

How did the people at the upper levels get there? I'll bet they had to work there for awhile at the entry level unskilled job.

If you're a union shop (and maybe even if you aren't) moving into an apprenticeship program is going to be a bid in by seniority, so that will take awhile. Meanwhile you're working an unskilled labor job where, presumably, you're learning about the product.

I hope you realize that in some manufacturing industries in some areas of the US that $18/hour is top rate for journeymen.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
lol, I am one of those hard working young people. You are the old dude that doesn't have a clue.

If you invest in any mutual funds, index funds, or exchange traded funds, you own all of the companies you are ragging on.

Most popular investment in the US: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

Look at the top 10 holdings.
Yeah right. The easy path to wealth and retirement. Right. Believe the fairy tale as long as it lasts. When the companies go Poof! As they did during the last to crashes maybe then you'll start understanding why workers care. Loss of everything is CA real eye opener.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An unskilled factory job paying $14/hour is about standard. Unskilled is the key word.

How did the people at the upper levels get there? I'll bet they had to work there for awhile at the entry level unskilled job.

If you're a union shop (and maybe even if you aren't) moving into an apprenticeship program is going to be a bid in by seniority, so that will take awhile. Meanwhile you're working an unskilled labor job where, presumably, you're learning about the product.

I hope you realize that in some manufacturing industries in some areas of the US that $18/hour is top rate for journeymen.
zie92mg9z says they have a college degree and that is all they can get for work. It kind of begs the question of what they studied in college. 4 years of useless education where you learned zero 21st century job skills doesn't open a heck of a lot of doors. This is the whole myth that Johnny goes off to college and that guarantees he'll be a 1%er. It doesn't work that way. If Johnny gets into MIT or Cal Tech or an Ivy and graduates at the top of his class, he probably has little problem getting on the fast track to be a 1%er with big bucks as a CEO a distinct possibility. If Johnny got C+/B- in high school, 500 Math/500 Verbal SAT scores, did 2 years of remedial high school at a community college and 2 years at a 3rd tier state school, that's not the fast track to become a 1%er. It's still possible but the odds are dramatically against it. Layer on $50K in school loans that can't be forgiven in a bankruptcy and Johnny's personal finances implode. You don't need to be academically brilliant and an over-achiever to be economically successful in the United States but if you don't start with that set of advantages, you have to really work for it. Nobody is going to hand it to you.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, all to many in my generation are more concerned with making money for their retrirement accounts via mindless, robo mutual funds than they are in the future of thru children and grandchildren.
You mean we don't go online sprouting the FEDs steal money from the poor and give it to the top 1%?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Yeah right. The easy path to wealth and retirement. Right. Believe the fairy tale as long as it lasts. When the companies go Poof! As they did during the last to crashes maybe then you'll start understanding why workers care. Loss of everything is CA real eye opener.
I don't think you understand how publicly traded companies function. The stock price is irrelevant to the success of a business unless we are talking about the IPO. The stock price typically acts as a proxy for the health of the company, but if Walmart stock price suddenly goes to $5/share for no fundamental reason the company would be completely unaffected aside from their ability to take on debt.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
zie92mg9z says they have a college degree and that is all they can get for work. It kind of begs the question of what they studied in college. 4 years of useless education where you learned zero 21st century job skills doesn't open a heck of a lot of doors. This is the whole myth that Johnny goes off to college and that guarantees he'll be a 1%er. It doesn't work that way. If Johnny gets into MIT or Cal Tech or an Ivy and graduates at the top of his class, he probably has little problem getting on the fast track to be a 1%er with big bucks as a CEO a distinct possibility. If Johnny got C+/B- in high school, 500 Math/500 Verbal SAT scores, did 2 years of remedial high school at a community college and 2 years at a 3rd tier state school, that's not the fast track to become a 1%er. It's still possible but the odds are dramatically against it. Layer on $50K in school loans that can't be forgiven in a bankruptcy and Johnny's personal finances implode. You don't need to be academically brilliant and an over-achiever to be economically successful in the United States but if you don't start with that set of advantages, you have to really work for it. Nobody is going to hand it to you.
I think college has been sold by this current administration, hence the student loan crisis. If you have too many people chasing fewer jobs, the bar will be higher. People now need a degree to be an admin which when I was in college doesn't need any degree, just a high school diploma.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I went to college because I didn't want to spend my life putting bottles in boxes. So I did. And ended up after graduating...........................putting bottles in boxes.

And there were no "training" programs 40 years ago where that company paid for my college. So I didn't get a degree related to moving up with that company. Which I did anyway because I had the degree, but I still had to show I knew how to put bottles in boxes before that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics