Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times

Advertisements

Floyd Fest is becoming a major event! How many people can they pack into that tiny town of Floyd?

http://www.roanoke.com/living/music/...th-photos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
The site is actually located just across the county line in Patrick county. It's about 80 acres and this year they had to move the off site parking to a new location from that used in prior years and it is further away. Had to arrange for tow trucks today to get vehicles out and then when the tow trucks started getting stuck it was local farmers who came in with their big tractors.

Yeah, Floyd Co. has a population of about 13,000 so the influx of 15,000 folks is a lot to handle and it looks like there were some major glitches with the shuttles that are supposed to take people from the parking areas to the main festive site. And that was before the rains came last night.

They've had to close two off site parking areas, one of which is also a camping area. They were then staging shuttle buses from Floyd Co. High School but that parking lot can only accommodate a few hundred cars at most. They then added space at Dreaming Creek's facility off Christiansburg pike.

Here's a link to an article and pictures in the Roanoke Times about the mess:

Rain wreaks muddy havoc at FloydFest* | roanoke.com

I am so glad that I did not go this year because I don't do the overnight camping but travel home 13 miles from the site each day.

I don't know if they own or lease the land where the event takes place but the ideal of course would be to move it in to Floyd Co. on a large enough site to handle all the parking and camping and put an end to most everyone having to schlep all their gear from the off site parking lots to the mains site if they are camping there or to have to take a shuttle bus back and forth from the music site to the camping areas every day.

Last edited by zugor; 07-27-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Although I have never been to Floyd Fest, I might try it next year. It sounds like an interesting experience. At least by the news reports there were people helping out. I went to a great air show a couple of years ago at the Lynchburg airport. There was little to no planning for this event. There were over 60,000 people attending with just a handful of shuttle buses to the Liberty U. parking lot. People passed out due to the heat. It was a nightmare leaving. I will make sure next time someone is paying attention to the details of parking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area