Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times

Advertisements

The pressure to do more with fewer employees never ends:

CITI: The 'Uber moment' for banks is coming — and more than a million people could lose their jobs

Bank layoffs are coming - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
In 2011-12, I was a full time RV traveler and did as much banking as possible electronically. At that time I thought the need for bricks and mortar banks would come to an end. I have reversed my position. For one thing I am no longer able to do my banking on a cellphone. Chase bank "updated" their app and it no longer works on my cellphone. So I started to use my small, backup account at Wells Fargo. Then WF did the same thing and my cellphone banking app no longer works.

Because my mobile banking no longer works, I was forced to go into the local Chase branch bank. Was I surprised. The branch has lines of customers even mid day. I found there are lots of issues with trying to do mobile banking. The process often does not work as in my case. Next, in my current location there is a large underground cash economy. I say underground because the use of cash avoids taxes for small businesses such as landscaping, corner stores, plumbers, electricians, maid service, day care, etc. Finally, there are lots of people who do not trust the security of mobile banking. Now that the FBI has made a big point about cracking cellphone security, I suspect that confidence will further erode.

I would have thought that the Feds would have just quietly broken into the Bernadino cellphone. I always forget how ineffective and incompetent the Feds are. They had to try to force Apple until they merely used a third party software company to crack the code. Anyway with the renewed emphasis on the security of cellphones I suspect even fewer of us will want to use them for banking.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It took me a long time to remember the last time I set foot in a bank - it was 7 years ago when I closed my B of A business account (after closing my business). Since then all of my banking is done with two credit unions, with deposits made by cell phone camera, and payments for every bill I have done online. Both have local cash machines if needed. I suppose there will be banks that survive, but I have seen several close up and remain vacant. As for security, the only time we have been victims of a hack, it was a bank that we didn't use for mobile banking, but was from someone that got into retailer systems where we had used a debit card in the stores.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It took me a long time to remember the last time I set foot in a bank - it was 7 years ago when I closed my B of A business account (after closing my business). Since then all of my banking is done with two credit unions, with deposits made by cell phone camera, and payments for every bill I have done online. Both have local cash machines if needed. I suppose there will be banks that survive, but I have seen several close up and remain vacant. As for security, the only time we have been victims of a hack, it was a bank that we didn't use for mobile banking, but was from someone that got into retailer systems where we had used a debit card in the stores.

Me too. I rarely need to go into a "shared branch" for my credit union. I can do everything online.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM

The cash from the underground economy is far more likely to end up under a mattress than in a bank account.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Some of us need to visit banks to get cash to pay for services. Usually the recipient will spend the cash and then it is deposited.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Me too. I rarely need to go into a "shared branch" for my credit union. I can do everything online.

My landlord doesn't do online rent payments...or checks.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 AM

My daughter's landlord also accepts only cash.

Gee, I wonder why?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
If banks would get down off their high horse and begin to provide personalized service from human beings that don't sound like robots, they would be surprised at how valuable these brick and mortar/human to human relationships can be. Not to mention profitable. Not everything is based on that additional .0001% of interest which the bank "pays" me; and what do I get for all those fees if there is no human to guide me through the banking process?

Recognize me when I walk in; treat me as a valued customer; stop with all the "Patriot Act" nonsense--if the banks knew who their customers were by making an effort, they wouldn't have to constantly be saying "we can't do that because of the Patriot Act". Adopt a "can do" instead of a "can't/won't do" attitude.

As a service business that provides a commodity service it is no wonder that people don't use the humans in the branch: they don't provide a value added service for the customer, nor the bank.

That, to my way of thinking, is a lost opportunity to grow and prosper.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My landlord doesn't do online rent payments...or checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My daughter's landlord also accepts only cash.

Gee, I wonder why?
Doesn't sound like a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics