Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is a big difference between having a million dollars which buys a 40k income in retirement and being wealthy , especially living in areas like nyc where 69k a year qualify's a family for life in a nyc housing project .
Looks like entire NYC should live in projects: Median Income. NYC Neighborhoods. The median household income across New York City stands at $50,711, according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. That's down from $54,057 in inflation-adjusted dollars for the 2007-2009 period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Looks like entire NYC should live in projects: Median Income. NYC Neighborhoods. The median household income across New York City stands at $50,711, according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. That's down from $54,057 in inflation-adjusted dollars for the 2007-2009 period.
Some of those people bought SFHs in the 70s when NYC was almost post apocalyptic. Back then they were cheap.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I am not one of those "Cadillac driving millionaires" but I have a net worth that's a multiple higher than the median millennial. I didn't do it by blaming the "ultra wealthy". I did it by taking advantage of opportunity and betting big and bold. Maybe you can join them by working hard AND smart. Taxation makes my life hard enough as it is.
Nah, working hard means squat if there are no suckers working for much less than your highness does. Slackers, making a fraction of your income, give value to yours. Latent narcissism is not a substitute for a systematic look, you dont live and labor in vacuum.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Nah, working hard means squat if there are no suckers working for much less than your highness does, that namely them, slackers making a fraction of your income, who give value to yours. Latent narcissism is not a substitute for a systematic look, you dont live and labor in vacuum.
I have no employees, I merely save aggressively and invest in index funds (with some funds in healthcare and oil stock funds) You have to find opportunity and invest in it.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Some of those people bought SFHs in the 70s when NYC was almost post apocalyptic. Back then they were cheap.
Expropriatory nature of the local taxation doesnt allow anybody to enjoy 1970s windfall in perpetuity. Unless they sell out and cash out, they are a) crushed by revised way upward property taxes, b) generate enough of income not to be crushed.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
I doubt you're more successful than me unless you own a SFH in NYC. Regardless it's not a lack of empathy, it's the belief that a person should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
I am a millennial who owns a multi-family townhouse in NYC, yet I don't even consider it anything special. Even in this thread I would say mathjak107 is more successful than me and very knowledgeable when it comes to real estate and retirement planning.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I am a millennial who owns a multi-family townhouse in NYC, yet I don't even consider it anything special. Even in this thread I would say mathjak107 is more successful than me and very knowledgeable when it comes to real estate and retirement planning.
Ah so you inherited, are a fundie, work as a C-Suite Employee, or are lying got it. If you really are a millennial you're way better off than him due to compounding returns.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I have no employees, I merely save aggressively and invest in index funds (with some funds in healthcare and oil stock funds) You have to find opportunity and invest in it.
Somebody has to labor for peanuts to give value to your upscale income you've generated while making nothing useful, edible, wearable or entertaining. Rules of the game allow parasitism like that, but there must be suckers laboring for much less, it is absolute must have. Imagine the world where everybody invests agressively and expects to live off investment opportunities they've discovered. Human race would be wiped out in less than a year.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Somebody has to labor for peanuts to give value to your upscale income you've generated while making nothing useful, edible, wearable or entertaining. Rules of the game allow parasitism like that, but there must be suckers laboring for much less, it is absolute must have. Imagine the world where everybody invests agressively and expects to live off investment opportunities they've discovered. Human race would be wiped out in less than a year.
Not everyone has the insight to aggressively invest but it helps those who do. My investing gives those people their jobs (as I am their boss in one way or another).

Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has the insight to aggressively invest but it helps those who do. My investing gives those people their jobs (as I am their boss in one way or another).
The people skimming the top are/were always remarkable in the past 10,000 years of human history. Exact rationalization of their deserving-more status changed over time, but no matter how you rationalize it, by birth, blood or insights, parasites need a host to live off, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics