Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You all are making me feel very good about what I did once . This was a long time ago . One Friday I went to cash my pay check at the bank it was written on because my bank was too far away and I was on my lunch hour and there were several employees there at the bank from my company . I walked up to the teller window and she cashed my check and I walked away and started counting it and she had given me 20.00 too much and I attempted to give it back to her but was waved away from her window and she stated that I had already walked away . So I spoke up rather loudly and told her Okay you just gave me 20.00 too much and I walked out of the bank . The security guard kept hollering after me Maam, Maam , I told him maam hell next time she will be more courteous to the customer . All the employees that were in the bank at the time just kept talking about what I had done . I don't feel bad about it at all . All the bosses at work agreed with me . I understand why people no longer feel like banks have their interest at heart because they don't they are greedy .
You're supposed to count it before you leave the window.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I walked across the street to Chase bank this afternoon and tried to turn in 4 rolls of pennies and ten dimes for three dollars. Guess what I was told?

Chase bank will not exchange cash for cash unless you are a customer of theirs.
Just donate your change in one of those jars that are everywhere. That's what I do with it. I throw pennies away. Not worth the time to deal with it and I hate carrying the stuff around with me.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,916,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You seriously have no bank accounts? No wonder it was so important to change ten dimes, sheesh.
No, I seriously don't have a bank account. I live on $200/month. I really can't afford to pay the $10/month they want for a checking account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Some of you think it is only a Dollars worth of cash, so they should just ignore their rules of not dealing with cash offered by non customers.

If I couldn't trust my employees to make a judgment call between accepting a sack full of pennies and ten dimes, then I would be really concerned about the intelligence of my employees.

Quote:

In fact many big banks, even have a special room for very large depositors to do business. They don't have to be out there doing business in front of everyone in the bank.
It's called a vault and it's used for business customers who have large cash deposits. I was a head vault teller for many years at BofA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

And yes, I remember the good old days too. The world was different. Businesses made a ton of money from everyone, and could afford to do almost anything, in the name of customer service. Like check your tires, and wash your windshield.
Which is exactly my point. What I am saying is that most of you seem to think that today's attitude is better. I'm telling you it's not. When businesses get so idiotic that they have to make some of these rules, it says something about how they treat their employees and their customers. We're a consumer based country but we can't be if we don't have stable jobs. And being employees who are treated like a numbskulls because they can't make those judgment calls on their own is part of of what's happening to break down the jobs that used to be stable employment situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
It seems OP must live completely on cash, so why not just use the ten dimes to pay at the register next time you buy something? That would seem simpler than trying to find somewhere to convert them into a dollar.
Because many businesses still get charged by their banks based on how many rolls of coin they bring in and how much change they get to run their businesses. It's account analysis - I used to do it for the bank. That's why many businesses refuse to allow you to pay with rolled coin. They tell you they're not a bank and if you want to exchange rolled pennies or get quarters for laundry, a bank is where you need to go.

Will someone here please explain to me why a grocery store needs to accept rolled coins and the bank doesn't? Isn't that a little like expecting your bank to sell lettuce and hamburger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Just donate your change in one of those jars that are everywhere. That's what I do with it. I throw pennies away. Not worth the time to deal with it and I hate carrying the stuff around with me.
Some of us can't afford to do that. Sorry. But it must be wonderful to have more money than you need and be so wasteful with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

It's like pulling into an old fashioned full service gas station, not buying any gas, but wanting them to come out and clean your windshield for free.
And if I had a business, that's exactly what I'd do. Telling people, "Oh, gee, I'm sorry, but our policy is you have to buy gas here before we can help you with anything," really says something about the business and how it treats its employees and its customers.

You shouldn't have to be paid for everything you do. Like I said, there was a time when doing a favor for someone wasn't such a ball-breaker. Going the extra mile for someone sometimes means going the extra mile, even when it's not for a customer. Most employees know when someone is taking advantage of them, but that doesn't mean that doing small things for other people should be against the "rules".

For those people who think everything is about money, I really feel sorry for them. They're missing out on something. I feel sad because there's so many people out there who would only do something for someone else if there's something in it for them.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,064,919 times
Wow, I get it now.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,553,017 times
I went into BOA today to break a $20 - we needed singles Moderator cut: . and they did it, no questions asked. Yes, I do have an account there, but they've never asked.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,598,487 times
Quote:
No, I seriously don't have a bank account. I live on $200/month. I really can't afford to pay the $10/month they want for a checking account.
Well then the answer to your earlier question about them losing something when you decided not to bank there would be definitely not.

Quote:
For those people who think everything is about money, I really feel sorry for them. They're missing out on something. I feel sad because there's so many people out there who would only do something for someone else if there's something in it for them.
Oh Jesus Christ let me lend you an extension ladder to get down off your high horse. People understanding the role of a bank hardly means they think everything is about money, they are missing out on something, or they wouldn't do something for someone.

You crack me up, come in here with a whiny thread about you were so wronged since the bank wouldn't change ten dimes for you. You couldn't just throw them in a change jar or spend them next time you bought something, nah it has to become some terrible thing where you are stuck in the difficult life situation of having money in the wrong format. Then when responses don't have appropriate sympathy level for your terrible plight they must all only care about money and they deserve your pity since you are a true altruistic soul while they have hearts of coal.

I wish I lived near I'd come give you a damn dollar so it could ease your suffering.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,247,095 times
Quote:
And if I had a business, that's exactly what I'd do. Telling people, "Oh, gee, I'm sorry, but our policy is you have to buy gas here before we can help you with anything," really says something about the business and how it treats its employees and its customers.
And now we know the rest of the story...

You are stuck in 1950's America. We live in a different world now. Is it better? Doesn't really matter, because it is what it is. If you tried to run a business on those models in today's world, you would be eaten alive. You couldn't charge what you would need to cover your costs.

Being told what you don't want to hear isn't always easy. But someone has to do it.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Technically true...but walk into any bank lobby today - and there are a lot due to all the branches. Usually outrageously expensive all brick with interior brass and marble. Anyway, I digress - almost all of those branches are EMPTY - crickets! They have a couple tellers that mostly work the drivethrough but otherwise have NOTHING to do.
Weird. I'm in my local branch about 15 days a month, and while it is occasionally empty, usually I have to wait in line, with 3 tellers helping people. Plus at least 2 of the bankers are usually with customers as well. I almost always have to wait to see one of the 3 bankers. And it isn't even the busiest branch in my area. And every month, on the 10th, I go to 11 other banks or credit unions in the area. I usually have to wait in at least half every month.

Maybe this is an east coast/west coast thing. I also only know of one branch in my area that has any sort of significant barrier between the tellers and the customers, and I know most east coast branches have bars or bullet resistant glass.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:07 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,949,988 times
How about the sign......."No Public Restrooms"........and Yes, even posted at some gas Stations.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 AM

8,639 posts, read 9,155,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I went into BOA today to break a $20 - we needed singles Moderator cut: . - and they did it, no questions asked. Yes, I do have an account there, but they've never asked.
They didn't have to ask you, not with the sign of the beast 666 stamped on your forehead.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: quoted text was moderated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics