Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
How about the sign......."No Public Restrooms"........and Yes, even posted at some gas Stations.

There's a local office tower (50+ floors, with at least two restrooms per floor) with "No Public Restrooms" on the glass entrance door.

My response: Not even ONE???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
They didn't have to ask you, not with the sign of the beast 666 stamped on your forehead.

Does Sign of the Cat qualify?
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting time at the bank this afternoon-signcat.jpg  

Old 03-29-2016, 05:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Because many businesses still get charged by their banks based on how many rolls of coin they bring in and how much change they get to run their businesses. It's account analysis - I used to do it for the bank. That's why many businesses refuse to allow you to pay with rolled coin. They tell you they're not a bank and if you want to exchange rolled pennies or get quarters for laundry, a bank is where you need to go.

Will someone here please explain to me why a grocery store needs to accept rolled coins and the bank doesn't? Isn't that a little like expecting your bank to sell lettuce and hamburger?

Not ONE person here said anything about businesses accepting "rolls" of coins for purchases. We all asked why you didn't make your next purchase using 10 DIMES? Not rolls of coins; 10 very tiny dimes. There isn't a business in the US, which accepts cash, that wouldn't take your 10 dimes as payment for a purchase.

Your original OP said you were exchanging 10 dimes for a dollar. You didn't mention quarters or laundry.

Also, if you live on $200/month, completely cash, I really cannot imagine that you have not received at least 16 quarters as change from purchases throughout the month? Why are you not saving your quarters that you get as change? And if you need more than that, I've never had a store refuse the "can I get one of those dollars in quarters?" request WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:47 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I wish I lived near I'd come give you a damn dollar so it could ease your suffering.
Well, to ease YOUR suffering, I did go to the store tonight and buy a few things with my 4 rolls of pennies and the ten dimes. I wish like all get out it had been you standing behind me waiting while the clerk counted those dimes and yes, all those pennies as well. Your response probably would have been to tell me to go to a bank next time. But, karma is a *****, so maybe you will get stuck behind someone like me one of these days at the grocery store.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

You are stuck in 1950's America.
Your memory is faulty. It's really only been since the 80s and 90s that most banks and CEOs have turned into what we're familiar with today. And for some businesses, it's only been since about 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
How about the sign......."No Public Restrooms"........and Yes, even posted at some gas Stations.
That's a little different. When my store let people use their restroom, we had liability problems. People would drink and pass out in there, and shoot up. We had people pee and vomit on the floor, miss the toilet when they pooped, and one kid even unscrewed the faucet and stole that. My manager finally banned the public from our restrooms when someone downtown used a private restroom, slipped, and sued every business in the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not ONE person here said anything about businesses accepting "rolls" of coins for purchases. We all asked why you didn't make your next purchase using 10 DIMES? Not rolls of coins; 10 very tiny dimes. There isn't a business in the US, which accepts cash, that wouldn't take your 10 dimes as payment for a purchase.
You mean the ten very tiny dimes a teller couldn't count and exchange for me? And what am I supposed to do with the pennies?

Unfortunately, I needed to make a purchase with the dimes AND the pennies - what I needed to get from the store cost a bit more than $1. But no worries, as I told Lieqiang above, I did just what you wanted and brought those pennies and dimes to the store and people had to wait behind me until the cashier counted them.

Quote:

Your original OP said you were exchanging 10 dimes for a dollar. You didn't mention quarters or laundry.

Also, if you live on $200/month, completely cash, I really cannot imagine that you have not received at least 16 quarters as change from purchases throughout the month? Why are you not saving your quarters that you get as change? And if you need more than that, I've never had a store refuse the "can I get one of those dollars in quarters?" request WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE.
LMAO You are so funny. I do save quarters, but it wasn't quarters I was needing this time. I used that as an example because in the past, I have been able to go into this bank and get quarters.

And how much spending do you think I do with that $200, anway? It's state disability put on an EBT card. I usually make a small purchase and then pull out $100 so I can get MOs for my rent and my computer bill. I do that a second time so I can pull out enough cash to pay for a MO for my car insurance. If I go to the Dollar store to get anything else, like toilet paper, etc, those purchases come right out of my card. I rarely even see the cash from the card.

I mean, it's not like I'm running around to movies and fast food places spending all this cash I have and not saving the quarters. In fact, I rarely go anywhere, which is why I spend the money on a computer connection.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think you are missing the point. You're not a customer. Their policy is to do that for customers only. You can say you might be one, so they should do it. But what that really means is they should do it for everyone, because anyone might be a customer. But they've decided they don't want to do it. It's a business decision that works for them.

We can all make up wild examples.

There's nothing "wild" about this example. This is just another instance of the unhelpful policies that are practiced by the big banks - which ironically are the very ones who could best afford to be good-natured and generous. We already know that Chase's indifference to customers (and to regulation) is exemplified by their CEO.

You're right, maybe it works for them, especially because there is no good avenue for people like me and Rodentraiser to get a complaint to the people who make the decisions. Just like when I complain that Chase no longer bothers with having a front desk for people who need to see someone on the platform. We can only hope that they take notice of how many people switch banks (I recommend Apple, by the way) or move to credit unions.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
OK, I can't even think of where to put this, so if any mod wants to switch it somewhere else, that's fine. I just figured banking, economics...you know.

Anyway, I was curious as to how other people felt about this.

I walked across the street to Chase bank this afternoon and tried to turn in 4 rolls of pennies and ten dimes for three dollars. Guess what I was told?

Chase bank will not exchange cash for cash unless you are a customer of theirs. OK, I could understand the rolled pennies. But ten dimes? Come on! The teller counted them in front of me, then handed them back when she found out I didn't have an account.

I went back home and called the bank and was connected to someone who worked at this particular branch. He verified that it was their policy to not exchange cash for cash if the person exchanging it was not a customer. I let him know that I may not be a customer now, but I was a potential customer when I walked in their door and thanks to the way I was treated, I walked out vowing I would never be a customer there.

Remember when you tried to get four quarters for a dollar at 7-11 and they told you they weren't a bank? Well, apparently, Chase is not a bank either!
Great story!
And it makes a lot of sense, just not to the rocket scientists who run a bank.
Imagine...treat someone nice now....and you may have a customer later.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:

Chase bank will not exchange cash for cash unless you are a customer of theirs. OK, I could understand the rolled pennies. But ten dimes? Come on! The teller counted them in front of me, then handed them back when she found out I didn't have an account.

Because if the money came back counterfeit, if you were a customer, they can track you down.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Well, to ease YOUR suffering, I did go to the store tonight and buy a few things with my 4 rolls of pennies and the ten dimes. I wish like all get out it had been you standing behind me waiting while the clerk counted those dimes and yes, all those pennies as well. Your response probably would have been to tell me to go to a bank next time. But, karma is a *****, so maybe you will get stuck behind someone like me one of these days at the grocery store.....
Seriously?

Moderator cut: . A grown man pining for vengeance with dreams of someone on an internet forum being forced to watch them exchange coins in line ahead of them. I guess this aligns pretty well with the personality of someone who can't change at a bank then acts like it is now an impossible task to carry a few coins and creates a thread to illicit sympathy.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: bickering

Old 03-30-2016, 06:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
I still can't understand why the OP couldn't simply pay for the item, that cost about a dollar, with the dimes and pennies. Not to do so seems to be very odd.

I do 98% of my banking on-line or at an ATM, but the few times I have to go into a branch (and this IS Chase), I swear it's all hard-luck cases in line ahead of me. People trying to cash checks without ID, etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because if the money came back counterfeit, if you were a customer, they can track you down.
*thumps head on desk*

Counterfeit pennies and dimes. What WILL they think of next?

FYI, most people get counterfeit money from tellers because if a teller is found with say, a counterfeit 20 in her cash drawer, it will be a loss on her record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I still can't understand why the OP couldn't simply pay for the item, that cost about a dollar, with the dimes and pennies. Not to do so seems to be very odd.
*thumps head on desk over and over*

Tell you what, next time you're in the grocery store, ask the clerk how happy they are to take rolls of coin to pay for a grocery purchase. Also, see my answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Seriously?

Moderator cut: .A grown man pining for vengeance with dreams of someone on an internet forum being forced to watch them exchange coins in line ahead of them. I guess this aligns pretty well with the personality of someone who can't change at a bank then acts like it is now an impossible task to carry a few coins and creates a thread to illicit sympathy.
First of all, I'm a grown woman.

Secondly, are you seriously telling me you would stand quietly and patiently in line while a grocery clerk cashier spent 5 minutes counting out $2 in pennies? I doubt it. I think you'd be the first one complaining about it.

Third, please read the title of this thread. It said "Interesting Time at the Bank this Afternoon". Where did I ask for any sympathy? I'm simply surprised that a little courtesy isn't present in this day and age.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-31-2016 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: quoted post has been moderated, bickering has been deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics