Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

From a WSJ blog entry by Josh Zumbrun. If the link does not work "Google" the article as it is live still.

"A growing body of research in recent years points to the striking fact that wealthier people are living significantly longer than less wealthy people, and the gap appears to be widening. Just this week, a study led by Stanford University economist Raj Chetty, showed that life expectancy differed for the top 1% and bottom 1% of the income distribution by 15 years for men and by 10 years for women."

How the Life-Expectancy Gap for Rich and Poor Skews Social Security - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 09:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
This is how we solve it the problem:

http://youtu.be/EzZzZ_qpZ4w

Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
And before anyone chimes in and says it is because wealthier people 'live healthier lifestyles and eat healthier food'. . . . .

Obviously. Because they can afford to and typically do not have jobs that wear their bodies down prior to their late 50s.

So: Social Security is in fact held up and funded by alot of working class people that are required to pay the SS tax and then burn out and die before they receive even $1 of it back. And the Ponzi scheme becomes reverse welfare for the wealthy.

Peace,

Sky-0

Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times

Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
maybe welfare will reduce itself eventually ha ha ha . then they can take the money going to those who don't work and put in the ss fund for those who do work

Old 04-24-2016, 04:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I don't think this is surprising at all. Aside from the obvious benefits of wealth like access to health care, many poor people are poor for a couple of health-related reasons: drug and alcohol addiction and pre-existing health conditions that prevent individuals from working.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:59 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
So: Social Security is in fact held up and funded by alot of working class people that are required to pay the SS tax and then burn out and die before they receive even $1 of it back.
The initial post is based on sound logic but your conclusion is flawed unless you can demonstrate the overwhelming majority of social security funding comes from working class people who die before 62/65/67/whenever benefit is claimed. There is a huge difference between wealthy people living longer and working class people never receiving $1 being the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
And the Ponzi scheme becomes reverse welfare for the wealthy.
And yet another person doesn't understand the definition of a ponzi scheme...

Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM

505 posts, read 764,902 times
Interesting article.

Even with this difference in life expectancy, the lower income worker is still getting more out of the system relative to what they paid in than the higher income worker.

From the article: "Social Security is designed so that people who pay more into the system receive more in benefits. After accounting for the differences in life expectancy, higher-income men who retire at 62 will receive five times their annual income from the system, whereas lower-income men will receive seven times their annual income. At age 70, higher-income men receive seven times their annual income, compared with nine times for lower-income men."

Also, it doesn't seem to take in to account that the lower income worker is more likely to be on SSDI (disability) or to eventually need Medicaid for a nursing home, vs. a higher income person.

Social Security still benefits lower income workers much more than it benefits higher income workers. It is certainly NOT some sort of wealth transfer from the working and middle class to the wealthy - in fact it is quite the opposite.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
The article also says:
Quote:
In this sense, the GAO notes, the system is still progressive. Just increasingly less so. Another caveat: Social Security benefits eventually max out entirely. Millionaires can’t earn multiples of their income from the system.
I've maxed out my Social Security contribution since age 26. Inflation-adjusted, I'd have to live to 100 to get back what my employers and I have contributed to the program. Sure, I have a higher life expectancy. I probably won't have the self-inflicted chronic health problems that the working poor get. I don't smoke and that's by far the biggest contributor to shortened life expectancy. I actually go to the doctor every year for a physical. Most Medicaid people don't even though they can do it at no cost. I get daily exercise. I'm aware of my nutrition. I don't do drugs or drink heavily. I'm at the dentist every 4 months getting my teeth cleaned.

Social Security is still a progressive system. Affluent people have behaviors that increase their average lifespan. The poor decision making the less affluent make throughout their lives applies equally to economic/financial decisions and personal health decisions.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I don't think this is surprising at all. Aside from the obvious benefits of wealth like access to health care, many poor people are poor for a couple of health-related reasons: drug and alcohol addiction and pre-existing health conditions that prevent individuals from working.
I think there is more to it than that, since we've always had alcohol.

The bigger issue is why in the hell are the gaps widening? Look at women. Low income women born in 1940 have a lower life expectancy than they had in 1920.

A couple years ago when I investigated this, I discovered that there is a reversal when you get old enough. The chart I posted above is for life expectancy at age 55. For people who make it to 80, the average life expectancy shifts in favor of the poor; an 80 year old poor person has an average life expectancy that is higher than an 80 year old rich person. I think the reason must be that the sickly poor are already dead by then, while many of the sickly rich are still alive. Medical life extension can only do so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics