Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 06:17 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times

Advertisements

What happens is the $1.00 menu becomes the $5.00 menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
What happens is the $1.00 menu becomes the $5.00 menu.
Did you bother to read any of the 700 + posts in this thread?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't see people being to excited to pay $10 plus for a combo meal .
Using McDonalds as an example. A 2X on wages needs only a $0.25 increase on a $5 item to cover it.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
No not hysteria just reality , when young people can't find jobs some of them find other ways to make money , not always legal ways .
That is what we have now. What is the fix? Lower wages? You can't live on what they are getting now on most places.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Because the wholesale price is under $2/lb or under $0.50/burger. I have no idea if they higher price is a big factor, but the fast food franchises are not doing well. Even McDs has been struggling. Others are on the verge of bankruptcy. And many of the individual stores are not profitable even if the franchise company is getting by.

Also in case you have not noticed, burgers are approaching the $10 price. I recently bought a whopper, fries and coke. The price was with tax was just under $9.
They've been doing that themselves for quite a while now... opening far too many stores, especially in places where saturation is already high. Many folks I know will only eat at them with coupons or other discounts (unless they truly have no choice like on the road). Their food quality hasn't really gone up (perhaps except for cutting out some artificial stuff), but yet, they STILL charge high prices for alot of their stuff.

When a business is struggling, I shall quote something that was posted in response to when I mentioned MY rents kept going up and up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, you need to adjust your Life-Style and Standard of Living. You're not entitled to Cable/Satelliite TV.
I actually kept cable and TV. However, when I picked a place to rent many years back, I was sure to take rent increases into account so that if my rent went up $50 to $100 per year, I wouldn't by evicted as soon as my rent went up a mere $1200 per year.

Places like McDonalds needs to take these factors into account. If they can't properly account for such expenses, they truly deserve to accept the consequences. McDonalds is NOT entitled to bailouts.

If you live in the US, you need to follow US laws, as well as the laws of the state you're in. I'm sure there are plenty of third world countries who would be happy to hire people who get paid $2 an hour, or take them on as indentured servants.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
That is what we have now. What is the fix? Lower wages? You can't live on what they are getting now on most places.
It's like some sort of double speak.... We have to kill animals, or else they'll die!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Good points . It's going to change of eliminate many industries entirely . I don't think that is the type of change the pro $15 crowd was looking for ...
People are just looking at it from an emotional point of view.
They think it will be a quick easy fix , but aren't looking at all the negative consequences for working people .
Well, good thing you're not in charge. Else, washing machines would be illegal because they're taking the business of folks who used to wash their clothes by hand. Automobiles would be illegal because people who breed and raised horses couldn't sell enough of them in a sustainable industry. Smartphones would be illegal because they're taking away jobs that folks used to do, but can now be covered by an app.

Did you try to open up a Blockbuster Video recently, because you seem to be living in the past

Old 05-16-2016, 09:43 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Using McDonalds as an example. A 2X on wages needs only a $0.25 increase on a $5 item to cover it.
Labor costs are about 25% for fast food places and usually over 30% for most restaurants. Doubling wages will add 25%. For a $5 dollar item that would be an additional $1.25.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Labor costs are about 25% for fast food places and usually over 30% for most restaurants. Doubling wages will add 25%. For a $5 dollar item that would be an additional $1.25.
Most people do not care about an such a little bit of a raise price they probably will not even notice. Raises happen in other places occur all the time but you only seem to complain about these places that hire low wage workers. If you think they cost to much go somewhere else. I do not even think you care about the raises you just do not want people who you deem less then you to have more.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
If the minimum wage were increased to $15 an hour, prices at fast food restaurants would rise by an estimated 4.3 percent, according to a new study by Purdue University’s School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. That would mean a McDonald’s Big Mac, which currently goes for $3.99, would cost about 17 cents more, or $4.16. The study notes that it doesn’t take into account the costs of turnover or any savings gained from higher wages.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/30/15-per...t-food-prices/

Last edited by rruff; 05-16-2016 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics