Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In my opinion inflation is very high (I don't believe the fake government numbers of almost zero inflation because I can see it with my own eyes, prices are rising very fast!).
The government reported inflation is a calculated increase in the overall price level, as approximated by a "market basket" of goods and services.

For any individual, their "personal inflation rate" can be vastly different, as you have experienced, because your personal "market basket" of what you personally purchase is different from the "market basket" used to calculate the CPI.

Given the nature of averages, while you experience a very high "personal" inflation rate, there will be others who experience a low "personal" inflation rate based on their own unique market basket of goods and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Subprime wasn't the problem. It was variations of no-doc loans, negative amortizing loans, strange adjustable rates, teaser loans. Subprime is way too wide to label the problem
Liar loans, no-doc loans, negative amortizing loans, strange adjustable rates, teaser loans and the like were not the root cause. They were reactions to the root cause.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The government reported inflation is a calculated increase in the overall price level, as approximated by a "market basket" of goods and services.

For any individual, their "personal inflation rate" can be vastly different, as you have experienced, because your personal "market basket" of what you personally purchase is different from the "market basket" used to calculate the CPI.

Given the nature of averages, while you experience a very high "personal" inflation rate, there will be others who experience a low "personal" inflation rate based on their own unique market basket of goods and services.
Yes, scary inflation if they would target sectors such as:
1) minimum wage workers in cities where minimum wages have dramatically increased! (Much higher rents, much fewer hours)
2) pre-age 65 retirees without pension or healthcare. My property tax and health insurance EACH increased 1000%. (3 days worth of taxes, or HC premiums are more than 1 month food budget for 2)

Many other situations where inflation is there, but not evident in stats.

It's hear folks. Government gets involved, it gets worse.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, scary inflation if they would target sectors such as:
1) minimum wage workers in cities where minimum wages have dramatically increased! (Much higher rents, much fewer hours)
2) pre-age 65 retirees without pension or healthcare. My property tax and health insurance EACH increased 1000%. (3 days worth of taxes, or HC premiums are more than 1 month food budget for 2)

Many other situations where inflation is there, but not evident in stats.

It's hear folks. Government gets involved, it gets worse.

I'm with you. I, too, am a pre-65 retiree with neither a pension nor an employer-sponsored retiree health care. I'm paying $1100 per month now compared to peanuts while I was employed. Of course, when I was employed, that health care expense was paid for by my employer on my behalf and was part of my total income; but when an employer pays it on my behalf, I don't feel the annual increases.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Personally, I see the following possibility.

Many of us boomers have substantial wealth tied up in real estate. For many of us, the plan is to sell real estate & downsize, using the balance to help fund retirement.

However, that plan depends on younger buyers. What if those buyers can't fund the purchase of the boomers' real estate?

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM

50,377 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We have a curse of buying high and selling low. We just refinanced our mortgage, and after some major improvements, our house appraised at $1000 less than we paid 6 years ago.
This, in a city with very healthy growth. I don't get it.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:

Many of us boomers have substantial wealth tied up in real estate. For many of us, the plan is to sell real estate & downsize, using the balance to help fund retirement.

However, that plan depends on younger buyers. What if those buyers can't fund the purchase of the boomers' real estate?
Lots of people thought boomers would be downsizing in droves, but it hasn't happened yet.

Turns out boomers love to live in their large and paid for homes where they have room for other family members to live if needed.

Instead of selling, they could take out reverse mortgages if they need money, but what I am seeing is family moving back in, taking care of elderly and then keeping the house for themselves.

Quote:
A new study by the Bipartisan Policy Center predicts 38 percent of Boomers aren’t planning on moving at all. As for downsizing, the BPC reported that between 2011 and 2013, the average number of rooms per home increased, both for all Boomers and for younger Boomers born between 1956 and 1965.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 PM

283 posts, read 260,030 times
I don't think there is a nation-wide US property bubble like in the mid 00s, but some localized ones mostly on the west coast. There is a global property bubble though, from the reaction of central banks to the 2008 crisis. China's property bubble is probably the largest bubble in the history of human civilization, There are also serious bubbles in Canada, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, NZ, and some SE Asian nations. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them popped simultaneously in the next downturn like the US/Spanish/Greek/Irish/Icelandic/Baltic bubbles did in 2008, or the Japanese/German/Swiss/Swedish/Finnish/US west coast ones did in 1990.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Lots of people thought boomers would be downsizing in droves, but it hasn't happened yet.
I guess it depends where you live. Las Vegas, for example, is a retirement destination. We have tons of Boomers relocating in their retirement. It isn't for everyone, of course. The advantages include no state income tax, low housing prices, low general cost of living, and tons of entertainment. The downside includes summertime heat, summertime heat, and summertime heat, among other things.

Retired boomers move here in droves.

At any rate, it is still a bit early for the downsizing trend. Take a boomer born in, say, 1950. Right now they are only 66 years old - still middle aged. That's still pretty young. Give it another 10 years. When they are 76, they will probably want to downsize.

Quote:
Turns out boomers love to live in their large and paid for homes where they have room for other family members to live if needed.
True, but other boomers enjoy moving from the big paid-for house to the paid-for lock-and-leave luxury condo so they can take 100 day cruises.

Quote:
Instead of selling, they could take out reverse mortgages if they need money, but what I am seeing is family moving back in, taking care of elderly and then keeping the house for themselves.
Yes, of course. I think that's another practical option.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 AM

505 posts, read 765,367 times
Quote:

If this happens, then prices will adjust to where the younger buyers can afford. I think this is why, in part, some of the rust belt markets have not recovered and may never. There aren't that many younger buyers and the ones left have on average much lower wages.

On the other hand, this hasn't been an issue in the hot coastal markets or the growing sunbelt cities because demand is keeping up with or outpacing supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics