Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:36 AM

505 posts, read 765,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The fundamentals do not support the SF market. The price of a house is over 10x the median household income there
SF is a weird market. I don't know if prices there are supportable or not, but I will note a few things that indicate why they might be:

First, like NYC you have a lot of "permanent renters" who will never buy a house in the area. So you can't really compare everyone in SF with everyone in another area of the country where homeownership is much more common. If you look at incomes of people who are buying vs. house prices I believe it will be a lot more in line with traditional multiples for high income, high cost areas. It is not like 10 years ago when people were buying houses that were 10x their income with no doc teaser rate loans.

Second, there is the Silicon Valley effect. Among the people I know in the bay area, a fair number of first time homebuyers bought with the proceeds from a big one time windfall due to stock options or an IPO. This is a minority of the people in the tech industry, but there are still a lot of people - potentially enough to influence the market.

Third, there is a not insignificant number of foreign buyers, many paying cash.

Finally, rents are insanely high. Buying is not that much more expensive than renting in SF. One of the big indicators for the areas that suffered the most in the last crash was that buying got a lot more expensive than renting in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 12:19 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
That's because no one wants to live there.
Except the millions who do

Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
SF is a weird market. I don't know if prices there are supportable or not, but I will note a few things that indicate why they might be:

First, like NYC you have a lot of "permanent renters" who will never buy a house in the area. So you can't really compare everyone in SF with everyone in another area of the country where homeownership is much more common. If you look at incomes of people who are buying vs. house prices I believe it will be a lot more in line with traditional multiples for high income, high cost areas. It is not like 10 years ago when people were buying houses that were 10x their income with no doc teaser rate loans.

Second, there is the Silicon Valley effect. Among the people I know in the bay area, a fair number of first time homebuyers bought with the proceeds from a big one time windfall due to stock options or an IPO. This is a minority of the people in the tech industry, but there are still a lot of people - potentially enough to influence the market.

Third, there is a not insignificant number of foreign buyers, many paying cash.

Finally, rents are insanely high. Buying is not that much more expensive than renting in SF. One of the big indicators for the areas that suffered the most in the last crash was that buying got a lot more expensive than renting in those areas.
The dangerous, bubble-like problems of the SF market is it drags up places like Hayward ca and east Palo Alto that are actually quite crappy but get dragged up by the prices in other cities

Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Bruce Norris is looking for California's affordability index to reach 0.20 before it hits the peak.

Housing Affordability Index - Traditional

Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Where the "many areas" where prices are up to 15 times income?

BTW, with interest rates in the low 3%s, buyers in many areas can afford a house 4-5x their income and still keep their house payment below the "traditional" 28% of income guideline. The "traditional income ratios" of 2.5x to 3x income were based on an era when interest rates were 9% or higher.

The ratio of (fixed) monthly payment to income is what determines affordability, not the ratio of house price to income.

At a 9% fixed interest rate the payment on a 30 yr $100k mortgage would be $805/mo. At a 3.25% fixed interest rate, you can get a $185k mortgage for the same $805/mo. So at 3.25% you can afford almost 2x what you could when rates were 9%.

Income ratios are the best metric to determine the long term affordability of housing. In real terms Seattle is about 25% OVER long term affordability when compared to incomes (yes even with all our income growth)

So unless YOU believe we have entered a whole new world where Seattle can demand higher income ratios than NEWYORK we are coming back down.

Of course I could be wrong, I am not an economist.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:40 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
I go a bit further. In a pensionless society where people are expected to self-fund retirement and carry the risk of insolvency themselves, basing "affordability" on the purported normalcy behind financing 3x of your gross income to secure simpleton housing is just ludicrous. Sure, if I was my boomer parents and had 75% pensions waiting for me I could then live on 100% of my income, raise a family comfortably and leverage my monthly income into 3x gross housing costs. But in a Country where everybody is going to a social security check? Hell no.

As long as people support the idea of paying 40% of their net income into housing costs as some floor of "safe and dignified" living in metropolitan America, we'll continue sinking deeper into that retirement insolvency. Housing isn't helping anyone retire, except maybe Californians who like locusts, cash out and raise cost of living in the South for everybody after having not paid taxes into those state's pension or education systems for decades. You can't eat your house, sans reverse mortgage that is. Otherwise your supposed nest egg makes no sense when you have to rip your family and social life apart, remove the roof over your head and move away to the proverbial cheaper socioeconomic desert in order to realize the income stream to eat in retirement. Not an enviable proposition. For the rest, even worse, SS retirement aka poverty when indexed for the fact these people made above median income the day before their hands gave out.

What a silent dystopia.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
SF is the extreme but all the high COL regions are seeing pretty much the same thing. They have booming economies. The transportation infrastructure is lousy everywhere but NYC where rail and the extensive subway system allow people to commute without driving. It puts an enormous premium on being able to live close to where you work in a town with a viable school system.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
As long as rents continue to soar, how can housing crash?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:23 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
As I posted on another thread, housing starts are not even where they were in the early 90s, much less 2005.

Circa 2005 housing prices were driven by speculation. Now they are driven by good ol' fashioned supply & demand. We are not building much new housing these days, not like we used to.

Housing prices are up because people are finally getting jobs again & have cash in their pockets, and banks have finally unloaded most of their excess foreclosed inventory. During the recession, no bank wanted anyone to know how much property they owned from foreclosure & couldn't sell. From discussing it locally with a banker in my area... A LOT.

So no. The next downturn will be caused by something else.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
As I posted on another thread, housing starts are not even where they were in the early 90s, much less 2005.

Circa 2005 housing prices were driven by speculation. Now they are driven by good ol' fashioned supply & demand. We are not building much new housing these days, not like we used to.

Housing prices are up because people are finally getting jobs again & have cash in their pockets, and banks have finally unloaded most of their excess foreclosed inventory. During the recession, no bank wanted anyone to know how much property they owned from foreclosure & couldn't sell. From discussing it locally with a banker in my area... A LOT.

So no. The next downturn will be caused by something else.
The median net worth for millennials is something like 10k. How do they buy houses with 10k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics