Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM

150 posts, read 181,056 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRE...e3WSEEnkkhbBTQ

I think off grid is a crock too. Just MPO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 04:00 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I tried but I could not stand listening to Um, Um, Um about 20 times a minute. I just felt sorry for her. Cutting back on consumerism seems to be her message. That is great but I would think a young person might exhibit even some minimal signs of ambition and energy and some desire to make some accomplishments in life.

Sorry but in addition to the poor communication skills, I could only think of the deadly trio: fat, dumb and lazy.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I tried but I could not stand listening to Um, Um, Um about 20 times a minute. I just felt sorry for her. Cutting back on consumerism seems to be her message. That is great but I would think a young person might exhibit even some minimal signs of ambition and energy and some desire to make some accomplishments in life.

Sorry but in addition to the poor communication skills, I could only think of the deadly trio: fat, dumb and lazy.
I disagree, I'm always in line with people who are about working less and living life to the fullest. Society tells you to work, work, work, for what? For a car that you can show off or a house that you don't get to spend time in? I love the message and I think more people should look into becoming financially independent. She's going to have a paid off home at 36 years old that's pretty amazing I thought. Most people are so far in debt they can hardly breathe!

Old 09-14-2016, 04:33 PM

For many of us a career is more than just a job we need to go to. I chose a field I enjoy. (Fortunately so did my wife, and my kids and a great many other people I know.) I was able to make some significant contributions to society, to learn and better myself, to have achievements I was proud of, to learn and become a resource and expert in my field.

Along the way, I also made money to support my family and to be able to send two kids to college. We did not spend a lot of money on luxuries. We drove cars into the ground to the point where they were no longer reliable or safe. We hardly ever took a vacation aside from a tenting trip or a visit to relatives. When my career came to an end and I retired, I had money to travel and to learn and experience new things. I have money to support an interest in photography and some other hobbies. I can attend OLLI classes at the local University.

To me those are things that are worthwhile. Fortunately fat, dumb and lazy is not one of my kids. I would want her to get a better education including learning how to think and communicate. After that she may or may not become career oriented. I have an older daughter who is not at all ambitious. She is happy to make a reasonable income working in child protective services. She feels great about helping to save children from abuse and the side effects of broken homes and drug addiction.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
For many of us a career is more than just a job we need to go to. I chose a field I enjoy. (Fortunately so did my wife, and my kids and a great many other people I know.) I was able to make some significant contributions to society, to learn and better myself, to have achievements I was proud of, to learn and become a resource and expert in my field.

Along the way, I also made money to support my family and to be able to send two kids to college. We did not spend a lot of money on luxuries. We drove cars into the ground to the point where they were no longer reliable or safe. We hardly ever took a vacation aside from a tenting trip or a visit to relatives. When my career came to an end and I retired, I had money to travel and to learn and experience new things. I have money to support an interest in photography and some other hobbies. I can attend OLLI classes at the local University.

To me those are things that are worthwhile. Fortunately fat, dumb and lazy is not one of my kids. I would want her to get a better education including learning how to think and communicate. After that she may or may not become career oriented. I have an older daughter who is not at all ambitious. She is happy to make a reasonable income working in child protective services. She feels great about helping to save children from abuse and the side effects of broken homes and drug addiction.
How is it dumb to have a paid off property?
Unless you own your own business, you're not achieving much, you're just making money for a company that has hired you. At the end of the day, your contributions meant nothing and they chewed you up and spit you out and you lost a lot of time you could've been spending taking real trips, not camping trips. This is all because you chose consumerism, unless you and your wife didn't make much money. If that's the case that's too bad as well.

The whole point is to be able to do these things when you're YOUNG, not too old to enjoy traveling and enjoying life. It's what society tells young people to do, work yourself to death and then maybe just maybe, one day you'll be able to enjoy yourself.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloominOnion View Post
Unless you own your own business, you're not achieving much, you're just making money for a company that has hired you. ........
I worked for non profits in the healthcare field most of my life. My achievements include development of computerized systems that greatly reduced errors in laboratory testing. I would say that achieved something besides just making money. I have no way of estimating the impact of my innovations but certainly many lives were saved and the potential damage from lab errors was reduced by orders of magnitude. I also helped with studies in trace metal research and better understanding of nutritional needs and the impact of nutrition on health.

During my career I often managed a large number of people. I brought a win-win-win approach to each of the places where I worked. I attempted to make all management decisions so they would reduce healthcare costs (make money for my employer, if you like), while providing quality services that were of use to doctors and helped patients, and I pursued the third win of building a working environment that provided good jobs, good treatment and advancement/growth opportunities for those who working for me or with me.

As a side function, I helped to teach hundreds of physicians how to interpret lab results and I spent a great deal of time working with physicians on difficult patient diagnostic and patient care issues.

That is just a little of what you consider "not achieving much."

Meanwhile it seems you are interested in the message of the YouTube video. Maybe I read this wrong but I see a person who has a great deal of difficulty thinking and communicating clearly. To me she also seems fat, dumb and lazy. In addition it seems that more is seriously wrong. She complains of having tremendous stress even though she is working and her mortgage is very small. This does not sound healthy especially because it appears she lives alone and does not need to support a family.

Succeeding in life and in a career does not necessarily mean living unwisely, wasting money, or blowing it on luxuries.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I worked for non profits in the healthcare field most of my life. My achievements include development of computerized systems that greatly reduced errors in laboratory testing. I would say that achieved something besides just making money. I have no way of estimating the impact of my innovations but certainly many lives were saved and the potential damage from lab errors was reduced by orders of magnitude. I also helped with studies in trace metal research and better understanding of nutritional needs and the impact of nutrition on health.

During my career I often managed a large number of people. I brought a win-win-win approach to each of the places where I worked. I attempted to make all management decisions so they would reduce healthcare costs (make money for my employer, if you like), while providing quality services that were of use to doctors and helped patients, and I pursued the third win of building a working environment that provided good jobs, good treatment and advancement/growth opportunities for those who working for me or with me.

As a side function, I helped to teach hundreds of physicians how to interpret lab results and I spent a great deal of time working with physicians on difficult patient diagnostic and patient care issues.

That is just a little of what you consider "not achieving much."

Meanwhile it seems you are interested in the message of the YouTube video. Maybe I read this wrong but I see a person who has a great deal of difficulty thinking and communicating clearly. To me she also seems fat, dumb and lazy. In addition it seems that more is seriously wrong. She complains of having tremendous stress even though she is working and her mortgage is very small. This does not sound healthy especially because it appears she lives alone and does not need to support a family.

Succeeding in life and in a career does not necessarily mean living unwisely, wasting money, or blowing it on luxuries.
Well the girl in the video has worked her whole life. It's nice that you were a good worker and went to work everyday and did the status quo. Not everyone wants to spend all of their time making someone else's dream a reality.

If you liked your job, that's great. Most people I know do not like their job or 'career.' I've known lawyers looking for a way out, my cousin who was a nurse quit because she didn't like that career either.

If it worked for you great, but not everyone wants to work for the 'man,' and have little time to spend with their family.

One thing you never get back in life is time. I've read some inspiring articles about people who worked to retire early. One couple downsized, worked part time and even though they have less money they have more time to spend quality time with their kids and go to the park and not be stressed about work.

If working full time up until retirement age of 65 is what you desire, then have at it, but if you haven't noticed people are getting a lot smarter to the establishment. Look at all the people talking about living 'off grid,' and exploring alternative lifestyles. Small homes have become a major market.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,103 times
Quote:
Unless you own your own business, you're not achieving much, you're just making money for a company that has hired you. At the end of the day, your contributions meant nothing and they chewed you up and spit you out and you lost a lot of time you could've been spending taking real trips, not camping trips. This is all because you chose consumerism, unless you and your wife didn't make much money. If that's the case that's too bad as well.

The whole point is to be able to do these things when you're YOUNG, not too old to enjoy traveling and enjoying life. It's what society tells young people to do, work yourself to death and then maybe just maybe, one day you'll be able to enjoy yourself.
Not dumb if you work for the gov. You're not making money for anyone.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
..... but if you haven't noticed people are getting a lot smarter to the establishment. Look at all the people talking about living 'off grid,' and exploring alternative lifestyles. .......
You are obviously a young person. I lived through the flower power, hog farm, hippie, communes, and whole earth eras. Later I found there can be way more to life than getting high, getting by, and returning to some sort of subsistence living.

Those people who don't get an education, don't build a career and don't understand the wonders of the modern world, end up being left behind. They still need to work but they don't have skills that are well paid or that lead to financial security. As you put it they end up "working for the man" at the bottom of the pile. Like our video host, FDL, they can work but are often financially insecure and worried about making the mortgage payment. In her case, she seems to be trying to plan for failure so she can have a place to live if she cannot pay her utilities and has no running water. This is not clear thinking or planning or understanding how to succeed. If she has a house that is too large or costs her too much, then she should take some action. Unfortunately it seems that lots more is involved.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
I disagree, I'm always in line with people who are about working less and living life to the fullest. Society tells you to work, work, work, for what? For a car that you can show off or a house that you don't get to spend time in? I love the message and I think more people should look into becoming financially independent. She's going to have a paid off home at 36 years old that's pretty amazing I thought. Most people are so far in debt they can hardly breathe!
I think that one of the joys in life is finding something that you're really good at, and that others will pay you to do. It provides money, satisfaction, self-esteem, a sense of accomplishment, and forces a person to be at least somewhat disciplined. You also meet more people, esp those you have something in common with.

It's not the only joy in life. But it is a great joy. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't figured that out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics